Author Topic: 1/35 Apocalypse tank  (Read 5456 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 Apocalypse tank
« on: April 06, 2023, 11:05:48 AM »
This is a build of the Border Model Apocalypse tank from the Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 game.

I never played the game; my only connection is that I know the actress that played Lt. Zofia in the game. She lives in our old building.

If you see this kit on sale - get it; it's (mostly) a fun build and can be (mostly) built without glue. I glued together the assemblies that hold the road wheels, because they were a bit loose on my kit. The kit build bops along at a fun pace until you hit a screeching halt at steps 5 & 6, where you have to build the link and length tracks, of which there are many, many links. The tracks are supposed to be press fit, but there's enough tension on the tracks that they'll pop apart without gluing.

The tracks should go in one direction on all four runs - I screwed one up and had to redo it. The easiest way is to remove (or don't attach) the arm that holds the road wheels, then build the tracks and before the glue is set, drape them around the drive socket and road wheels:

I eventually finished all the tracks and can put the bottom half in a safe place:

The tank comes with three red LEDs and a touch sensitive pad that works well. My plan is to build all or most of the tank before I decide how to modify (and eventually) paint.

Going is the red hammer and sickle at the front - it's going to be filled in and maybe ERA blocks added. I may remove the архангельский casting marks next to the driver's compartment.

I'll also modify the blade up front - either use the mine clearing blades from an M-1 Abrams or just remove the vertical blades.

I may replace the twin guns with a single one as well although that will take some delicate surgery.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: 1/35 Apocalypse tank
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 03:05:54 PM »
Looks good so far.  Can't wait to see more  :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 08:13:29 PM »
Very interested to see how this goes together.

I just know I am going to say "Mammoth Tank Ready" every time I go into this thread ;D

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 10:24:12 PM »
If you can't just let your hair down & be silly with this kit, there's nothing that you can let your hair down & be silly with. ;D

Enjoy the build, Frank, & let your imagination run free! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 10:47:05 AM »
If you can't just let your hair down & be silly with this kit ...

Frankly I'd be extremely serious with this kit ... just cries out to make it articulated. ;)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 10:55:42 AM »
I briefly thought about articulation - looks workable if you look at the lower hull. The upper hull is another matter. Thick plastic and the turret ring is right over the articulation point. I'm about 3/4 of the way done with the basic assembly... this is a BIG tank!

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 09:56:04 PM »
I'll just leave this here.
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1791.0

I briefly thought about articulation - looks workable if you look at the lower hull. The upper hull is another matter. Thick plastic and the turret ring is right over the articulation point. I'm about 3/4 of the way done with the basic assembly... this is a BIG tank!

I've seen some universal joints about 1 - 1 1/2" diameter *somewhere*, plastic household appliancey related but I'l be damned where. Went down that rabbit hole of looking at potential salvage when I dumped into the link above.

ETA: dumpster dive something like this
https://www.swisco.com/Universal-Joint/pd/Replacement-Window-Operator-Accessories/39-338?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_r6hBhDdARIsAMIDhV9A-kBz_26qnD-bqUsb9O6lju1tdzZahDZN0pMlqHXGRzFxzs6rurkaArnyEALw_wcB
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 10:01:26 PM by Story »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2023, 12:32:03 AM »
Almost done with the OOB build:

It has lights; I haven't installed the two on the hull yet:

It has a touch triggered switch just under the top of the turret. It works well and it's a clever design. These switches are dirt cheap and since they're not mechanical, last forever. I may change that LED to a white one.

Big tank!

Story - articulating this tank is probably a soul and motivation killing task. I thought about the Meng Toon tanks - a couple look like they could be connected into a similar looking tank. I don't know how big they are - if they're big enough for 1/35.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2023, 12:54:39 AM »
Answered my own tangential question. Here's a great armor blog with a top notch build of a Meng Toon Matilda. He shows it next to a 1/35 figure at the end. May be possible to turn a couple into an articulated tank.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 02:40:17 AM by Frank3k »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2023, 02:30:54 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2023, 06:42:43 AM »
Great start Frank!

This got me thinking again about how the Apocalypse turret would look with a single gun (although not recommending such a mod here).

-- https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=351.msg207342#msg207342
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2023, 06:48:45 AM »
No dithering here.. this is coming along very nicely.

