Author Topic: 1/48 Sea Beau  (Read 4506 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: 1/48 Sea Beau
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2019, 04:55:30 PM »
OK, f___cked-off-plus has been replaced by "I'll be buggered if this is going to beat me!" :icon_ninja:

I'm stealing the canopy cover from my other Tamiya Beaufighter. I'll be painting it up & fitting it tonight! Just try to gobble up this one, vinyl monster! :icon_punal:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2019, 12:20:01 AM »
Well, she's done! :D

No time for pictures tonight - I have to go to bed so I can get up to go to the Expo ... which starts in just over 6 hours! :o
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2019, 01:35:49 AM »
@Old Wombat - Now you have the perfect excuse to apply some special treatment to your second Beaufighter.  Bubble canopy perhaps?  Find a suitable size canopy/windscreen from another aircraft and see how it fits. 

Also, I feel your pain and anguish having lost a clear part and rediscovering it in the worst way possible by stepping on it and breaking it in the process.  I hope you do not rediscover your clear parts in this fashion. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2019, 06:58:46 AM »
And Falcon 1/48 set No.40 has Beaufighter canopies, it says in the list "Beaufighter Variants"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2019, 09:24:46 PM »
Photo's of the Sea Beau taken at the SAPMA Expo today:

And I can tell you that none of the 3 builds I took placed. ::)

However, I may have influenced SAPMA to have a "Military What If ..." category next year! :smiley:

PS: Oh, & I've already bought another Beaufighter, at the Expo. ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 09:26:29 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline kerick

• Responsible for all surrendered booty....Arrrr!!!!
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2019, 10:29:15 PM »
Nice work! Really looks the part! Far better than what I can accomplish these days

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2019, 10:49:57 PM »
Looking good!  Also, getting a new what-if category for the show is also good and long overdue. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2019, 01:24:26 AM »
That's a real looker and one of your best yet, Mr Wombat!

That Beau is worthy of a blue ribbon!

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

• Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2019, 02:23:38 AM »
Ooo, that is gorgeous  :smiley:

And the canopy story? Did the Carpet Monster surrender its prize?
"And loot some for the old folks, Can't loot for themselves"

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2019, 05:21:21 AM »
On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd rate that an 11. Gorgeous.

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2019, 06:12:27 AM »
There's a lot of work out there and the result is impressive !
Great job sir !
Alex

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2019, 06:40:03 AM »
Awesome job! Such a terrific looking build!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2019, 08:12:38 AM »
Just stunning  :-*

Do you have any pics of the arrester hook installation, I looked through the thread but didn't see anything although you mentioned it's from a Tracker.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2019, 09:32:02 AM »
So I came looking for the Sea Beau . . . . . . .
Not my preferred scale but . . . . . . .

OMG that's a brilliant bit of work Wombat  :P :-* great navalising modifications and a great finish, a very believable WHIFF all 'round  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Methinks it shoulda scored at least a gold, maybe some bias here  ;) , the work that went into it, and you chopped up a Tamigawa kit to boot (impressive  8);D shoulda impressed those who judge  :smiley: :smiley:

I have to agree there really should be a Military Whiff category in model shows throughout Oz. It's bad enough WHIFFs are lumped into and have to compete with Sci-Fi & Movie Subject categories here in NSW and the builds/ideas behind them get lost being judged with popular Sci-Fi & Movie subjects.
Maybe try again next year when they do have a WHIFF Category?

As I said, great build man, shoulda scored.  :smiley: :smiley:
Now back to an Airfix PR Mk.XIX (and others) to be finished for the Canberra Show  :smiley:
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"