Author Topic: M113 Family of Vehicles  (Read 84330 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline apophenia

• Suffered two full days of rapid-fire hallucinations and yet had not a single usuable whif concept in the lot !?!
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: M113 Family of Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:00:48 AM »
'The Bucket Shop' was a great resource for M113 reference and model stuff. Alas, The Bucket Shop is now gone but the Internet Archive has preserved most of its pages (and images):

http://web.archive.org/web/20011202055935/http://www.armouredengineer.force9.co.uk/bucket/intro.htm
Under investigation by the Committee of State Sanctioned Modelling, Alternative History and Tractor Carburettor Production for decadent counterrevolutionary behaviour.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 06:25:26 AM »
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:23:00 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 12:47:44 PM »

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:00:54 PM »
Obadiah's Fire-engines   http://wildfirefighters.com/

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 07:28:42 PM »
Australian T-50 M113 Conversion

One version of the 1/35th scale M113 from Academy does include the T-50 turret plus a few other interesting items such as the M40 Recoilless Rifle and flame thrower turret for the M132 Flame Track. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 07:34:33 PM »
Australian T-50 M113 Conversion

I wonder what the copper wire is meant to be.  I've never seen  T150 turret with a guard or handle shaped like that on it.

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 08:45:06 PM »
Apparently the guard is a "Fire suppression rail" to stop the possibility of firing the mgs into the cargo area of the Bucket.

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/firestorm/fst081.htm  (specifically the 3rd Photo & paragraph directly above this).

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 04:06:04 AM »
The book Vietnam Tracks, includes a photo in which one can see an ARVN M113 equipped with an M8 armored-car
turret, along with photos of M74C turret equipped ARVN and Oz vehicles.

Another early ARVN addition was the mounting of armored helicopter seats on top of the original ACAV-type vehicles for
unit commanders and their US advisors. 
"Evil our grandsires were, our fathers worse;
And we, till now unmatched in ill,
Must leave successors more corrupted still."
Horace, 65BC - 8BC. Marsh translation.

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 04:54:26 AM »
I do wonder if a version that would have six road wheels per side would degrade it's swimming capability.
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 05:15:45 AM »
Another early ARVN addition was the mounting of armored helicopter seats on top of the original ACAV-type vehicles for unit commanders and their US advisors.

Also known as "Pimping Your Ride" :)

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »
I do wonder if a version that would have six road wheels per side would degrade it's swimming capability.

The Australian Army uses the M113AS4 which is a six roadwheel modification of the baseline M113.  It isn't amphibious at all although it's also uparmoured which could account for this degrade in capability.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 03:07:58 PM »

The Australian Army uses the M113AS4 which is a six roadwheel modification of the baseline M113.  It isn't amphibious at all although it's also uparmoured which could account for this degrade in capability.

Regards,

John

As seen here

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 06:51:55 AM »
I just may try to build a version like that, :o
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 09:19:41 AM »
I just may try to build a version like that, :o

how about like this ??