Author Topic: Gingie's Build Thread  (Read 102935 times)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
Re: Gingie's Build Thread
« Reply #345 on: July 17, 2014, 11:17:01 AM »
Interesting.  Very interesting [he said while he stroked his beard]

I actually have something similar being planned, albeit a little different.  ;D

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #346 on: July 18, 2014, 12:24:12 AM »
Oooh, I want to hear what you have planned Rickshaw!

I'm curious how this will look under a coat of primer. If all goes well, possibly by tonight. At any rate, I have a much clearer idea how to do the AD Version of my Bandai M61A5.

Not much left to do. Just trying to max out the use of the Leopard Turret parts on this one. Have to resist the temptation to "do" something with the big white areas on the turret. I think best case will be to leave them along and maybe show off a neat cam scheme (hexagons?) on that area.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #347 on: July 18, 2014, 04:16:51 AM »
The gun is absolutely first-rate and fits like a charm!

All that detection gear really looks the business too.

I especially like the curved side hatch.

Brian da Basher

Offline buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #348 on: July 18, 2014, 06:41:19 AM »
That really all works, it has the chunky, purposeful look

When tied together with the sensor array it has that futuristic "project" type feel.

Love it. Be great to see under paint.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #349 on: July 18, 2014, 03:17:25 PM »
Woh! :icon_surprised:

I wasn't sure how I was feeling about this build until I saw the last pic.

Man, it's awesome! :D

The sensor suite & its fold-away system are brilliant &, far from being over-engineered, are exactly right for safe stowage of those sensitive pieces of equipment whilst on the move.

I'm trying to figure out where I'd put cable cutters to prevent SpecOps, guerrillas, insurgents, etc. from ripping off the sensor suite with strategically placed wires, though.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #350 on: July 18, 2014, 04:47:49 PM »
Oooh, I want to hear what you have planned Rickshaw!

All that I am presently able to reveal about this top secret program is that it is the follow on from the T249 Vigilante...   ;)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Global Moderator
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #351 on: July 18, 2014, 09:09:42 PM »

I hope this conveys my feelings
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Zaskar24

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #352 on: July 18, 2014, 11:30:29 PM »
That looks really good.  Everything came together nicely and looks like it belongs. 

I am really interested to see what you do with the Bandai M61A5 AD version as I just picked that kit up myself.

Offline Gingie

« Reply #353 on: July 19, 2014, 02:06:25 AM »
Thanks fellas! :))

The Bandai kit fits together superbly! I'm thinking dual gatlings up front, and a large RWS behind the crew commander, like a Leopard 2A7. I haven't figured out sensors yet..maybe a short mast aft of the RWS.

Working on a heavy reconnaissance vehicle today....

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #354 on: July 19, 2014, 02:09:13 AM »
Working on a heavy reconnaissance vehicle today....
Where did you source that turret for this project?  Looks interesting.  A shame you can not moe the engine to the front to give you an access ramp/door at the rear of the hull. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Gingie

« Reply #355 on: July 19, 2014, 04:41:35 AM »
Jeff - Its the Pit Road JGSDF Type 89 IFV.

The Gepard hull was originally going to have the MGS 105mm turret, but I decided to put that on the Type 89 hull (which does have the front engine / rear dismounts). I envisioned a tracked MGS with deployable Infantry section as bridging the gap between tracked MBT and wheeled IFV.

So, its been a game of musical turrets!
Gepard turret on MGS hull
MGS gun on Type 89 hull
Type 89 turret on Gepard hull

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #356 on: July 19, 2014, 04:57:54 AM »
Jeff - Its the Pit Road JGSDF Type 89 IFV.

The Gepard hull was originally going to have the MGS 105mm turret, but I decided to put that on the Type 89 hull (which does have the front engine / rear dismounts). I envisioned a tracked MGS with deployable Infantry section as bridging the gap between tracked MBT and wheeled IFV.

So, its been a game of musical turrets!
Gepard turret on MGS hull
MGS gun on Type 89 hull
Type 89 turret on Gepard hull
I thought the turret looked familiar.  I have the Trumpeter kit and it has two ATGM launchers (one for each side) on the turret.  Looking at your images again I realize now that you only had the one launcher mounted and the opposite side still has the location point for the launcher. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #357 on: July 19, 2014, 07:31:08 AM »
The added side armor really makes it for me!

That's one mean looking recon tank!

Brian da Basher

Offline Gingie

« Reply #358 on: July 20, 2014, 08:51:57 AM »
I put the recce tank aside for the day. I just wasn't feeling the mojo for it. Instead, I've bashed on with another Air Defence turret. This one is a but more futuristic, in that the weapons are meant to be some kind of electro-thermal pulsed energy deals.

Turret is based on the very old Tamiya Gepard (figure I might as well start chopping them up now before Meng gives a new tool one, heh heh)
I chopped the rear of the Gepard turret as it was too long for the LAV 10x10 its destined for. Even with the shorter turret, I still had to notch out a section for the radar mast to retract into

I raided the spare parts bin for the rest...M-113 Engine parts, Bradley sight, T-72 fuel drum for the E/O sight, Cougar episcopes, Stryker antennas..etc. The guns are from Kotobukiya for a Gundam robot I think. I'm not sure what they are 'meant' to be for the Gundam world, but I liked how they fitted with the Gepard.

The optical glass in the sight is a coated plastic that shifts from gold to red depending on the viewing angle. I'm going to put the same stuff in the three circular lenses on the E/O module after painting.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Global Moderator
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #359 on: July 20, 2014, 09:34:33 AM »
That turret is incredible  :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher