Author Topic: Les Autres ASW d'Apophenia  (Read 2309 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Les Autres ASW d'Apophenia
« on: June 11, 2022, 09:20:58 AM »
Apophenia's Other ASWs

"How your mind hops about!"  ... I was trying to come up with categories for GB entries but have gone totally generic instead   :P

This one spun off of Robert's observation of the similar shapes of the Dash 7 and Shin Meiwa PS-1 and US-2. I don't think that an actual, styrene scale-o-rama would work. But pixels are a bit more flexible   :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline apophenia

Re: Les Autres ASW d'Apophenia
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 09:30:27 AM »
Inspired, in part, by MAT's Super Hansa project, I went off on a derivative of the Saab S 17BS with twin engines. In my mind's eye it would be a looker. In reality? A mutt!

In any case, I present the Saab L 27 which would enter Flygvapnet service as the S 27A (Spaning = Reconnaissance). The L 27 was powered by two imported 470 hp Piaggio P.VII C.35 7-cylinder radials. [1] Other than reinforcement for those wing-mounted Piaggio Stellas and an extended nose, the airframe was essentially the same as that of the single-engined L 17.

[1] These engines had been secured for a planned Caproni Ca.310 purchase (which was eclipsed by the Delta-engined Ca.313). The surplus Piaggio engines would also be used on the Sk14A trainer - the Swedish built North American NA-31.

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 02:12:49 AM »
I like the Saab
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 02:29:28 AM »
Thanks Greg.

I'm wondering if moving the cockpit forward wasn't a mistake. A new, glazed nose simply attached to the original cockpit might have looked a bit more pugnacious?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 03:28:15 AM »
The nose reminds me of the Bristol Blenheim Mk.I, with the Saab glazed section behind it. The nose position looks good - look at the Beaufighter .

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 05:05:52 AM »
What they said  :smiley:

Saab looks great

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 02:19:53 PM »
Apophenia's Other ASWs

"How your mind hops about!"  ... I was trying to come up with categories for GB entries but have gone totally generic instead   :P

This one spun off of Robert's observation of the similar shapes of the Dash 7 and Shin Meiwa PS-1 and US-2. I don't think that an actual, styrene scale-o-rama would work. But pixels are a bit more flexible   :smiley:

Don’t sell yourself short! I think that combo could be done if a person could collect the right parts and some extra polystyrene.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 06:35:49 AM »
By the end of the 1970s, the Kheil HaAvir's Fouga CM.170 Magister jet trainers were beginning to reveal structural fatigue - with cracks appearing in the wings and fuselage. Israeli Aircraft Industries embarked upon a thorough rebuild programme resulting in the IAI Tzukit (Thrush) trainer. The first Tzukit was handed over to the air force in May 1981, with serial re-deliveries running 1983-1986. This was to be an interim programme, filling a gap until the arrival of a new Advanced Jet Trainer (AJT). [1]

With the IAI trainer group absorbed by the AJT project, the Tzukit Life-Extension Group turned to alternative roles for the aged Fougas airframes. Since the cramped Tzukit airframe could not accommodate ejection seats, it was perhaps inevitable that unmanned variants began to dominate. First were simple, remotely-controlled target aircraft. However, the IAF was satisfied with its US-supplied Firebee target drones.

The next development - with what would now be called a 'pilot optional' aircraft - began with a prototype Tzukit with an enormous satellite uplink antenna fitted above its former rear cockpit. This aircraft demonstrated the potential for RPVs with pre-programmed flightpaths adjusted by satellite commands while airborne. The success of this demonstration led to yet another Fouga rebuild programme - that of the IAI Yanshuf (Owl) UAVs. This aircraft had their cockpits entirely removed. The satlink antenna was moved forward - the former rear cockpit area now housing a retractable electro-optical turret by Elron/Elbit.

Yanshuf-M - The Maritime Patrol Owl

IAI also saw a potential market for an extended-range reconnaissance UAV capable of filling the Maritime Patrol role. To that end, the basic Tzukit/Yanshuf conversion was updated an redesigned. The most obvious change was substituting a comparatively large IAI SAR surface search radar antenna under the belly (with a smaller Elbit E/O turret place forward under the nose). To accommodate the bulging SAR radome, the stumpy Fouga undercarriage had to be completely redesigned to provide adequate clearance. Extensively tested by the Israeli Defence Forces, this revised Yanshuf-M variant was judged a success. However, IDF orders were not forthcoming and no foreign interest was expressed. With that, the Yanshuf-M project was quietly dropped and IAI moved on to original MALE UAV designs.

[1] For this Advanced Jet Trainer project, IAI joined forces with an American firm - Aviation Technology Group Inc - in an attempt to produce a completely new, twin-engined, jet trainer. However, this ambitious programme faltered and no Javelin AJT was ever completed.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 01:18:31 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline apophenia

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 11:10:46 AM »
Airbus Canada CanDrone

When France opted out of the Eurodrone (European MALE RPAS) programme, [1] the entire project relocated to Airbus Defence Canada in Ottawa. The Government of Canada's offer to fund the project stipulated that the UAV concept must be 'firmed up' quickly to meet DND's RPAS procurement project timelines (with IOC for drones no later than 2025). However, demanded equipment changes also dictated a rapid redesign programme.

With funding and production agreements in place, the former-Eurodrone project was rebranded 'CanDrone' (which prompted some unfortunate jibes about Defence Minister Anita Anand's speech-making style). To meet Canadian specs, Airbus Defence Canada (with no design staff of its own) turned to its European colleagues to perform a minor redesign. The obvious changes were to sensors and powerplants. For the latter, the arrangement reverted to the original twin tractor propellers. The Eurodrone's Avio Aero Catalyst turboprops [2] were replaced by Canadian-made P&WC PT6A-60A engines driving Hartzell 'sickle-blade' propellers.

