Author Topic: Logan's Profiles - SdKfz 231 Halbkettenfahrzeug  (Read 198769 times)

Offline Matt Wiser

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: Logan's Profiles - Vought V-507 Vagabond - VF-84 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #390 on: September 14, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »
And an IIAF bird, I imagine....
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect. But always have a plan ready to kill them.

Old USMC Adage.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #391 on: September 14, 2013, 02:28:15 PM »

Oh yeah!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Global Moderator
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #392 on: September 15, 2013, 11:55:02 PM »

I like the way you think  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #393 on: September 16, 2013, 08:55:55 AM »
Bada*s!  :)
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #394 on: September 18, 2013, 08:40:37 PM »
Excellent work, Logan!!

Online Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - Captured Japanese Viking/Stuka
« Reply #395 on: September 21, 2013, 10:53:44 AM »
I spent so much time on the V-507, I decided to take a break from it and work on something completely different.  So, to change things up a bit I did a profile of a Vought modification of a European design with an unconventional wing, tailored to meet US Navy requirements as an alternative to a truly classic Navy aircraft.  Oh, wait.

Well, it felt different to me at the time.  So, without further ado...

Ordered by the ML-KNIL for the Dutch East Indies, the V-187-N3 was similar in confiuration to the Norwegian V-187-N2 pattern aircraft.  Not many aircraft were delivered before the Dutch East Indies fell to the Japanese, so they had little impact on the campaign, a number of the aircraft being captured by the Japanese when they took the islands.  This particular aircraft was tested by the Tachikawa Army Aerotechnical Research Institute.

I've also submitted this to the Asiarama GB over at the What If Forums.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #396 on: September 21, 2013, 03:39:44 PM »
Very nice one , Logan. I love to see you do a Vought SB4U again!! 8)

regards
Lauhof

Online Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #397 on: September 21, 2013, 11:34:52 PM »
Thanks, Lauhof!  I knew you would be glad to see me getting back to these.  Still working my way towards the Midway birds but there's a few that I want to do before I get there.  You should still like them, though.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #398 on: September 22, 2013, 04:16:04 AM »
Sweet!!!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Online Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #399 on: September 22, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »
Thanks, guys!  Watch this space (especially you, lauhof!), because I should be able to do another one in the next couple of days.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #400 on: September 22, 2013, 09:47:14 PM »
Thanks, guys!  Watch this space (especially you, lauhof!), because I should be able to do another one in the next couple of days.

Cheers,

Logan

Looking forward to it, Logan!! (..and still hoping for the Midwaystuff..)
regards
Lauhof

Online Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - "Shwab's Wagon" - The Story of an A-19 Viking
« Reply #401 on: September 23, 2013, 07:13:03 AM »
Anybody ready for another?  There is a long backstory for this one, but I don't want to clutter this thread with a GWOT (Giant Wall of Text), so I've posted the full story in its own thread over in the Stories forum.  I recommend checking it out to anyone who enjoys a good story.  I can recommend it without shame since I didn't write most of it.  I pieced it together from about three sources and modified it to suit the profile with just a the minor addition surrounding the pilot's personalized markings.  See that thread here: "Shwab's Wagon" - The Story of an A-19 Viking

While operating from 7-Mile Drome at Port Moresby, this aircraft was primarily flown by Captain Virgil Schwab. Capt. Schwab had the ground crew paint “Schwab’s Wagon” on the side of the aircraft in big bubble letters, but the soldier that painted the marking on the aircraft misspelled Schwab’s name, leaving out the “c”. Schwab took it with humor, however, and decided to leave “Shwab’s Wagon” as it was.

Thanks to Talos for providing the excellent "Shwab's Wagon" marking seen here on the side of the plane!  He did a great job with it!

I've also submitted this to the Asiarama GB over at the What If Forums.

Cheers,

Logan

Online Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - More new Vikings/Stukas!
« Reply #402 on: September 23, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »
It's been a good weekend.  Who wants another?  Remember the natural metal finish Vikings from days of yore?  How about another for old time's sake?

The Vought V-187-A was an export version of the Viking intended for the Fuerza Aérea Argentina. Northrop test pilot Eddie Allen had demonstrated the Northrop Model 5B in Buenos Aires in 1935, and the FAA was looking at purchasing the Douglas Model 8A in 1937, but a Vought tour of South America with the V-187 company prototype would end up convincing a number of air forces to go with the Vought product instead. This was in no small part due to the goodwill Vought had built up with their sales of the Corsair throughout South America over the past ten years. In fact, the Vought Corsair would be the very plane the Viking was replacing in many of those air forces, including Argentina's. The FAA ordered 30 V-187-As in 1937, and these were shipped to Argentina between February and March 1938. As with the other early export orders, the aircraft were not equipped with the bomb displacement gear for reasons of security. Vought construction numbers were 1531 to 1560. FAA serials were A-401 through A-430 (later O-401 through O-430). The V-187-As were operated by the Fuerza Aérea Argentina's Grupo A de la Escuela de Aplicación de Aviación, Comanda de Aviación de Ejercito from El Palomar.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #403 on: September 23, 2013, 02:32:19 PM »
Wow, Logan, excellent work - especially the USAAF-one! My compliments! :P

regards
Lauhof

Online Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #404 on: September 23, 2013, 11:19:53 PM »
Thanks, lauhof!  More Vikings should be coming soon!  I'm still slowly marching towards Midway.  Not too much more to do now.

Cheers,

Logan