Author Topic: Mini-51D Wingstang  (Read 12932 times)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Mini-51D Wingstang
« on: February 19, 2013, 01:37:54 PM »
My next model was to be a P-51D (Airfix) with Cheranovsky (Unicraft) delta-wing, and I faced a dilemma: on which site should I present it, as I was posting half here and half on the other site, having friends on both. Fortunately, the Airfix kit included 2 canopies, and I plan to make a second model with the extra parts. So the “serious” delta P-51 will be there and the “funny” P-51 flying wing will be here. (Sigh of relief)…

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Mini-51D Wingstang
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 06:38:57 AM »
I look very much forward to seeing this one, Tophe!

By the way, we welcome all kinds of models here...even the serious ones!

So feel free to post both of them if you wish!

Brian da Basher

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 01:26:54 PM »
Thanks!
Well, here is the project (fortunately, there are 2 tails and 2 propellers in the Unicraft kit). It will be a 1/144th plane as there is no room for 1/72nd pilot's legs...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 03:46:33 AM »
Oooooh! I like this one a lot, mon ami! It makes me think of Burnelli, especially those nice, upswept tails!

I am excited to see more!

Brian da Basher

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 12:01:22 PM »
Well, the wing is glued, not easily, and ready for PSR I hope (to dicrease span, I have discarded the lower part of the wing, and the two upper parts together are fragile, even with reinforcement below...)

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 01:56:33 AM »
The first putty is on, but I broke one propeller - it will be a glider as usual for me.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 04:35:01 AM »
That's coming along nicely, mon ami!

I really like how the upswept tails are complimented by the downward angle of the front of the cockpit.

You really have a wonderful eye for very pleasing shapes.

Brian da Basher

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 06:12:00 AM »
This looks like an Exciting design!  :-*

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 09:43:02 AM »
I'm really liking what you are doing ,my friend.  I suggest you add booms to the tails and perhaps a jet engine pod as seen on German late war concepts. In fact,I would have mounted it behind the cockpit on a pylon.  As to the flimsyness issue, I would have used a full length strip ,top and bottom,on the joins and if possible, taken one and glued it then trimmed it ruffly. I would add the other side to it. Once dry,I would clean and reshape the edges to shape. This would thickened the wing but given maxium strength. I use this method all the time.  Can't wait to see this finished ......
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 10:07:27 AM »
I just noticed a very lovely pair of spats in that picture, Tophe!
 :-* :-* :-*
The heart quickens just at the thought!
 :-* :-* :-*
Brian da Basher

Offline father ennis

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 10:09:48 AM »
Do we need to take a cold shower,BdB ??????
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 10:21:29 AM »
Like what you are doing here. 
Might borrow from concept.
Great job,,, looking forward to progress photos  :)

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 01:27:29 PM »
As to the flimsyness issue, I would have used a full length strip ,top and bottom,on the joins and if possible, taken one and glued it then trimmed it ruffly. I would add the other side to it. Once dry,I would clean and reshape the edges to shape. This would thickened the wing but given maxium strength. I use this method all the time.  Can't wait to see this finished ......
Sorry my English speaking is poor... Is strip a piece of sprue? and is ruffly something as (our teacher's) "roughly"?

Offline father ennis

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »
Didn't think about that my friend,sorry.  No,what I mean is use a single piece of plastic both long and wide enough for the top or bottom piece of wing. You will be putting it between the top and bottom of your glued left and right wing assembley. This only works if the wing/body is flat. If you are using a cockpit,you will need to cut an opening in the plastic where it will go.  I wouldn't use anything thinner than .015 thickness..020 would be better if you can stand the thickness to the wing/body. It's sort of like adding a "really big" and flat spar to the wing. You don't want it the same size as the half wing/body you first glue to it because you will want to reshape the edge once its dry and you add the other one. Use an emery board to clean and shape the wing/body'edges and make it disappear. Using liquidation glue,you should have one solid piece when finished.  I hope this clears things up for you.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 02:40:32 PM »
Didn't think about that my friend,sorry.  No,what I mean is use a single piece of plastic both long and wide enough for the top or bottom piece of wing. You will be putting it between the top and bottom of your glued left and right wing assembley. This only works if the wing/body is flat. If you are using a cockpit,you will need to cut an opening in the plastic where it will go.  I wouldn't use anything thinner than .015 thickness..020 would be better if you can stand the thickness to the wing/body. It's sort of like adding a "really big" and flat spar to the wing. You don't want it the same size as the half wing/body you first glue to it because you will want to reshape the edge once its dry and you add the other one. Use an emery board to clean and shape the wing/body'edges and make it disappear. Using liquidation glue,you should have one solid piece when finished.  I hope this clears things up for you.

Kind of like a sandwich with the styrene being the "meat in the middle" if that helps Tophe  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline father ennis

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 02:55:45 PM »
Thanks my friend,I didn't think of that analogy. Wish I had .

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 06:41:34 PM »
Thanks for those explanations, both of you.
Well, I have started the sanding without this reinforcement and nothing broke... ;)

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 01:22:47 AM »
Thanks for those explanations, both of you.
Well, I have started the sanding without this reinforcement and nothing broke... ;)

Great news!  :)

-David Fincher

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 01:15:12 PM »
Thanks.
The model is almost finished (it will be a 1/144 plane with black windows). I have reverted the fins, for them to look more like booms without huge work.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 09:09:40 PM »
What an interesting turn this project has taken! It never ceases to amaze me how doing something so simple like flipping the tail booms can completely alter the look of a model!

Now it looks like a wicked fast bird getting ready to leap into the air from its perch!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 04:29:34 AM »
I like it a lot!  :) I have been looking at wing sets differently thanks to this project  :)

-David Fincher

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
Thanks!
Well, the painting is done and I still have to paint the canopy or eyes... I face a dilemma, which direction?

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 06:45:28 PM »
I really like the 1/500 but the baby-bird is sooo cute!

Brian da Basher

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 02:17:53 AM »
Well, my first project was the 1/144th, but I considered the 1/500 inspired by your airships, dear Brian, and my decision (helped by your opinion) is the baby-bird:

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 02:19:34 AM »
The total P-51+BiCh-3 has generated a mother-bird and a baby-bird: