Author Topic: Matthews Aviation Art  (Read 17394 times)

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
Re: Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2017, 11:12:32 PM »
Hello all!  This week I received some commissioned work to create profile illustrations for someone who is writing a novella.  I can't say anything about the novella, but I can post images of my progress regarding the aircraft I'm modelling.  This is the MiG-21F I'm working on.

No details added, but the fuselage, wings, and stabilizers are all roughed-in.  The client wanted several variants of the MiG-21, and other Soviet fighters and bombers.  So I'll post updates as I go.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2017, 03:46:14 AM »
Looking good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2017, 04:16:38 AM »
Beautiful for some,ugly for others,The Tube (as it's nicknamed in RO) is one of my favorites,I'll watch this with pleasure. :smiley:
Alex

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2017, 11:48:04 AM »
Beautiful for some,ugly for others,The Tube (as it's nicknamed in RO) is one of my favorites,I'll watch this with pleasure. :smiley:

Aptly named!  That's just about what this beastie is.  Then there were obviously things that may have been overlooked in the design (gun, landing gear, pilot, etc.) about which were forgotten, so they added bulges to accommodate them.   ;D

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2017, 12:00:45 PM »
Three more images from today's work.  I've modeled a scoop here, followed by a few bulges there, and the ventral fin at the bottom.  I was also able to clean up a couple things in the mesh to make it easier to pull the UV maps once it's time to texture it.  Going smoothly, all in all.

I'm glad my client only wants profile shots, since that's really going to cut down on modeling time.  For now, anyway.  There are other variants that were also requested, but I can use this model as a base for those.   

This is still split in half, with a symmetry modifier in place (which accounts for any wierdness going on at the tip of the intake cone.

I still have one more scoop to model near the exhaust and the vertical stabilizer, and a couple more bulges, then it's going to be time to collapse the model and start cutting-in the canopy and glazing. 

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2017, 11:18:17 AM »

This is the final image before I started cutting edges for the canopy and glazing.  This is actually the part that gives me fits.  I can either "collapse" the model with a smoothing modifier, which enhances the number of edges and polygons on the mesh of the model, or I can try to do it in its "simple" form and see how the edges and polys behave when I add the smoothing modifier afterward.  I'm trying the latter, which may also have the benefit of making the shape of the canopy more accurate.  After dealing with the canopy I'll most likely model the gun, on the starboard side of the aircraft, and then I think I'm finished before pulling UV maps for texturing.  I also added a bit of detail to the inside of the exhaust.  I'm hoping the rest goes smoothly.  Not bad, for four days work.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »
A bit more MiG.  Now with a clear canopy:

At this point the model has been collapsed after the canopy was formed and the glazing was cut into the mesh.  I made that clear to better distinguish it.  I also gave it a very basic bare metal finish so my client could get an idea of how it's going to look after I fully texture the model for him. 

The next thing I'm going to do is give the glazing and canopy frame some depth, then create a basic cockpit and ejection seat.  Then it'll be time to start pulling my hair out doing the UV mapping so I can texture this bird.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2017, 02:33:10 AM »
Looking good.

Would love to see you modify this into a operational Ye-2 variant at some point in the future.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2017, 11:03:01 AM »
Looking good.

Would love to see you modify this into a operational Ye-2 variant at some point in the future.

He asked for a few different variants (for which this will serve as a base), but that wasn't one of them.  I'm sure after I'm done with the job I'll be using the model in my own artwork, so perhaps I'll modify it then.  He also wanted a MiG-23 and an IL-28.  I'm not certain I'll have everything he wants finished by the November deadline he requested, but I'll complete what I can between my "real" job and family commitments.  If my boys were still playing baseball it would be a real time crunch!  Ha!

This morning before work I was able to cut the canopy from the mesh and created its shell, so it has two sides and more depth.  Next will be a very rudimentary cockpit tub and ejection seat.  I'll post more images in a couple days I'm sure  :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:04:55 AM by john_matthews129 »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »
This could be fun if he asked for a Ye-7/1 (MiG-21PF nose but with MiG-21F canopy and aft glazing without the bulge the MiG-21PF and all subsequent MiG-21 variants had).

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2017, 10:16:57 PM »
This could be fun if he asked for a Ye-7/1 (MiG-21PF nose but with MiG-21F canopy and aft glazing without the bulge the MiG-21PF and all subsequent MiG-21 variants had).

The client requested profiles of the MiG-21PFM, MiG-21R, and MiG-21Bis.  He also wanted profiles of the SU-20, SU-22 Fitter F, SU-22M4 Fitter K, and the MiG-23 to round-out his Russian aircraft.  I'm thinking those are the ones which may be important to his story, whatever that may be.   

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2017, 07:54:39 PM »
So sharp and metallic :-*

I've never been able to get such results in my renderings, hats off to you :icon_alabanza:

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2017, 08:08:19 PM »
So sharp and metallic :-*

I've never been able to get such results in my renderings, hats off to you :icon_alabanza:

Hey, thanks!  What you see on the model now is just a very simple metal tone with a bit of reflectivity thrown in.  The actual look of the finished texture will look more like the one I used for the XB-51 illustrations. 

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2017, 09:05:55 AM »
Been a while since I posted any progress on my client's MiG-21.  I made a metal shader for it after unwrapping the model and mapping it.  After that came adding areas of varied reflection and gloss values, which seems to always involve a lot of tinkering with gray scales to get anything satisfactory. 

The surface is still a bit too reflective and mirror-like.  So that has to be toned-down.  You can absolutely get lost playing with each and every value to create the metal and really lose track of what works quickly if not taking notes.

So those were the first set of images I sent to my client after finishing the renders.  He and I have since exchanged emails regarding trim colors, insignia colors and sizes, and the color of numbers on the plane.  I'm glad to get the input, most certainly, since I want him to be happy with the finished product.

He also requested missiles, so this afternoon I modeled ATOLL missiles and racks for the plane.  I also tinkered with the metal finish and changed the trim color to his satisfaction.

The missiles were easy to model and texture, so that part went pretty quickly.

I'm finished now until I've heard back from my client regarding his choices of number styles, stencil types, number colors, and variations of his chosen insignias.