Author Topic: Gekko's Profiles  (Read 250571 times)

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
Re: Gekko's Profiles
« Reply #575 on: April 27, 2013, 08:30:46 AM »
<...> Lt P Watson downed an Su-25 Frogfoot in this aircraft with an AIM-9L Sidewinder whilst in support of SAS troops attempting to rescue BP engineers being held hostage.

Intriguing!  :icon_ninja: Please elaborate!
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

« Reply #576 on: April 27, 2013, 09:00:40 PM »
Sahara Ball sounds most interesting!

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #577 on: April 27, 2013, 09:18:58 PM »
The Desert-one is top!! 8)

Offline Gekko1

• He makes his own decals...seriously!!!
    • Studio Gekko
« Reply #578 on: April 27, 2013, 11:18:50 PM »

Just before dawn on the morning of the 29th of April 1984, HMS Hermes Strike Wing launched for an attack on a Mauritanian  Air Force FOB (Forward Operating Base). Hermes three Corsair FGR.2 Squadrons 892, 890 and the newly redesignated 871 Squadron participated in the attacks.

The attacks resulted in the destruction of the airfield, fifteen aircraft parked about the airfield and six surface to air missile batteries. The Corsairs were armed with various combinations of Matra rocket pods, BL755 cluster bombs, 1000lb bombs, Skipper II LGRP bombs, Maverick missiles and Shrike missiles.

Lt George Williams, of 892 Squadron, flying Corsair 203 (illustrated above), managed to destroy two MiG-23's and a MiG-17 during his attack. The HMS Hermes Attack Wing concept proved to be so successful that the previously designated 771 Squadron (a shore based training Squadron), which had been dispatched at short notice, was re-designated 871 Squadron and brought up to front line combat status.

Cheers

Richard.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #579 on: April 28, 2013, 04:02:12 AM »

My favourite so far!  Added to the build list!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Geist

• Never give up from your dreams!
    • Duhr Aviation Art
« Reply #580 on: April 28, 2013, 07:44:37 AM »
They are all great!
Check out my other works at my website, leave your comments and download the wallpapers!
http://www.duhraviationart.com

Offline Matt Wiser

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #581 on: April 28, 2013, 12:53:05 PM »
The SLUF in any color is rightous! And this coming from somebody who wanted to be an A-6 B/N....
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect. But always have a plan ready to kill them.

Old USMC Adage.

Offline Gekko1

• Studio Gekko
« Reply #582 on: April 29, 2013, 11:29:50 PM »

This Corsair FG.2, number 207 of 892 Squadron, flown by Lt Sarah MacIntosh, claimed an SA-8 Gecko on the morning of 29/4/84. This same Corsair was shot down by a Mauritanian MiG-25 two days later, the pilot ejecting safely.

Cheers

Richard.

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #583 on: April 30, 2013, 08:50:34 AM »
Great SLUFs how about a Yugoslav one (as F-84 replacement)

« Reply #584 on: May 01, 2013, 09:27:49 AM »
WOW!!!!!! Just great

Offline Gekko1

• Studio Gekko
« Reply #585 on: May 01, 2013, 04:49:08 PM »

Sorry, don't have plans for a Yugoslav A-7. I'm producing these profiles to be part of a "What-if?" dedicated deal sheet I'm bringing out. So far the sheet will have Royal Navy, Royal Australian Navy, Royal New Zealand Navy, Japanese Navy, USN, USMC, German Marine. Other possible countries include France, Italy, Hungary, Poland, Spain, Brazil, Denmark, Canada, Czech, RAF and Israel. The decals will be in 48th and 72nd and cover the A-4 Skyhawk and A-7E Corsair. At this stage.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #586 on: May 02, 2013, 11:14:23 AM »
Any chance of a whif Buccaneer sheet at a later date?  I'm thinking of a USAF one with the radar fit from the F-105 in place of Blue Parrot in SEA camo with black undersides; followed by one in wrap-around Euro One and wrap-around Asia Minor.

Offline AGRA

• Took the opportunity to tease us with a RAAF F-82
« Reply #587 on: May 02, 2013, 01:06:55 PM »
Historical stickler alert: 892 NAS only painted the Omega sign on their tails when the HM Govt. announced that the Phantom and conventional carrier force would be disbanded at the end of life of HMS Ark Royal. Their previous tail flash was some kind of black bat/chevron on a yellow circle.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #588 on: May 03, 2013, 01:43:07 AM »
<...> I'm producing these profiles to be part of a "What-if?" dedicated deal sheet I'm bringing out. So far the sheet will have Royal Navy, Royal Australian Navy, Royal New Zealand Navy, Japanese Navy, USN, USMC, German Marine. Other possible countries include France, Italy, Hungary, Poland, Spain, Brazil, Denmark, Canada, Czech, RAF and Israel. The decals will be in 48th and 72nd and cover the A-4 Skyhawk and A-7E Corsair. At this stage.

