Author Topic: 2014 GB Calendar  (Read 20245 times)

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
2014 GB Calendar
« on: February 22, 2014, 03:27:17 AM »
Folks,

The 2014 GB proposed dates with some GB overlap are:

• Space GB (both Scifi and Real): 15 Jan - 15 Apr (possible extension to 30 Apr if demand requires it)
  • Snoops, Sensors, Spooks, & Spies etc GB: 1 Apr - 30 Jun (with possible extension to 15 Jul if demand requires it)
  • Room for possible short, 1 month GB - not yet defined but we can decide closer to time  Anything but military GB:  1 Jul - 21 Sep
  • WWI GB (includes Extended and Alternate WWIs): 28 Jul – 11 Nov, thus matching the real start/end dates of the war
  • Book/Movie GB: 1 Nov - 31 Dec (with possible extension to 31 Jan 2015)

Note that I still like the idea of having some sort of "clear your Workbench" GB at the end of each year in order to provide some impetus to finish off projects.  I will go with what people want here though.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 02:55:56 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: 2014 GB Calendar
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 08:45:15 AM »
When browsing the stash during holidays I got flash of two core kits as base of concept for Snoops, Sensors, Spooks, & Spies.
Will need at least a third kit or partial scratch building.  Plenty time for closer look to decide if doable.

With a recent purchase came another build concept.  Also need to take a close look at concept.  Decide which way to go.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 10:38:55 PM »
I'm going to make a big effort to get in on the Snoops, Sensors etc one  but I will have to do some house reno's at the same time, we have our neices staying with us who are coming for 8 weeks so I've got to get the room finished otherwise SWMBO will not be ------------------ lets say the doghouse wouldn't be far enough away --  :-\

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 11:57:41 PM »
I'm going to make a big effort to get in on the Snoops, Sensors etc one  but I will have to do some house reno's at the same time, we have our neices staying with us who are coming for 8 weeks so I've got to get the room finished otherwise SWMBO will not be ------------------ lets say the doghouse wouldn't be far enough away --  :-\

Can you stow away in the compressor shed you designed. That will be 600 miles away. 
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 01:24:03 AM »

Can you stow away in the compressor shed you designed. That will be 600 miles away.

Might have too if the room doesn't get finished ---   ::)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 05:15:52 AM »
I wanted to plant the seed early for the free slot in July for an "armor/tank/land" GB.  :) 4 weeks may not be perfect (I need four years typically  ;D)

But without cockpits to paint and generally not much in the way of clear parts to be concerned about, I think an armor GB would fit really well.  thoughts?
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 10:38:44 AM »
How about a build that has nothing to do with death and destruction or stupidly extended wars?
Yeah, I know it won't happen as most people seem to prefer fantasy worlds where they can kill everybody
they hate, or think they hate based on the bullshit propaganda they've been conditioned to believe.
To be blunt, most whiffery I've seen over the decades has been unimaginative wankery. So no reason to expect anything different.
 :-X
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 10:46:47 AM »
How about a fast Racing GB?  This could include race cars, speed boats, Reno racers...etc.  it would not need to have any military connections.  Given the short time window, it could be a fast challenge.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 10:51:13 AM »
Did we ever talk about a "found object" GB?  Grab some random piece of whatever and turn it into well...anything!  An example would be the old computer mouse turned into a Dune buggy on here a while back.  The details and builder/artist escape me at the moment but you get the gist.  Back on the old whiff site someone (now since passed  :-[ ) turned an old stapler or paper clip holder into a "Scarab fighter".  Some kind of unmanned speedy space fighter out of a random bit of plastic office junk.  Again you get the idea.

I have a whole box of assorted things I've been saving for something like that.  Keep eying it every so often and keep fighting the urge to trash the whole box.  Just a thought  :)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 10:51:49 AM »
How about a build that has nothing to do with death and destruction or stupidly extended wars?
Yeah, I know it won't happen as most people seem to prefer fantasy worlds where they can kill everybody
they hate, or think they hate based on the bullshit propaganda they've been conditioned to believe.
To be blunt, most whiffery I've seen over the decades has been unimaginative wankery. So no reason to expect anything different.
 :-X

Sounds good, airliners, ocean liners, cars, trucks, Motorbikes  8), luxury yachts?

Actually quite a few navy ships end up in commercial roles and some, including frigates, PBs and MTBs have been converted to yachts.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:55:20 AM by Volkodav »

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 11:33:24 AM »
An "Anything but military GB" is an option to...maybe merge with a "Swords into Plowshares" GB?

I would recommend that people remember that the timeframe is 4 weeks (6 at a stretch), so you may not want ideas that are too complex or require long timeframes.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 03:35:24 AM »
I really like the idea of merging those two, Mr GTX. There seems to be a good bit of overlap between them.

I was part of a Found Objects GB once and it was a lot of fun. It helped me see common objects in a different light.

Brian da Basher

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 04:56:45 AM »
Ok folks, I have made an "Executive Decision" (oh, the power….Mwahahaha!!!):  The gap in our GB calendar is now filled by the "Anything but military" GB.  This will be a short one going from 1 Jul - 28 Jul (with possible extension).  It can all sorts of things but they aren't supposed to be warlike or military.  Therefore get your civilian hats on, plan on turning those swords into plowshares, etc…

Feel free to also nominate as GB Moderator.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »
Ok folks, I have made an "Executive Decision" (oh, the power….Mwahahaha!!!):  The gap in our GB calendar is now filled by the "Anything but military" GB.  This will be a short one going from 1 Jul - 28 Jul (with possible extension).  It can all sorts of things but they aren't supposed to be warlike or military.  Therefore get your civilian hats on, plan on turning those swords into plowshares, etc…

Feel free to also nominate as GB Moderator.

Excellent, Mr GTX! Can I nominate you?

Brian da Basher

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 04:19:26 PM »
You can try...though Jon has already agreed to.  Besides, I will be travelling again for the main part of July.

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 04:09:53 AM »
I like the idea of a civvy GB. But imo a month is too short. :(

What about this? http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=3785.msg57854#msg57854  ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:14:52 AM by ysi_maniac »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 04:23:02 AM »
I've got a 'civvie' to do too, but as Carlos says,  'too short of time'.  I'd need at least the same as the 'Snoops' GB

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 04:34:04 AM »
Just run it simultaneous with the WWI GB.  Make the Civvie one run from 1 July to 21 September, the International Day of Peace.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 05:10:28 AM »
Hi Logan, that is a brilliant idea :)

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 04:51:13 PM »
Guys...a month after the announcement?!  Couldn't you have made comment much earlier??

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 10:21:08 PM »
Greg hates Peace Day.  >:D :icon_meditation:

Cheers,

Logan

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 12:00:42 AM »
Sorry Greg, only just tuned into this thread.

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 02:33:46 AM »
Guys...a month after the announcement?!  Couldn't you have made comment much earlier??

You are right Greg ... as I said before: amonth is too short!  ;D ;D
 ;)

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2014, 06:20:44 AM »
I have no problem with moderating a longer term build. Mox nix.
 :icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2014, 07:08:21 AM »
^^^^^
Do you accept my entry proposal? http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=3785.msg57854#msg57854  ;) :)

BTW: what does "Mox nix" mean?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:10:03 AM by ysi_maniac »