Author Topic: Freightdog  (Read 14866 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Freightdog
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2020, 02:19:14 AM »
Imagingng a wiff on top of a wiff AEW version.....

Like this:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2020, 03:44:32 AM »
Colin owner of Freightdog seriously looked at making a conversion but it was deem too complex.

From Secret Projects Forum:

The project of an AEW version of the H.S. 125 was much earlier than 1988. It is mentioned and illustrated in the January 1983 issue of AIR INTERNATIONAL entitled "From Skyraider to Nimrod... Thirty Years of British AEW" by Mike Hirst, which clearly identifies it as a 1964 project.

In 1962 this British team looked at three AEW configurations — respectively with ventral, dorsal and forward-and-aft-scanner system (FASS) installations. In trade-off studies, the latter arrangement was assessed to show the best overall performance, although it was hardly the most elegant-looking solution. With these results in mind, the Blackburn design team of 1963 (by then a part of the Hawker Siddeley Group) proposed the P.139 project. With hindsight, this unlovely-looking aircrfaft can be viewed as a sensible proposition, but its bulbous proportions earned it disparaging nicknames, and its stability proved to be suspect in wind-tunnel tests. By 1964, the P.139 project had been shelved, and less-expensive designs, using existing airframes, were being considered.

One serious idea was the conversion of several examples of the HS.125 business jet, but its configuration meant that it had to use a fixed dorsal radome, like the out-dated Tracer, and it was unable to meet even the simplest endurance requirements. It too was shelved, having brought home one other very important technical truth, that the FASS radar had to be used, as proposed in the P.139. [...]

In February 1965 Britain cancelled all future aircraft carrier development, and this effectively killed all interest in shipborne AEW developments.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2020, 04:30:09 AM »
How about a carrier-capable version of the Raytheon U-125A with conformal arrays as used on various Israeli concepts?  Another U-125A variant could serve as an ASW/ASUW sensor aircraft.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2020, 04:58:45 AM »
I was wrong, the Matchbox HS.125-600 is the last straight-jet powered version,  The HS.125-700 replaced the pure jet engines with Garrett TFE731 turbofans (prototype registration was G-BFAN) and I suspect it could be modelled using the nacelles from a 1/72 Falcon 10 (ISTR that the use the same Grumman-built nacelles, also used on Skyfox).  I'm tempted to go ahead and do the fan conversion for an upgraded Sea Trader..