Author Topic: LF: Suitable Scale U.S. Navy Markings (40's or 50's) for Hughes HK-1/H-4 What-If Project  (Read 4006 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
Damn!  Just looking at that image of the engine, propeller, and Harrier and the first thing I imagine is how about eight Harriers (suitably modified without cockpits and tail) powering the Hercules?

Something along these lines below then, this started as my 'proof-of-concept' multi-Harrier-engined FTB (I've used two Harrier fuselages as nacelles)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
I've already got these parts for it a year or so ago.  The bottom pic is a comparison between the props and a Harrier, and I've just found that the props are as big in diameter as the props on the Airbus A400M

HK-1/H-4 Hercules with eight-blade propellers sounds absolutely wicked !

Been reading up on the HK-1/H-4 and even though it used the most powerful engine then being produced in the US (4000hp R-4360's) and used eight of them, it was grossly underpowered.  This aircraft has a fuselage depth that almost matches the Airbus A380, has a fuselage just a bit shorter than a Boeing 747 but was only powered by 32,000 hp.  Even if it had engines of twice the power I'd think it was a bit underpowered.  Keep in mind a pound of thrust is about 1 hp (according to a book I got from the Rolls Royce Heritage Trust), a 747 is powered by four 50-60,000 lbs thrust engines and the A380 uses four Trents which I think are around 80-100,000 lb thrust engines.

I would think the HK-1/H-4 needed six (or eight) Airbus A400M engines  --- with contra-props -----  ;D

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
Damn!  Just looking at that image of the engine, propeller, and Harrier and the first thing I imagine is how about eight Harriers (suitably modified without cockpits and tail) powering the Hercules?
Something along these lines below then, this started as my 'proof-of-concept' multi-Harrier-engined FTB (I've used two Harrier fuselages as nacelles)

Yep, pretty much just like that but with six more of the same :)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I've already got these parts for it a year or so ago.  The bottom pic is a comparison between the props and a Harrier, and I've just found that the props are as big in diameter as the props on the Airbus A400M
HK-1/H-4 Hercules with eight-blade propellers sounds absolutely wicked !
Been reading up on the HK-1/H-4 and even though it used the most powerful engine then being produced in the US (4000hp R-4360's) and used eight of them, it was grossly underpowered.  This aircraft has a fuselage depth that almost matches the Airbus A380, has a fuselage just a bit shorter than a Boeing 747 but was only powered by 32,000 hp.  Even if it had engines of twice the power I'd think it was a bit underpowered.  Keep in mind a pound of thrust is about 1 hp (according to a book I got from the Rolls Royce Heritage Trust), a 747 is powered by four 50-60,000 lbs thrust engines and the A380 uses four Trents which I think are around 80-100,000 lb thrust engines.

I would think the HK-1/H-4 needed six (or eight) Airbus A400M engines  --- with contra-props -----  ;D

It would quite impressive with eight of the propellers from the A400M. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:42:51 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

BTW where are going to store the HK-1 once it is built?  Do you have a home extension planned or third floor? ;D

I've got a hanger  -------  :uuu:

just joking -- our home has a large basement where there's a very open space for a couple of display cabinets for my models. Each cabinet will be about 7'-0 x 3'-6" and from floor to ceiling (about 7 feet) and I plan on using glass from old patio doors (it's tempered glass) for the sides and shelves

Offline kitnut617

Here's a pic of my 1/200 scale HK-1, it's wingspan is 19". That's 2" more than a 1/72 Lancaster.

For my 1/72 model of it, I'm thinking of a scheme like this Fireball in the bottom pic.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
How about a HK-1 with the engines from a pair of Tu-95s?

Offline kitnut617

I think that is what it needs Evan, maybe even 6 engines.  On Wikipedia it says it's M.T.W. was supposed to be in the region of 400,000 lbs.  Come to think of it, I've got an Antonov An-22 in the stash, I'll dig it out and compare the engine mounts, two engines are 30,000 shp, 60,000 shp sounds about right

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
Here's a pic of my 1/200 scale HK-1, it's wingspan is 19". That's 2" more than a 1/72 Lancaster.

For my 1/72 model of it, I'm thinking of a scheme like this Fireball in the bottom pic.

One better, would be to go with gloss sea blue for the entire aircraft and then paint the upper surfaces of the fuselage white.  But with that you would need the regular red,white, and blue national insignia unless you opt for an RAF Transport Command Scheme :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg