Author Topic: Matthews Aviation Art  (Read 20092 times)

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
Re: Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2017, 12:37:50 PM »
like a twin boom/twin fuselage MiG?  I'd probably just have to decide where to merge and weld the two models together.
This is good news. I hope you will, reaching a new level in creativity... :smiley:

Might just do that when I have some free time.  In the mean time, more work on the MiG.  Did just a bit of weathering and a little chipped paint near some access panels.  Not really certain how much age I'm supposed to put on this, so I didn't want to go too crazy...

I'm sure I'll end up having to make some adjustments here and there.  Done for the day though.

Cheers!

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2017, 12:35:02 PM »
Hope you're all in good health and spirits!  Nearing the end of a very nice weekend here.

As it turned out, I didn't have to make any adjustments and ended up just chipping away some paint from places on the fuselage...

I believe this should be the completed camouflaged version of this plane.

I now have to paint a separate version of this one in gray, which I did, and sent a sample to the client to get his take on whether he wants some parts darker or lighter.  Once I get it completed, I'll post it here.  Thankfully it should be a fairly easy proposition of changing a few brightness/contrast values in PS.  After that it'll be time to start 3D modeling a new airplane for him.

Cheers!

« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2017, 07:45:53 PM »
Impressive. I particularly like the stressing on the spine.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2017, 09:56:37 PM »
I'm looking forward to finding out what book these are all for.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2017, 10:14:23 PM »
Impressive. I particularly like the stressing on the spine.

Thanks so much!  I was hoping I hadn't gone overboard with the weathering effects on this one.  Sometimes, as with the texturing for the L-133 model I made, I end up setting it aside for a few days so I can come back and look at it with a fresh eye to decide whether it looks okay.  The client was pretty happy with this one, so it'll be the final version.  The gray one will be just overall medium gray with blue tac numbers and loaded with missiles.  Aside from the diffuse color, I'll most likely re-use the rest of the textures from the camo job to complete that part of the project.  Hopefully I'll complete that today, amidst the errands I have to run, and I'll post it later this evening.  Then it'll be time to consider which of the nine other planes he wants done and which one I'll start next. 

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2017, 10:20:48 PM »
I'm looking forward to finding out what book these are all for.

So far I have limited knowledge of the novella he's writing, and I've agreed not to disclose anything.  All I can say presently is that it's an intriguing idea and could be quite interesting.  The airplanes I've illustrated so far are just one side of things.  I agreed to illustrate Soviet planes first, then I'll move forward with western aircraft for him. 

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2017, 04:57:12 AM »
Without further adieu, here's the MiG wearing medium gray paint as requested with blue tac numbers:

and with red numbers:

Seems repetitive, but I had to make both with the different colored numbers to give the client a good idea of how they would each look so he could choose which one he wanted.  I also suggested making MERs with different missiles as opposed to the same ATOLs and racks we've been using.  But, that's up to him.

Cheers!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2017, 06:50:57 AM »
Wicked!

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2017, 01:23:58 PM »
Maybe dark grey "low-vis" stars would still improve the grey camo in the clouds, no?

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2017, 09:59:43 PM »
Maybe dark grey "low-vis" stars would still improve the grey camo in the clouds, no?

Makes sense with the overall gray color.  I suggested that, but I think he prefers the color insignias.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2017, 10:01:00 PM »

Offline apophenia

• Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2017, 06:39:52 AM »
...  I was hoping I hadn't gone overboard with the weathering effects on this one...

Not possible  ;)  Love the medium grey too  :smiley:
"And loot some for the old folks, Can't loot for themselves"

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2017, 07:47:44 AM »
Very nice!!  Please remind your client that later MiG-21 variants also carried a semi-active radar-guided variant of the Atoll and the final versions could also carry the AA-8 Aphid on twin launchers.  If you wish, I could check some references as to other Atoll variants that might could be used.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2017, 06:36:23 AM »
Well, if you wanted to go later still there was the MiG-21-93 proposal with different canopy and even R-77 missiles:

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2017, 08:06:43 AM »
And a proposed re-engining of that with the RD-33 engine from the MiG-29.