Author Topic: Matthews Aviation Art  (Read 20043 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2017, 02:23:49 AM »
Interesting roundels - I don't recognise them.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2017, 06:12:08 AM »
Interesting roundels - I don't recognise them.

Those are part of the story my client's writing, and one of the elements of the illustrations he wanted  :smiley:

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2017, 06:17:46 AM »
A bit of weathering along the panel lines, changes to the fuselage numbers, and minor changes to the insignias...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2017, 01:37:15 AM »
Those are part of the story my client's writing, and one of the elements of the illustrations he wanted  :smiley:

Ah ok.  I was starting to question my recognition skills. ;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2017, 10:11:54 PM »
Here's the final version:

Now I move onto the second plane for the same client, a MiG-21 PFM.  The 3D model of the first variant is saved so it can be modified for this variant.  Will begin work on that Sunday.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2017, 10:26:10 PM »
Sweet! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2017, 01:42:19 AM »
That is lovely! Perfect balance of shiny BFM and Soviet-scruffy  :D
"And loot some for the old folks, Can't loot for themselves"

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2017, 09:23:49 AM »
Beautiful work!  I presume this is a later model with the four-hardpoint wing and a blanked rear glazing?  Or one derived from some Chinese J-7 interations?

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2017, 05:06:45 AM »
That is lovely! Perfect balance of shiny BFM and Soviet-scruffy  :D

Sorry it took so long to respond!  Thank you very much! 

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2017, 05:15:14 AM »
Beautiful work!  I presume this is a later model with the four-hardpoint wing and a blanked rear glazing?  Or one derived from some Chinese J-7 interations?

Thank you so much! 

Yes, the later model  As a matter of fact, I did sling some ATOLS underneath since that's what my client asked for:

Here's the next one I'm doing for the same client.  No texture as yet.  He's asked that the finish be duller, with a bit more weathering:

After I've finished a few details this one's pretty much ready for UV coordinate mapping and texture work.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2017, 07:29:53 AM »
My "day job" has been hectic.  About all I've felt like doing is flopping in front of a TV and watching a movie after work lately.  Working on the MiGs is relaxing, too, though, so I've been able to get some texturing work done on this variant:

Somewhat darker shades than the previous variant, and the weathering at the panel lines stands-out a bit more.  Here's a 3 View:

This is an odd time of year.  No daily baseball games!  The regular season is over.  :o   No post-season ball games until later this week!

I'm going through withdrawals...   :-X

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2017, 05:30:27 PM »
Great job so far John  :smiley:\
Do you take into consideration the MF version?
Cheers

MLS it's still on if you like soccer. ;D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:56:56 AM by AXOR »
Alex

Offline apophenia

• Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2017, 02:47:48 AM »
...This is an odd time of year.  No daily baseball games!  The regular season is over.  ...

Looks like that will be to our benefit  ;D
"And loot some for the old folks, Can't loot for themselves"

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2017, 11:19:26 AM »
Great job so far John  :smiley:\
Do you take into consideration the MF version?
Cheers

MLS it's still on if you like soccer. ;D

Thanks very much!

Funny you mention that; I'm working on the MF right now.  It shouldn't take very long to complete modeling on that one since I'll just have to make modifications to this variant.  That'll end the fighters for awhile.  I was asked to also make three Russian airliners and a couple bombers after completing the MF/Bison variant.  I'm enjoying the work, that's for sure (more importantly, my client is happy with the illustrations).  Then I want to finish my F-105, which sits forlornly in the recesses of my computer and beckons to be completed. 

MLS?  I'm not as big a fan of soccer as my former next door neighbor.  He's from Turkey.  He dated a gal from Germany.  I guess it was four years or so ago teams from both countries were playing against each other in the FIFA World Cup finals, and, lemme tell ya,  things got pretty spirited/heated over at his place for awhile.  Ha!  There was a group in St. Louis which tried to get attract MLS into coming here, but they weren't able to come to terms on a stadium with the city government.  I'm sure it'll happen in the future though.  It would certainly be good for the region since the sport is popular.  Thank goodness for post season baseball!  Although, its just delaying the inevitable-the dead period of time between no baseball ( :o) and the day pitchers and catchers report for spring training. 

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2017, 11:28:09 AM »
...This is an odd time of year.  No daily baseball games!  The regular season is over.  ...

Looks like that will be to our benefit  ;D

Thanks so much!  Yep, late fall/winter (my boys and I renamed winter to simply "no baseball") will be spent building a back log of models (Monogram 1/48 B-58, Hasagawa 1/32 F-5 and F-16A, Revell 1/24 Gemini, and a Revell 1/32 P-47D) with the boys, and my 3D illustrations.