In 1/72?  :o Awesome!  :)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Gekko1

• Studio Gekko
« Reply #589 on: May 03, 2013, 03:01:27 AM »
Historical stickler alert: 892 NAS only painted the Omega sign on their tails when the HM Govt. announced that the Phantom and conventional carrier force would be disbanded at the end of life of HMS Ark Royal. Their previous tail flash was some kind of black bat/chevron on a yellow circle.

Quite right! :-[  I'll create an option so the modeller can choose which way to go for him/her self. :)

Offline Gekko1

• Studio Gekko
« Reply #590 on: May 03, 2013, 03:04:35 AM »
Some variations on a theme.

Cheers

Richard.

Offline Gekko1

• Studio Gekko
« Reply #591 on: May 03, 2013, 03:06:46 AM »
Any chance of a whif Buccaneer sheet at a later date?  I'm thinking of a USAF one with the radar fit from the F-105 in place of Blue Parrot in SEA camo with black undersides; followed by one in wrap-around Euro One and wrap-around Asia Minor.

It's possible. I'll have to wait and see if this first sheet sells or not. If it doesn't sell there won't be any more.

Offline cptmike2012

« Reply #592 on: May 03, 2013, 03:21:58 AM »

Sorry, don't have plans for a Yugoslav A-7. I'm producing these profiles to be part of a "What-if?" dedicated deal sheet I'm bringing out. So far the sheet will have Royal Navy, Royal Australian Navy, Royal New Zealand Navy, Japanese Navy, USN, USMC, German Marine. Other possible countries include France, Italy, Hungary, Poland, Spain, Brazil, Denmark, Canada, Czech, RAF and Israel. The decals will be in 48th and 72nd and cover the A-4 Skyhawk and A-7E Corsair. At this stage.

Since you mentioned Poland among your "other possible countries", could you please do a Polish A7 (and possibly an A4)  :D

Thanks and regards,

CPT Mike

Offline Bryan H.

« Reply #593 on: May 03, 2013, 08:14:50 AM »
I'm looking forward to all the profiles - really, looking forward to the RN & RCN A-4's.  :)  Any chance of some Irish Air Corps A-4 profiles?

Cheers & happy modeling, Bryan

Offline Gekko1

• Studio Gekko
« Reply #594 on: May 03, 2013, 06:23:50 PM »

Since you mentioned Poland among your "other possible countries", could you please do a Polish A7 (and possibly an A4)  :D

Thanks and regards,

CPT Mike

That's the plan CPT Mike. ;)

However the roundels I'm going to do for the Polish aircraft will not look like the roundels in actual use today. It will be the same design, but round, not square.

Richard.

Offline Gekko1

• Studio Gekko
« Reply #595 on: May 03, 2013, 06:37:35 PM »
I'm looking forward to all the profiles - really, looking forward to the RN & RCN A-4's.  :)  Any chance of some Irish Air Corps A-4 profiles?

Cheers & happy modeling, Bryan

Hi Bryan!

Sorry mate, the bus is full. I'll put Irish and Yugoslav down for a later date.

Cheers

Richard.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #596 on: May 04, 2013, 02:51:51 AM »
Some variations on a theme.

Cheers

Richard.

Luv' 'em all!!!! :-*
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Gekko1

• Studio Gekko
« Reply #597 on: May 06, 2013, 04:28:43 AM »

Cheers

Richard.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #598 on: May 06, 2013, 06:08:26 AM »
Sounds like heresy because I enjoy color, but I am really diggin' these lo vis markings
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Gekko1

• Studio Gekko
« Reply #599 on: May 07, 2013, 12:55:54 AM »
Sounds like heresy because I enjoy color, but I am really diggin' these lo vis markings

Thanks matey!

Yeah I know what you mean. Most low vis is boring as bat shit. I think that's why VF-111 and VF-84 are such favourites for many people. It all comes down to the graphic design. Some squadrons, wether it be air force, navy or marine put in a lot of effort to make their mounts look "cool". But most don't seem to really be bothered. The new RAAF F-18F Hornets are a good example! They're about as boring to look at as boring gets!