Author Topic: 1/35 Modified German Pattern 75mm-gun Type 5 Tank Kuroi-hyō - FINISHED  (Read 14173 times)

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: 1/35 Modified German Pattern 75mm-gun Type 5 Tank Kuroi-hyō
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2019, 02:42:09 PM »
Thanks, apophenia! :icon_alabanza:

So considerate to leave a target marking the best spot to take out the crew!

National markings have 'spoiled' many a camouflage job but they're applied nonetheless.

Kinda like the big white stars painted on the sides & turret-tops of US tanks? ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2019, 11:52:34 AM »
Pre-decal/transfer gloss coat going on.

Hopefully get the very few decals done tonight after work. Then gloss coat again before weathering.

The tracks are a b@r$tard, typical Tamiya rubber band jobbies. Too tight (designed for the motorised toy version), so I have to work out how to get the slack on them for the loose return run on the Panther.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2019, 11:11:48 PM »
If you're not using side skirts (which hide many track issues) you're going to have to do surgery on the return roller arm or Frankenstein an extra link or two where it will be less obvious.

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2019, 09:01:23 AM »
No skirts in this kit but it's an option. However, that means scratch-building & (although I've already done some) I'm not really up for that with this build.

We'll see, though. I may change my mind. ;)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2019, 10:19:06 AM »
If you're not using side skirts (which hide many track issues) you're going to have to do surgery on the return roller arm or Frankenstein an extra link or two where it will be less obvious.

Yep those tracks will fight you  :-X

Maybe alternative track?

This really looks the part! very cool build  :smiley:
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2019, 11:32:47 PM »
Thanks, ttc! :icon_alabanza:

As the entire underside is pretty faecal, accuracy-wise, I'm thinking it may be easiest to leave a gap on the bottom & put her belly deep in "muddy water(s)".

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2019, 12:17:01 AM »
Likeing a lot.
You have helped flesh out something. In the Colin Gee WW2 RedGambit alt history books, the Germans send out panthers to the Japanese, so seeing them in Japanese colours ticks the boxes.

Great work

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2019, 12:01:11 PM »
Thanks, Brian! :icon_alabanza:

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2019, 08:41:48 PM »
TC & basic weathering happening. :))

Neither's as good as I'd hoped but that comes down to my impatience & desire for a faster build. Still, generally not unhappy with how she's coming along.

I'll try to get some pic's tomorrow.

:smiley:

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2019, 07:01:14 PM »
Somewhat delayed but here are some photo's.

The observant will notice that the tracks are missing & I haven't started the dio (well, that last bit's nothing new :rolleyes:). I've caved in & I'm about to order some styrene individual tracks which will drive me insane but anything's better than the Godzawful Tamiya offerings (6 types of glue - none worked on the tracks - & the styrene spare track links are pathetic).

Any way, here are the pic's:

Believe it or not, there's a driver in here somewhere!

To compensate, here's the TC (the driver is actually a better job but you'll just have to take my word for it).

Some front quarter shots:

This one shows some hits & misses in the weathering on the bow:

You may well notice the gloss showing through the slightly crackled flat finish: Impatience did that, I forgot that gloss takes longer to dry, as it has to out-gas through a less porous surface.

You may also notice the crazing of the green paint on the turret sides: That occurred when I gloss coated but I have no idea why, as the same paint was used over the entire hull & this is almost the only place it was effected like this.

So, there you have it. Hope you like it. All constructive comments welcome.

Cheers! :icon_beer:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2019, 11:30:17 PM »
Looks nicely dirty/slimy/muddy/humid. TBH, the crazed green on the turret is "realistic" - Japanese paints weren't known to be very good (look at the paint job on any Japanese fighter that isn't crashed or in flames). It could also be waved off as the paint highlighting the cast structure on the turret.

The TC looks suitably concerned/alert.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2019, 12:34:20 AM »
This is some mighty fine work.  It also has sparked an idea of an early Pershing in USMC service for Operation Downfall to deal with this threat.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2019, 02:35:21 AM »
Looking good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2019, 02:41:35 AM »
In the Colin Gee WW2 RedGambit alt history books, the Germans send out panthers to the Japanese

Err...check again.  In the Red Gambit series it was the Soviets who sent the Japanese the Panthers.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2019, 05:17:31 AM »
That's some mighty fine paint work accented with some of the best AFV weathering I've ever seen!

Man, I'd hate to see this beastie coming at me.

I think I'll go hide...   :icon_crap:

Brian da Basher

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2019, 03:41:01 PM »
Thanks, guys! :icon_alabanza:

Actually, the weathering is a bit over the top but I'm explaining it away as inferior Japanese steel & more exposure to coastal environments. ;)

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2019, 01:22:15 AM »
OK, started on the tracks this morning before heading off to work. It's 0245hrs "tomorrow" & I've half of one track done, which I'll try to finish off tomorrow before moving on to the other.

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2019, 10:08:30 AM »
One track built into 3 x lengths, one track to go.

Then I can paint & fit them! :smiley:

These tracks are a little easier to assemble than the others I've used.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2019, 10:38:37 AM »
Nice work so far! Colours look great!  :smiley:

Just...

could you give the TC a katana?

Would be kinda fitting for a Japanese TC and it'd be funny as hell!

;D
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2019, 09:41:14 PM »
I'd actually thought about that, Moritz, but, unfortunately, Japanese tank officers only wore swords ceremonially & were issued bayonets, like all other tankers, for combat use (my TC is wearing his, I just can't get any images of it).

I'm sure the officers found a place for their swords in their tanks, as they were an important status symbol, but they weren't worn.

I'm, also, figuring my TC is probably an NCO, not an officer.

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2019, 10:42:51 AM »
Righto! Still a lot of niggling faults but the only things missing are the tow cables & they're only a minor detail (until it breaks down ;)).

Last pic's of this:

Thanks for watching everybody! :smiley: :icon_alabanza: :icon_beer:

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2019, 11:25:04 AM »
Very nice indeed.  Great work!  :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2019, 11:50:08 AM »
Toooo good  :smiley:
Looks the part.  Rust very realistic.  Beyond my skills.

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2019, 01:40:31 PM »
Thanks, guys! :smiley:

As I've said earlier, the rust is too heavy but I have fun doing it & I'll just make up a story to cover it; in this case inferior Japanese steel & operating in a more coastal environment. ;)

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
Re: 1/35 Modified German Pattern 75mm-gun Type 5 Tank Kuroi-hyō - FINISHED
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2019, 04:05:28 PM »
I love the way this looks, very cool.
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.