Sensor installation include IAI Elta EL/M-2022 surface search radar, a retractable L3 Wescam MX-15HD electro-optical turret, and a telescoping CAE magnetic anomaly detector. All are integrated via an ST Airborne Systems MSS 7020 mission system (akin to the MSS 7000 of NASP's manned Dash 8 aircraft). [3] Actual systems integration was the responsibility of MacDonald Dettwiler. The CanDrone airframes would be produced at Airbus Helicopter Canada's facility in Fort Erie, Ontario (with contributions from neighbouring Fleet Canada Inc.). The first deliveries were to be to the RCAF as Airbus CU-190A Arered RPAS. [4]

As it turned out, waivering preferences at NDHQ delayed CU-190 deliveries long enough that the first three airframes (CU-190Ns) went to an expanding NASP - the National Aerial Surveillance Program. These airframes had a slightly different sensor suite. The Wescam MX-15HD was retained but the Israeli surface search radar was replace by a Leonardo Osprey set similar to those in NASP manned surveillance aircraft. The CU-190Ns also omitted the CU-190As' MAD antenna - the telescoping 'stinger' being replaced by a short, fixed tube.

[1] Continuing financial support from Paris for Eurodrone came into doubt when the French Safran Ardiden 3TP engine was dropped from consideration. With national funding no longer secure, Dassault Aviation also withdrew from the Eurodrone project.

[2] Avio Aero is General Electric's Italian subsidiary. Catalyst was developed with GE Aviation Turboprop (Walter, as was).

[3] The EL/M-2022 and MX-15HD fit was the same as on the RCAF's manned CC-295 Kingfisher FWSAR aircraft.

[4] Arered means 'an eye' in Inuktitut.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 01:19:58 PM »
The drones are cool! :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2022, 12:38:56 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline apophenia

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2022, 08:37:54 AM »
Prompted by one of Greg's suggestions ...
-------------------------------

The Boeing Y2B-17B represented a 'big-gun' trial installation in one of 38 built Boeing B-17B bomber airframes. The unofficial name 'Ship Interceptor' reveals the US Army Air Corps intended target. For effective hitting power (and safe 'stand-off' range), the 4-inch Navy Gun M1896 was the originally intended main armament. [1] However, it was concluded that this Coastal Artillery Corps (CAC) piece was too heavy for the B-17B.

The Coastal Artillery Corps had also been assigned a number of ex-Kaiserliche Marine 88 mm anti-torpedo boat guns. [2] However, the Corps had judged these guns unsuitable due to their relatively small calibre. Instead of issuing to CAC units, the '88s' were Cosmolined and placed directly in storage in 1922. Designated 3.5-inch Naval Gun 'SK', the CAC was happy to turn these stored pieces over to the Army Air Corps. One such piece on a new 'cradle' mounted was duly installed in the former bomb bay of a B-17B.

The modified aircraft - redesignated Y2B-17B - was employed in both simulated anti-shipping runs and firing trials. Neither trials was especially successful. US Navy observers aboard the 'target' vessels concluded that the large, 4-engined Y2B-17B could be easily downed by anti-aircraft fire before a second shot could be fired. When shots were finally fired during trials, the modified plexiglass nose cone was immediately shattered (despite steel-plate reinforcements made closest to the muzzle blast tube. The Army Air Corps quickly concluded that high-altitude bombing was a superior method of dispatching ships off America's coasts and the 'big-gun' trials were quietly abandoned.

Fortress Mk.IIC

The British also experimented with 'big-gunned' Boeings. The RAF experience with the Fortress as a bomber had not been encouraging. After taking a number of losses, the bombers were passed on to Coastal Command. One airframe was used to trial a number of improvements and armament options. To improve defensive firepower, the navigators cabin was relocated aft and a 4-gunned Boulton Paul 'A' dorsal turret installed. In the 'big-gun' experiment, the forward portion of the former navigators position became the perch for a gun loader.

The weapon installed was an obsolete QF 18-pounder intended to fire HE shells at surfaced U-Boats. The bomber's nose position was capped off and a battery of eight .303-inch Brownings installed to 'sweep' conning towers free of flak gunners. Firing trials were encouraging enough to send AN533 on an operational trial, hunting for U-Boats over the Bay of Biscay. Alas, AN533 never returned from its first mission. It may have encountered a prowling Ju 88C fighter or an attacked U-Boat's flak crew may have scored a lucky hit. We will never know.

One outcome of the 'big-gun' trials was the conclusion that size mattered. The new preference was for faster-firing guns of somewhat smaller calibre. That led to the 'Bofors Boston, but that is another story ...

[1] The Coastal Artillery Corps' 4-inch Navy gun M1896 were former US Navy 4"/40 Mark 3 guns - a  102 mm piece.

[2] According to some sources, the CAC received 16 of these guns taken from the former German battleship SMS Ostfriesland and SMS Frankfurt light cruiser prior to there sinking as trial bombing targets in July 1921. Other sources say that twenty '88s' were received (including some removed from ex-KM fast patrol craft. The former German designation for these guns was 8.8 cm SK L/45.

BTW, the Y2B-17B was based on a B-17B profile by Jean-Marie Guillou. The Fortress Mk.II profile was found online but I'm not sure who the original artist was ...

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2022, 01:00:55 AM »
Looking good as usual mate! :smiley:

Folks - this is what happens when one suggests an anti-shipping/submarine version of the B-17 but fitted with a big gun ala the P.108A Artigliere...