Author Topic: Smuggler's runabout - FINISHED  (Read 8445 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Smuggler's runabout - FINISHED
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2020, 12:28:20 PM »
Build looks great & painting is very crisp! :smiley:

However, I always think of mahogany looking like this: ;)

Mind you, the same boat at the same show using a different camera & light settings: :icon_surprised:

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2020, 01:22:05 PM »
I painted it mahogany and it looked too brown... when I screwed up the paint scheme, I redid everything and tried to make a mix based on a daylight photo and it came out too red/orange. I didn’t want to repaint everything.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2020, 04:19:56 AM »
Frau Kumpf: "Ein Tornado in Kalifornien? Oh ja, mein Mann, das klingt absolut plausibel!"

... I always think of mahogany looking like this ...

It seems that mahogany's colour (and grain pattern) will also change depending on the variety of wood used. African mahogany can be quite pale; West Indian mahogany dark red-brown; Central American Santos runs from golden through to burgundy; etc. Presumably, woods from India or the Philippines will be different again.

BTW, the colour of mahogony may also darken with age. So, a vintage boat may well look difference now as compared with when it was built.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2020, 11:00:03 AM »
Google translate's getting a pounding but I'm getting a laugh out of it! ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2020, 11:24:54 AM »
I'd like to build a copy of the boat Guy posted. Maybe as a car... It looks fast just sitting there.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2020, 04:58:30 AM »
Frank: Yes, Bruce Crandall did lovely work. For modelling, the attached may be helpful.

Also see: https://shipmodell.com/index_files/SHIPMODELL_FLYER.htm ... for a scratchbuilt 1/16th model with some WIP photos.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2020, 08:17:01 AM »
Understandable, Frank, An odd but nice looking boat. :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2020, 09:59:22 AM »
Wow - that's a cool link - thanks for the plans, too.

I found this boat on the site. Looks familiar:

https://shipmodell.com/index_files/SHIPMODELL_RUNABOAT.htm

Offline apophenia

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2020, 05:17:52 AM »
I found this boat on the site. Looks familiar ...

;D ;D  Yep, familar enough to make Frau Kumpf uncomfortable  :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2020, 06:30:29 AM »
Less bling than mine, though. I like it. As Emperor Franz Joseph I once said "There is nothing new under the Imperial Sun"

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2020, 08:10:06 AM »
Came out lovely!
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2020, 11:27:07 PM »
How did I miss this one? It looks awesome, and I'm completely jealous of your 3D printer.

I may have to pick one of these up for myself, seems like it has a lot of potential for 1/35 fun.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2020, 12:59:29 AM »
How did I miss this one? It looks awesome, and I'm completely jealous of your 3D printer.

I may have to pick one of these up for myself, seems like it has a lot of potential for 1/35 fun.

Thanks! The new resin printers are getting better and cheaper. The Elegoo Mars and Mars Pro are excellent and so are the Anycubic Photon. There are low end resolution ones to avoid and some new ones are coming out. The existing ones are between $200-$280 and the resin is around #20-$30 per 500ml.

You'll also need a large supply of paper towels (Scott shop towels work great), nitrile gloves (many boxes...) protective glasses and alcohol for washing off uncured resin. Some of the newer resins are water washable.