Author Topic: F5U Flapjack & other Disc-wings  (Read 5536 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
F5U Flapjack & other Disc-wings
« on: May 14, 2012, 02:22:06 PM »
Back in 2003, Stuart Beetson built the Hasegawa F5U Flapjack in RAAF colours and this has been in the back of my mind ever since.  I may now get one  & will probably do it in the same scheme .... it looks good in the overall USN  Blue Angels blue too but I was wondering what other whif schemes it would look good in.

I have a few DML Hortens which, apart from the wing plan-form, look similar .... so I might add some sheet plastic to one of those :))
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:18:23 AM by raafif »

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
Re: F5U Flapjack
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 06:44:36 PM »
That colour scheme really suits the Flapjack - awesome model!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 07:29:44 PM »
I plan to do one in RNZAF F4U type scheme one day.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 04:06:59 AM »
Great Idea on the flapjack schemes. You could put them into just about every nation out there, given a desire for STOL both land and carrier based.

I whiffed a two seater night fighter F5U with Korean era USMC markings back in my 1/72 days.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: F5U Flapjack & other Disc-wings
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 07:17:56 AM »
Expanding the thread to Disc-wings in general -- these were predominantly an American idea - Chance Vought built one in 1918 & the wing-shape became popular in the 1930's.  Wiki & their many clones sites have nothing on these planes.
http://celticowboy.com/Round%20Aircraft%20Designs.htm
Nemeth Umbrella Plane -- http://www.aerofiles.com/_n.html -- scroll down to "Nemeth".

the German Sack AS.6  http://www.luft46.com/misc/sackas6.html

a quick Bing search gives these pages ....
http://celticowboy.com/Wm%20Bushnell%20Stout.htm
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal7/6601-6700/gal6604-Umbrellaplane-Stern/00.shtm

You may want to check out the Russian EKIP -- a disc or "bread-box" shaped "flying wing" airliner-type aircraft that has flown experimentally.   http://ekip-aviation-concern.com/eng-b/1.shtml

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 11:32:43 AM by raafif »

Offline sequoiaranger

• Gone but not forgotten. He already has a team of angels working up his bench in the sky!
  • Holding Pattern
  • E Pluribus Unum (modeling style)
"Aunt Jemimah Flapjack"
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 12:32:13 AM »
Way down my "to do" list is an F5U. Can't help but admire the genius of the design (hey, it actually WORKS!!)

I am going to paint mine like an "Aunt Jemimah" pancake on the cover of a pancake-mix box, with melted butter and syrup oozing down it. I may end up taking a pic of such and creating a decal or something so it looks "real". I guess it would have to be considered "desert" camo, what with the light brown/dark brown "pancake" look!

But, I would have to watch out for "seadude"s teeth-gnashing interceptors unsatisfied with merely a "PBJ" (see What-if Board for details)!!
My mind is like a compost heap--fertile AND rotten!

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 01:22:27 AM »
 I have the old Peagsus kit that I fiddle with from time to time...just haven't settled on quite where I
 want to go with it yet. I have thought about an SEA scheme.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 08:36:47 PM »
^ I have one too. I was leaning toward USMC in Korea, black like their F7F/F3Ds.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 11:14:49 PM »
Sword does the V-173 prototype in 1/72, I've got one of those in the stash along with a Hasegawa XF5U

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 03:15:15 AM »
You can also scratchbuild very easy. Cut discs of paper in ever decreasing diameter and glue up into a 9 layer sandwich (1/144 model) and form the fuselage, dowels for the shaft tubes, Paper for the fins, wood for the canopy or find a clear plastic bubble if you have one. Toothpicks for the U/C and wheels from the parts bin. This is a v-173 what - if showing a 1942 Pancake flying in the Battle of Midway.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: "Aunt Jemimah Flapjack"
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 02:56:07 AM »
Way down my "to do" list is an F5U. Can't help but admire the genius of the design (hey, it actually WORKS!!)

I am going to paint mine like an "Aunt Jemimah" pancake on the cover of a pancake-mix box, with melted butter and syrup oozing down it. I may end up taking a pic of such and creating a decal or something so it looks "real". I guess it would have to be considered "desert" camo, what with the light brown/dark brown "pancake" look!

But, I would have to watch out for "seadude"s teeth-gnashing interceptors unsatisfied with merely a "PBJ" (see What-if Board for details)!!

Totally awesome paint concept.    :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 04:35:05 AM »
If anyone is tempted (click on picture to see more details):

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
Re: "Aunt Jemimah Flapjack"
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 08:29:53 AM »

Rats! I was working on something along these very lines too! darn it all!

ok, I think I'll keep at it, by the time I'm done, it will likely be 2019.

Alvis 3.1

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 08:35:01 AM »
a few schemes for the coming Flapjack kits ?

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 09:42:36 AM »
Did I miss the inter-office memo? Is there a F5U kit coming?
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...