Current and Finished Projects > Other

What-If Weapons - Air

(1/6) > >>

Jeffry Fontaine:
I had some excess nose parts from a couple of the 1/48th scale Revell Bf-110 kits and kept wondering what I could do with them and before I forget, thank you to Ron Fulce (sotoolslinger) for sending me that Bf-110 kit which got me to looking for another one just to pull this off. 

I finally found my Muse this morning and went about turning the nose pieces into a pair of gun pods.  The nose on the standard Bf-110 has a pair of machine gun barrels mounted at the top and a pair 20mm cannon blast ports on the bottom.  The night fighter version does away with the two machine guns so the common denominator between them is the 20mm cannons blast ports which are large enough to pass for a rocket launcher tube if you let your imagination get away from you. 

Mating the two nose pieces together resulted in an odd looking shape that has a rather pronounced hump in the center.  I did some serious sanding to get rid of most of the raised surface features on the pods and the end result as seen in the attached images taken with the camera feature on my Droid-X will give you an idea of what they look like.  Not sure if these will qualify as a model but hey, I have picked up plastic, used some glue and sanded the bejeesus out of the things and I am pleased with how they turned out. 

As to scale of these gun-n-rocket pods?  48th works for me but they could also be used on a 1/32nd or 1/35th scale helicopter if you can figure out how to hang them to point in the right direction
:)

***the thumbnail images look better than the full size image ;)

***Image number four was taken with my Nikon Digital SLR on a short tripod. 

GTX_Admin:
Different.  Now put it under the centre-section of a zwilling something and you are on a role!

Brian da Basher:
That's some great thinking there, Mr Fontaine!

Those cool pods look like they could actually be little armed space ships. I could totally see them hanging off the stub wings of a Cobra.

It really makes my day to see you building, JJ!

Brian da Basher

Jeffry Fontaine:
Every once in a while you have to glue something together instead of just checking to see if it will fit or work on a project ;)

Sticking a couple of nose parts together is easy enough.  With that huge supply of P-61 Black Widow parts just acquired from Terry Dean there are enough radomes (P-61A and P-61B) to create at least a good "Baker's half-dozen" (~7X) pod shapes based on the things.  Did that once before several (25 years) ago just to see what it would look like and it turns a pair of P-61 radomes into a very interesting yet portly looking pod of some kind.  Would be ideal for a countermeasures pod under a WW2 or Korean War era aircraft or maybe a wingtip pod serving the same purpose. 

sotoolslinger:
Dang :o Them are so freakin cool I kinda want them back ;) ;D :-* Good job bubba :icon_meditation: Nice to see you doing PSR C:-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version