Author Topic: Christie M3 tank  (Read 10703 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Christie M3 tank
« on: October 30, 2014, 10:58:45 AM »
I've always liked the Christie wheeled tanks of the 1930s. The Russians did, too - they bought the Christie design (as tested by the US Army) and turned it into the BT-2 and later the BT-5 and BT-7, which were used in WWII.
The Christie T3 tank, as tested by the US Army is still around: http://www.peachmountain.com/5star/tanks_Christie_T3.aspx

I decided to build a production Christie tank, had it been accepted by the US Army. The base kit is pretty easy to find; Zvezda has used the base design for their series of BT-5 and BT-7 tanks. They're a little rough, but quite buildable. I used their BT-5 tank and Eduard BT-5 PE set as a start.

The original MG based T3 turret was not going to be effective, so I borrowed a turret from a Tamiya M3 Stuart tank, and added a coaxial 0.50 cal gun.
I didn't take many pictures during the build, but this picture shows the restored pointy nose that was lopped off in the Russian BT series:

I redid the top of the turret as well. The engine air intake vents show tule backing. This was later replaced with Eduard PE mesh.

The three figures I'll eventually add are from the Miniart "Close Combat U.S. Tank Crew" set 35135:

The tank is almost finished in this picture. The cooling slats at the rear are scratchbuilt and are similar to those on the T3 tank. The BT-5 wheels have styrene covers, similar to those on the T3. The rear track drive wheel is completely scratchbuilt. The angled fronts on the engine air intake covers are similar to the ones on the T3. They're designed to allow the turret to rotate 360 degrees. The Stuart turret was hitting the covers as well, so I added the angled front. The BT-5 turret is taller, so it clears the covers.

I was tempted to leave it as a wheeled tank but I saw the Hobbyboss BT-7 fast track set and was impressed that the tracks were click together and workable. No gluing means that it'll be a fast build, right?

I wasted two days trying to get the track to stay in one piece. I ended up gluing segments together and even those came apart as I tried to put the track on the tank. I rand through my supply of curse words in several languages, and had to invent some. The brand should have been warning enough that it was not going to be a pain free build. The main issue is that the tracks use tiny plastic bumps that click into matching holes. Unfortunately, clinking the tracks together is enough to slice off or damage one or both of the bumps and the links won't stay together.
I ended up using the kit tracks, which are link and length. These tracks will hold together without glue long enough to place them on the tank.

Here are some pictures of the mostly finished tank. I dropped it just before taking the pictures, so the right side tracks are a little wonky. The tank is named "Never talk to strangers" which is also the name of a ship in the Iain Banks "Culture" series.

I added a steering wheel:

The 0.30 cal MG is from the Academy set. The front headlights are from a quad .50 kit that Jeff sent me.

The shiny spare track is just the kit part painted black and rubbed with Lifecolor reflective pigment, which is probably just graphite. I also made a basket and rudimentary interior for the turret. The 37mm gun breach is scratchbuilt, although I used some turret parts from the Tamiya 1/35 sd kfz 222.

The twisted right drive is due to the twisting of the front right roller.  The red color on the hull isn't rust, but dirt. The serial number "TC-201410" is just Tank Christie and the year and month I finished it.

"Never talk to strangers"

Next is fixing the right track damage and finishing the three figures. I'm not sure what the back story will be - either a fast recon tank during the Aleutian Islands Campaign or as a fast recon tank in Northern Mexico, fighting an aggressive Communist Mexico in the 1930s.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Christie M3 tank
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 11:20:36 AM »
Personally, I'm not a fan of Walter J. Christie or many of his designs (I think they're overrated), but I won't deny that they look good. Your model, though, looks absolutely fantastic and is the most convincing interpretation of a US production Christie that I've ever seen! Great work!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 12:09:27 PM »
Subject matter choice/configuration and build appearance are top notch.
Sure do like your "Christie M3 tank"  :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:11:39 PM by finsrin »

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 12:23:12 PM »
that is one fine lookin Christie!
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 04:50:46 PM »
Looks good.  I have thought of doing similar.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 05:28:40 PM »
Interesting subject matter there Frank. I've never seen one like that before.
Nicely weathered and painted too!
Do mini craft also make German engineers as well?
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 10:28:06 PM »
That is a nice looking little build, Frank! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 10:39:13 PM »
Sweet! A great build and I could easily imagine lend lease versions of this in a British desert scheme.

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 12:27:20 AM »
Frank, that's such a great idea and a great looking model.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 07:21:38 AM »
Very nice build and for a pre - WWII US tank quite believable.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 07:38:14 AM »
Thanks for the comments!

Quote from: Madhatter
Do mini craft also make German engineers as well?

I couldn't find any engineers from MiniArt, Master Box Dragon or Trumpeter (check reviews before buying a Trumpeter figure set, though. They range from awful to OK).

MiniArt has a few German figure sets that may work:

German soldiers at work:
http://www.miniart-models.com/index.htm?/35065.htm

German tank repair crew:
http://www.miniart-models.com/35011.htm

German tank crew at work:
http://www.miniart-models.com/35010.htm

Master Box has a German repair crew:
http://www.mbltd.info/3582.htm

Quote from: Volkodav
Sweet! A great build and I could easily imagine lend lease versions of this in a British desert scheme.

I made a "Christy Stewart" using parts from a retired build of the old reboxing of the Zvezda BT-5 kit and a Tamiya M3 Stuart:

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1577.msg21149#msg21149

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 08:04:40 PM »
Hey thanks for those links Frank - I didn't know those products even existed. Goes to show how sheltered I am ;)
I may have to pick up a couple of different sets  to get the fit combination. The only issue I have is I can't paint figures to save myself.
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 05:16:43 AM »
Great looking build Frank.
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 07:00:42 AM »
Very nice indeed - really looks the part.  :)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 10:11:46 AM »
That is one nice combination of kit parts Frank.  Really went together rather well and it certainly looks right for the early WW2 period.  Wonder now what the M5 version would look like :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 04:45:38 AM »
You really hit it out of the park with this beauty, Frank!

An absolutely believable concept too made even more so by your amazing weathering! If it wasn't real, it wouldn't get used so hard, amirite?

Your talent is simply off the charts!

Brian da Basher