Author Topic: Lockheed C-130 Hercules  (Read 32784 times)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: Lockheed C-130 Hercules
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2013, 05:00:04 PM »
Were the crews issued with asbestos underpants?

Offline nils

• 1/144 addict
  • Za Rodina!!!
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2013, 05:42:33 PM »
reminds me of this :)

on the bench:
-various models

on the drawing board:
-various 1/72 TinTin aircraft
-1/72 Eurocopter Tiger (Belgian Army)
-various other 1/72 and 1/144 aircraft

Offline PR19_Kit

• Likes to brag about how long his...wings are.
  • Made it at last!
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2013, 08:46:48 PM »
Jeepers, I'd read and heard about that project and seen a few pics but that vid was both amazing and terrifying at the same time!  :o

It's a pity it didn't work that well as managing the actual rescue would have been a triumph of technology over sheer bloody-mindedness.

That Herk would make a superb model too, I wonder if anyone did a conversion kit for all the lumps and bumps?
Regards
Kit

--------------------------
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2013, 10:42:34 PM »
That Herk would make a superb model too, I wonder if anyone did a conversion kit for all the lumps and bumps?

I've got a 1/72 vacuform conversion set which does quite a few of them Kit, I can't remember who produced it though, Falcon maybe or AirModel   ???

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2013, 11:18:06 PM »
Jeepers, I'd read and heard about that project and seen a few pics but that vid was both amazing and terrifying at the same time!  :o

It's a pity it didn't work that well as managing the actual rescue would have been a triumph of technology over sheer bloody-mindedness.

Apparently it was working rather well until the disastrous last flight where one of the solid rocket motors failed.  Until that event the shakers and movers were all quite confident that it would be a successful for what was basically a one-shot mission. 

Makes you wonder if they would have had any better success using liquid rocket motors instead of the solid rockets that were all sourced from "one-shot" weapons where failure usually meant jettisoning the dud and shooting another round. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2013, 04:14:08 AM »
Given it was only supposed to work for one mission, I doubt they would have worried about too many refinements.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2013, 05:17:21 AM »
you can tell that the Lockheed engineers were used to designing trucks not sportscars ... here's the sleek-C-130.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Global Moderator
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2015, 12:55:10 AM »

Picture that makes the Herk look like its just a twin engine   ;)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2015, 02:48:18 AM »
Indeed

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2015, 06:15:22 AM »
I wonder what the performance would be like if you did Credible Sport mods to a DHC-5 Buffalo?

Anyone think that maybe that whole incident is the reason Osprey was pushed so hard?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2015, 12:03:47 PM »

Picture that makes the Herk look like its just a twin engine   ;)

Certainly does! :icon_surprised:

Anyone know what is has just fired? ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2015, 12:25:24 PM »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2015, 01:41:21 PM »
Thanks, Jeffry! :)

Thought it looked like a Hellfire but the altitude appeared a bit high for its use. However, images can be deceiving.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2015, 06:55:13 AM »
Interesting detail on the ramp of this AC-130W Stinger II (former MC-130W Dragon Spear):

I believe it shows the launch tubes for the 'Gunslinger' weapons system with AGM-176 Griffin missiles and/or GBU-44/B Viper Strike munitions.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2015, 10:52:10 PM »
I wonder what the performance would be like if you did Credible Sport mods to a DHC-5 Buffalo?

Anyone think that maybe that whole incident is the reason Osprey was pushed so hard?
It's been admitted that this event was one of the primary drivers behind the V-22.  I reckon it's proved itself and work is well under way to fix some of the known problem areas.