Current and Finished Projects > Aero-space

Avia S-90 Hurikan

<< < (2/4) > >>

upnorth:

--- Quote from: Tophe on January 06, 2012, 01:55:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: upnorth on January 05, 2012, 06:13:05 PM ---I give you the uniquely Czechoslovak development of the Hawker Hurricane: the Avia S-90 Hurikan.....

--- End quote ---
Wonderful model! :)
The name of the photographs ("Bubblecane") describes the best feature there: a Hurricane with bubble canopy...
Concerning the Czech spelling of Hurricane, I wonder if this could be rather Huriken, no? (my English speaking is not fluent enough to be sure, but the Larousse English/French dictionary with its phonetic signs seems to confirm)...

--- End quote ---

The aircraft went through a few different names while the project was in the works; Bubblecane and Hurriceptor to name a couple, before I settled on a more proper sounding designation and name.

The Czech spelling of hurricane is a bit of an ambiguous thing it seems. When I put "hurricane" in to one of the more reputable Czech/English online translators, three different Czech spellings came up with apparently no difference in meaning between them:

hurikán
uragán
orkán

I chose hurikán as it was closer to the English word and having clarity in communications with English speaking allies in wartime would likely influence how the Czechoslovaks would have refered to the machine in both spoken and text language. By contrast, I often see the Czech news media use orkán when reporting about the actual weather phenomenon.

I'll have to ask one of my Czech colleagues today if there's any important difference in meaning between the three spellings.

As for pronunciation; Czech always has the word stress on the first sylable and all three variations of the word have the last vowel sound made long. As such, pronunciation would be rather like this:

HU-ri-kaan

Tophe:
Thanks for this very serious answer, proving this is a very serious model! :)

Logan Hartke:

--- Quote from: upnorth on January 06, 2012, 02:41:42 PM ---As for pronunciation; Czech always has the word stress on the first sylable and all three variations of the word have the last vowel sound made long. As such, pronunciation would be rather like this:

HU-ri-kaan

--- End quote ---

Bill Shatner would pronounce it like this:

hu-ri-KHAAAANNN!!!

Cheers,

Logan

upnorth:
 ;D

Daryl J.:
Lovely.

Lovely enough, in fact, I'd like to copy it for myself some day.

Daryl J.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version