Author Topic: 2016 Group Build Ideas  (Read 12251 times)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: 2016 Group Build Ideas
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2015, 03:16:16 PM »
How about a US post war isolationism GB, i.e. the US cuts defence spending, including R&D and take a back seat on global issues leaving other nations to fill the void, or more to the point to continue with plans and projects, civil and military that were delayed, cut short, or cancelled in reality.

i.e. post war airliners and civil aviation, the standard military stuff but also automotive manufacturing etc.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Global Moderator
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2015, 04:07:40 AM »
How about a US post war isolationism GB, i.e. the US cuts defence spending, including R&D and take a back seat on global issues leaving other nations to fill the void, or more to the point to continue with plans and projects, civil and military that were delayed, cut short, or cancelled in reality.

i.e. post war airliners and civil aviation, the standard military stuff but also automotive manufacturing etc.

You could expand it and just keep the US out of WWII entirely.
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2015, 05:55:11 AM »

Oh Goody. Then we would have seen 10,000s of aircraft cross the US Canada border. Tow them to the border. Park them tail first and walk away.

Come back the next morning. They are all gone. My bad.

By October the first Hudsons had arrived at St. Hubert and, with the assistance of RCAF and Trans-Canada Airlines groundcrew, preparations proceeded at a frantic pace to check them out, to prepare them and their crews, and to fly them to the British Isles via Newfoundland. Getting the planes to Montreal required an imaginative circumvention of the U.S. neutrality laws. American law prohibited citizens of a belligerent power from flying planes in the United States and decreed that aircraft could not be flown out of the country for the use of a nation at war. To get around this, American civilians employed by Lockheed Corporation flew them from the factory in California to Pembina, North Dakota. There, horses pulled them a few yards across the 49th parallel to Emerson, Manitoba, before crews of the CPR Air Services Department finished the journey to Montreal along the Trans-Canada Airway (built as a make-work project during the Great Depression). It is interesting to note that, while the practice of towing aircraft across the border ceased in the spring of 1941, it did happen with a considerable number of aircraft at more than one location, from Sweetgrass, Montana to the maritime province

Ferry Command
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2015, 09:13:26 AM »
How about a Totally Wacky GB - instead of trying to make things that are real world or close to, we go the opposite way and just do something crazy and fun.  I'm thinking of things like the following...or crazier:

(removed pictures)

Builds like "Slowy Jet" fit this ?

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2015, 03:25:52 PM »
Yep
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2015, 03:34:16 PM »

I believe US involvement was inevitable however not returning to isolationism post war may have been a bit unusual although there were massive defence cuts that were only reversed with the start of the cold war, so perhaps the setting could be post war conferences were more successful and conciliatory and the US never gets involved in the cold war.  The US was anti colonialism anyway so maybe if there was less domestic concern over the USSR US public opinion could have forced government to stay out of the majority, if not all of the colonial wars that became defector battle fields between east and west.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2015, 03:37:17 PM »
How about speed?  All things fast (or that look fast) planes, trains, automobiles and of course ships, rockets etc.  Or things that have been modified to be faster than the original or usual version of what ever it is.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2015, 04:12:39 PM »
How about speed?  All things fast (or that look fast) planes, trains, automobiles and of course ships, rockets etc.  Or things that have been modified to be faster than the original or usual version of what ever it is.

B-10, B-17, B-24, DC-3 with P-3 engines !

Offline Goonie

• When the guy does a red tank, he does a RED tank!
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2015, 04:52:07 PM »

Oh my, this could also includes racing mecha, am I right? ;)
sci-fi - the best legal antidote for reality

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2015, 05:39:50 PM »

Could this be combined with this idea:

Let's get racing GB - could cover race aircraft, race cars, race boats, race airships...

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2015, 06:05:39 PM »

Oh my, this could also includes racing mecha, am I right? ;)

Hmmm...that one makes me think of racing AT-STs...

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2015, 08:22:14 PM »

Could this be combined with this idea:

Let's get racing GB - could cover race aircraft, race cars, race boats, race airships...

Yes but while race thingies tend to be speedy, speedy things don't need to be race thingies and non-race stuff gives a much wider range of possible schemes.

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2015, 10:22:51 PM »
Scaleorama GB.
Involves at least two significant identifiable assemblies/parts are from kits of different scales.

i would like to do that, i have some ideas for this GB :)

Me too!  :) :) :) ;)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Global Moderator
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2015, 12:43:26 AM »
The New Star Wars is out soon.

We could do a Science Fiction GB, Star Wars GB, or "Any sci-fi but Star Wars" GB as a challenge.  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2015, 03:14:28 AM »
What happens with the ideas that were not winners in past years? Can they be re-proposed once more?

Anyway I want to recover the Anachronisc GB idea: Old battles with modern weapons or old weapons in modern battles.