Author Topic: Anti-Aircraft: SPAAG/SAM Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 53350 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Re: Anti-Aircraft: SPAAG/SAM Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #240 on: October 19, 2018, 12:35:49 AM »
Random thought:  M167 Vulcan Air Defense System (VADS) (see below) used in purely ground role (i.e. used against enemy ground forces not aircraft)......

Speaking of which, the Japanese JM167A2 "VADS-1Kai" is the only modification that I know of with equipment conducive to ground combat (even though the "VADS-1Kai" is still intended as an AA gun) in the form of an electro-optical sensor addon to the fire control.

Then throw in the Mk149 APDS for added firepower against light armoured vehicles.  I don't know how much of the Vulcan cannon used on Phalanx 1B is different from the stock M61A1 outside the barrels, but if the gun swap is straightforward enough, you can use the more-potent Mk244 ELC......
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 04:24:17 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #241 on: October 19, 2018, 03:12:01 AM »
Hmmm..diorama idea:  trench with M167 embedded in a horizontal firing position with normal troops on either side.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #242 on: October 21, 2018, 12:14:39 PM »

South Korea also came up with an upgrade to their VADS in the form of a thermal camera, the display for which appears to be added directly behind the existing gun sight.

I used to be under the impression that the E/O sensor on the JM167A2 is trainable instead of just elevating with the gun, but, come to think about it, I don't know for sure.
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #243 on: October 29, 2018, 10:57:33 PM »

A new Chinese 10x10 SPAAG vehicle, apparently armed with a 75mm autocannon.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #244 on: October 29, 2018, 11:44:31 PM »
Looks like a new toy from Mega Bloks!
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #245 on: October 30, 2018, 02:33:05 AM »
Interesting vehicle.  Mind you, what is the camouflage supposed to be merging with?

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #246 on: October 30, 2018, 10:32:30 AM »
The Chinese have become rather digital cam crazed over the last few years.  I understand the vehicle is in service with the PLAAF, which explains the use of the blues...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #247 on: October 31, 2018, 02:12:56 AM »
I understand the vehicle is in service with the PLAAF, which explains the use of the blues...

Just like the RAAF's uniforms (below - glad I got out before this), I have to wonder what they are thinking - camouflage against the sky perhaps? ???  Seriously?  maybe only of use as the vehicle (or person) tumbles out of the sky...

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #248 on: October 31, 2018, 09:05:33 AM »
Could be worse, Greg.  You could have been in the RAN and had a grey cammed uniform with day-glo stripes on the arms and legs... 

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #249 on: November 01, 2018, 12:39:44 AM »
Or the similar US Navy camo uniform, because, dayum, when I've been tossed into the sea because my ship sank, I want to be hard to find.

Beyond comprehension stupid.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:50:00 PM by tankmodeler »

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #250 on: November 01, 2018, 02:48:47 PM »

A new Chinese 10x10 SPAAG vehicle, apparently armed with a 75mm autocannon.

I'm guessing it's similar in concept and intention as the OTO-Melara Otomatic SPAAG concept of the 80's, except wheeled, as opposed to tracked!

M.A.D

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #251 on: November 01, 2018, 08:31:08 PM »
Camo uniforms are actually a cost saving as they do so stains or fading as badly as solid colour uniforms.  I hated the idea of the navy greys until I got to see them every day and they grew on my, this will never be the case with the RAAF ones though  :-X

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #252 on: November 03, 2018, 09:48:58 AM »
I'm guessing it's similar in concept and intention as the OTO-Melara Otomatic SPAAG concept of the 80's, except wheeled, as opposed to tracked!

M.A.D

Funny you should mention that.  It was the exact same response on the forum where I found the pictures.  Funny that, hey?   Chinese knock-off copy?