I do like the look and the vehicle offers a heap of basis to do other things with

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2023, 08:42:08 AM »
Nice ! :smiley:  Didn't realize there's an open "mouth" at the front of the hull - maybe a different plough would show this off better.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2023, 10:03:56 AM »
The open mouth is because once pushed together, it's hard to pull the hull apart, especially if you don't want to damage the plastic. Other than a few bits that I've had to or will glue, I'm happy with leaving this tank pressed together.

I modified the searchlight by putting in a white LED. I played fast and loose with the white LED current requirements, but since the voltage is OK for a white LED and I'm not leaving this thing on all the time... I'm not going "professional" on it.

"This is my Apocalypse tank. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

The hammer and sickle made a reappearance as I sanded that area smooth. I'm still thinking about adding ERA blocks or making something like the raised surface on the Object 279:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2023, 10:29:46 AM »
Mig-AMMO put out an "Anti-Slip Paste", to make anti-slip surface textures on aircraft & AFV's, if you stipple that on with an old, stiff brush you'd get a good cast finish on the hull if the tank.

However, I'm pretty sure you could get a similar result using Tamiya putty or the like.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2023, 07:30:16 AM »
This one is done, as far as the OOB build.

I put some Tamiya extra thin thinner on the sanded down parts and pushed a thick foam backed sanding brick against the soften plastic. Looks OK under some primer, but it may need another round:

I really don't like the vertical blades on the original dozer blades. I modified the mounting and I'll have to add a couple of pistons and other supports... plus fix the broken off tooth on one of the blades:

The rear looks OK. The small fuel barrels look like they would make nice targets for a Ukrainian drone pilot:

top view:

Next up is the rebuild. The lower hull only needs painting and some sort of support for the mine clearing blades. The upper hull needs cleanup work; I'll probably replace the fuel barrels with... something.

Most of the work will go into the turret:
- The rear basket has to go (or be modified)
- The dual barrels will be converted into a single barrel - I'll measure and print a replacement mantle.
- The side missile launchers will either be replaced or reduced in number
- the armored cheeks (with the smoke grenade launchers) will be closed up. I'll find or print replacement smoke grenade launchers, because these guys look like small mortars.

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2023, 07:36:26 AM »
Coming along nicely. Looks a lot better without the hammer and sickle.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2023, 09:14:59 AM »
Yeah, it dials down the ridiculousness of the tank by quite a bit.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2023, 09:18:01 AM »
External fuel barrels are fine, Frank, they're there to refill the internal tanks.

You can only fit so much fuel inside the armour & if the barrels are hit, or even catch fire, it's on the outside of the armour.

Therefore, while it may look impressive, it's no danger to either the tank or the crew.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2023, 10:32:06 AM »
Looking good Frank!

... if the barrels are hit, or even catch fire, it's on the outside of the armour...

Yep, just some 'diesel armour' to help protect those honkin' great mufflers!  8)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Ramba

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2023, 07:47:36 PM »
With all the changes you are going to do and with your 3D printing prowess, could you print up some extra road wheels, return rollers and tracks to make it continuous, full length tracks instead of split into two separate tracks?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2023, 09:55:47 PM »
There may just be enough links to do that, but I think that would exceed my "motivation budget" on this kit. Converting the turret to a single gun is going to take a few hours of measuring and CAD time, plus printing.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2023, 03:27:19 AM »
There may just be enough links to do that, but I think that would exceed my "motivation budget" on this kit. Converting the turret to a single gun is going to take a few hours of measuring and CAD time, plus printing.

I used to do mechanical and civil CAD for a living and yes, CAD gets tedious.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2023, 04:32:43 AM »
I'm bad with clearances - which is always an issue with 3D prints, especially resin ones. So it's: design, print - "damn! doesn't fit!" Sand, sand, "it would be easier to shave off a bit from the design" back to Rhino 3D, print..

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2023, 05:50:48 AM »
The small fuel barrels look like they would make nice targets for a Ukrainian drone pilot:
Or they could just harrass to keep the constantly vehicle moving and wait for the exhausts to do the job for them  ;)

Really like this basically OOB  build there is so much room for full on Whiffery. Very much looking forward to what you do next around the turret.