Author Topic: Danish Navy project HM-III 1937  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
Re: Danish Navy project HM-III 1937
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2017, 05:11:41 AM »
Do I see correctly or was even the single-seat Matchbox Viggen re-tooled at some point? I could swear that the two Mboxes in my stash (both single and double seater) have the dogtooth in the wing, but that seems to be the prototype wing without dogtooth (which Airfix and Hasegawa have).

Looks good all the same :smiley:

Offline arctic warrior

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »
Do I see correctly or was even the single-seat Matchbox Viggen re-tooled at some point? I could swear that the two Mboxes in my stash (both single and double seater) have the dogtooth in the wing, but that seems to be the prototype wing without dogtooth (which Airfix and Hasegawa have).

Looks good all the same :smiley:

I removed the dogtooth from the wing as it was an RWR-probe which would have required more rewiring than EE was ready to pay for..  :-X
And banging myself on head - have a Airfix Viggen lying around would have been much easier to use the wing..  :-\
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:16:31 PM by arctic warrior »

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2019, 05:41:42 PM »
Hi guys; been off for some time but crawling back to the bench.  :o
A just finished Starfix Skyhawk and some from yesterday - here goes:
Back in the days of 1967 the Danish Airforce needed to replace the F-100D. Runners up were the SAAB Draken - Mirage 5 - F-5A - A-4 Skyhawk and the Dark Horse the E.E. Lightning.
I haven't yet stumbled upon a cheapo Mirage 5 or Danish Draken but here's the Dark Horse (Matchbox 1/72 Lightning with added rocket pods):

The Skyhawk (Starfix 1/72 A-4F? with weapons!):

Finally the Norwegian choice the F-5A (PM 1/72 with Viggen spare cockpit):

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2019, 06:05:56 PM »
With the end of WWII in 1945 the Danish Government didn't know who to turn to for procuring new military aircraft. Still wanting to uphold neutrality the Danes asked in both West and East but everybody wanted hard cash or hardware in return. The Soviets though in the end decided to get a foothold within bourgeois Denmark and entered an arms deal.
One of the resulting aircraft to take to Danish skies around 1950 was the Yak-15 jet fighter; the pinnacle of construction to Danish eyes and Army Air Corps pilots.

As is visible the AAC were still ready to display Danish ingenuity so when J-74 had had a loss of canopy a Me-262 one was found in a thrashheap at the former Luftwaffe base at Karup and made to fit. Also rockets were experimented with for close airsupport.

The PM kit is one that's really an option for whiffery - cheapo - few parts - whats not to like!  ;D
Trying to give the foggy kit canopy the future treatment I dropped it into the Model Master enamel clear gloss where it melted quickly. A replacement found in the sparesbox and generous amounts of white glue made that fit. Stoppel decals to round it out.
There is an IL-10 and a La-7 somewhere in the stash to round it out.  :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2019, 03:00:59 AM »
Nice work.  Really like the idea of Danish Lightnings or Skyhawks.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2019, 04:24:43 AM »
Great stuff.

Brian da Basher

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2019, 04:33:29 PM »
Some work in progress:
As the Danish Army airmen waited in Sweden for deliverence and return to Denmark 1945 they dreamed of a new aircraft that would take the role of fighter and Army air support; discussing the types available they decided on the Hawker Typhoon as the best choice.
This is the ooooold FROG 1/72 Typhoon with added seat and pressure bottle as well as the oil cooler from a Hobbyboss one

Around 1970 the NATO powers realized something was needed to stop the Warsaw Pact tanks once they come rolling across the Iron Curtain and Western Free Europe; the French were quick to get out the door and propose one taking a little bit of this and little bit of that to win contracts:

More to follow.  ;D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2019, 07:12:25 PM »
This be good  :smiley: do continue.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My webpage
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2019, 05:41:34 AM »
the twin boom is interesting! The Yak-15 is great, too!

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2019, 07:59:20 AM »
Cheers guys  :D
Update on both - Typhoon ready for decals

Twin booms booming! Had to use loads of lead to make it sit on all three!! Ain't much room inside so the canopy is going to get the Brian treatment of gloss black to hide all the lead..

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2019, 12:20:07 PM »
Two props and two jets.  Can't tell what type (mission) aircraft it will be.  Has 1950ish look.  :smiley:
So happens am also over half finished on Magister fuselage based build right now.  Remains a trainer.

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2019, 01:58:15 AM »
Typhoon finished. Camo is the Danish pre-war fighter scheme. Bombs some Czech stuff scourged from a Luftwaffe trash heap. Cartoon characters was a typical noseart in post-war years (its DD from an old Airfix Spitfire Mk.V sheet). Main wheels donated by the Hobbyboss Typhoon in the spares box.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My webpage
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2019, 03:30:13 AM »
The Typhoon looks like a completely different beast in those colors and the bubble top looks amazingly clear.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2019, 08:57:27 AM »
That Danish Typhoon is pure eye-candy!

Brian da Basher

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2019, 12:45:13 AM »
Cheers  :smiley:
I almost brought out the vac-form Typhoon canopy I have but decided not to when I realized how clear the kit one is.