Author Topic: Airfix  (Read 58997 times)

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Re: Airfix
« Reply #375 on: November 10, 2019, 07:28:57 PM »
About time we get a new Vulcan tool in "God's Scale" 8) 8) 8) 8) the old one is too hard to make into a realistic Vulcan  :icon_crap:
Now let's have a yap with Wingnut Wings for a 1/32nd Vulcan. You know, Handley Page 0-400, Avro Lancaster and Avro Vulcan has a nice flow to the subjects  8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #376 on: November 10, 2019, 08:33:48 PM »
About time we get a new Vulcan tool in "God's Scale" 8) 8) 8) 8) the old one is too hard to make into a realistic Vulcan  :icon_crap:
Now let's have a yap with Wingnut Wings for a 1/32nd Vulcan. You know, Handley Page 0-400, Avro Lancaster and Avro Vulcan has a nice flow to the subjects  8) 8) 8)

Agree. The Vulcan was "inevitable" as they need to complete the refresh of their V-bomber force.

I'd like to see a Lincoln. It would fill the gap between the new Lancaster and Shackleton.  I do have the Blackbird conversion.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #377 on: November 10, 2019, 08:37:59 PM »
Via Facebook.

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #378 on: November 10, 2019, 08:53:54 PM »
The Vulcan is one kit I would actually like to buy in 1/72, as it fits into my "Plan". ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #379 on: November 11, 2019, 01:35:06 AM »
 :smiley: for the Carrier
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #380 on: November 11, 2019, 02:35:22 AM »
I've seen Dave's HMS QE build while he was building it. But this HMS PoW looks much bigger. References say the ships are 932'-0" long, so divided by 350 equals 2.66 feet, which is about what Dave's QE looks like. But this looks like it takes up a whole table, it looks like it's 1/72 scale -- 932 divided by 72 equals 12.95 feet.

« Reply #381 on: November 11, 2019, 02:45:36 AM »
The two ships are the same size (1/350) which works at 30" (80cm) long with a beam of about 8" (20cm).  My little cottage couldn't handle a 1/72 scale job!

Dave
DaveCov - Creator of The Airfix Tribute Forum.

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." - Salvador Dali

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
« Reply #382 on: November 11, 2019, 04:06:23 AM »
Outstanding job Dave  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for the clarification. The table it's on and the chairs behind it, just seems to make it bigger.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #383 on: November 11, 2019, 04:37:28 AM »
Fantastic Work Dave!

Is there an encore project?

« Reply #384 on: November 11, 2019, 05:23:25 AM »
The model isn't sat on a table but sat on a 1.2 metre long box covered with Airfix red sheeting.

I am working on a waterline version as well but had to stop work on that one in order to finish this one in time for Telford. The other one is being made for me - which means there is no time limit on getting it done!

Dave
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:38:39 PM by davecov »

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #385 on: November 11, 2019, 06:44:07 AM »
Just a fantastic build --- will you be having any input with Airfix if they do proceed with a production kit of it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #386 on: November 11, 2019, 07:45:43 AM »
All I can say, Dave, is "Brilliant job!" :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #387 on: November 11, 2019, 09:47:08 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous carrier and I was intrigued by the selection of aircraft on deck, particularly, with my background, the V-22s.

« Reply #388 on: November 11, 2019, 06:52:21 PM »
All I can say, Dave, is "Brilliant job!" :smiley: 8)
Thank you!

Just a fantastic build --- will you be having any input with Airfix if they do proceed with a production kit of it.
I don't think it likely that will happen (asking me for input), Robert. Anyway, I doubt if Airfix could afford my consultancy fees!

Absolutely gorgeous carrier and I was intrigued by the selection of aircraft on deck, particularly, with my background, the V-22s.
Thank you. Ospreys are the only aircraft capable of re-supplying the ship with F-35 engines, if the ship is far from land. Although the UK government is not going to buy any of their own, US Marine V-22s will be used. They have already carried out day and night acceptance trials on QE.

Dave
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:16:57 PM by davecov »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #389 on: November 11, 2019, 09:43:25 PM »
Ospreys are the only aircraft of re-supplying the ship with F-35 engines, if the ship is far from land. Although the UK government is not going to buy any of their own, US Marine V-22s will be used. They have already carried out day and night acceptance trials on QE.

Dave
Pity, I think a version of the USN's COD variant would look good in British markings.