Modelling > Tips, Tools & Techniques

Silicone Mould Boxes

<< < (2/4) > >>

Kerick:
What if you lined the Lego boxes with plastic wrap?

kitnut617:

--- Quote from: kerick on May 21, 2020, 11:19:29 AM ---What if you lined the Lego boxes with plastic wrap?

--- End quote ---

After finding out the hard way, I started by wrapping electrical tape around the boxes. But the problem was the fluid silicone still got into the bricks and the electrical tape was wasted afterwards. I wanted to stop the silicone flowing through the bricks altogether and using the clay did solve the problem. Just messy that's all. The Teflon Tape just eliminates all the mess and saves time in the process. The Teflon Tape is also cheaper than the electrical tape.

tankmodeler:
Been using lego for mould boxes for years, but I lose an infinitesimal amount of rubber into the cracks. It makes the exterior a bit tatty looking, but I just pull off the little flaps of rubber and all is good.

Do you actually lose that much rupper intot eh craks to be an issue or is it more of an appearance thing?

kitnut617:
I wouldn't say it a huge amount, but the silicone isn't cheap so I use the absolute minimum I can get away with. Any amount saved helps but mostly it's for the clean up of the bricks afterwards, and that takes time ---- But the Teflon Tape has eliminated the problem.

Frank3k:
It also depends on the mold material - Smooth-on ooMoo barely gets half way into the Lego brick. There was one fairly thin silicone (Alumilite or similar) that managed to seep all the way out - not enough to ruin the mold, but enough to make demolding and cleanup very annoying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version