Modelling > Other

Redemption – Military planes you were wrong about in hindsight!

<< < (2/12) > >>

M.A.D:

--- Quote from: Volkodav on January 06, 2019, 07:40:07 PM ---Airbus Helicopters Tiger  ;)

Agree on the EE Lightning and Crusader.

F-4 Phantom.

Hawker Hunter.

Supermarine Spitfire.

--- End quote ---

Thank's for your participation Volkodav
Interesting re the Airbus Helicopters Tiger
I had high hopes and expectations for it when it entered Australian Army Service (eventually when it did) 😩

M.A.D

M.A.D:

--- Quote from: dy031101 on January 24, 2019, 04:31:55 AM ---MiG-23 - it sounds to me like the only factor against it is money- more expensive than MiG-21, sold to clients who couldn't afford much training, etc.

--- End quote ---

I hear you in terms of maintenance and running costs dy031101, I guess the MiG-23 was like the F-4 Phantom II, that in truth, it was beyond many a Western air forces capabilities to maintain, let alone operate - and hence the US program to develop a modern, but more cost-effective, less advanced high performance fighter-bomber, which was won by Northrop F-5A/B Freedom Fighter.
I'd also make the analogy, if I can, that just like the Phantom II, the MiG-23 was more tailored for the interceptor role, as opposed to the fighter role, and hence many a air force knew and appriciated that they'd get more practicality out of the smaller and simpler MiG-21?

I always liked and appreciated the intelligence of developing the MiG-27 from the MiG-23....that thumping GSh-6-30 rotary
 :P

M.A.D

Robomog:
For a long time I used to deride the P-40 Kittyhawk as sub-standard, but on reflection it was a tough little aircraft that had a similar performance to the Hawker Hurricane and was often in similar combat scenarios that showed it in a bad light when in fact it was doing very well considering what it was up against.

There may be others but this is the one that springs to mind immediately.

Mog
>^-.-^<

M.A.D:
Thank's for your input Mog, I get where you are coming from regarding the P-40 - not as prestegous or as nibble as the Spitfire, Bf109 or Zero for that matter, but as solid as a brick, which took a hell of a lot of battle damage.......Always thought it was somewhat sad that more refined variants never made it into operational service, don't you think?

M.A.D

GTX_Admin:
Re the P-40, it would be interesting to see where it might have ended up had the British Purchasing Commission stuck to their request that North American Aviation build Curtiss P-40 fighters under license for the RAF instead of accepting what went onto become the P-51.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version