Current and Finished Projects > Aero-space

Something Horrible Happened at DeHavilland's

(1/6) > >>

Brian da Basher:
I just love Airfix kits. Ok so they're mostly kind of simple and can take a little work. And maybe they don't compare or scale perfectly to the blueprints. I'm fine with that. I find that not only is building an Airfix kit like spending time with a boyhood chum but that the simplicity of these models makes them ripe for whiffing.

Recently, I picked up an Airfix D.H. Mosquito for $10.

I also picked up an Airfix Spitfire for $1 and the plan was to graft the Spitfire engine on to the nose of the Mosquito. Well, my idea had to be shelved when I noticed how huge the Mosquito props and spinners are. My memory for detail can fade with time. I had to come up with something else.

I remembered reading about how Mosquitos were used as fast, express transports during W.W. II flying diplomats into Sweden and ball bearings out. I had an idea and some decals that'd be perfect...

This concept would entail (hahaha) making a new fin and rudder from card stock to work with the decals.

I found some nice un-cowled radial engines and props (from a Ford Trimotor & P-26) that were a good fit and before I knew it, I was ready for paint & decals.

More to follow...

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher:
In the spring of 1931, a Boeing Model 221B from the Long & Way Express Co. made an emergency landing at DeHavilland's test field in Norwich. The DeHavilland staff were thrilled to get such a close-up view of the latest state-of-the-art in civil aviation.

After huddling with the test pilots, the DeHavilland engineers realized adding two more engines on the Boeing monoplane might give it the power and speed necessary for the design to meet its full potential.

The British Overseas Airline Corporation (BOAC), a new entity formed from the merger of Imperial Airlines, British South American Airlines and Fred's Fortnightly Flights (a charter-tour service out of the Firth of Fourth), was anxious to make a splash and ordered the DeHavilland tri-motor straight off the drawing board.

Boasting a top speed of over 230 mph and able to carry 3 passengers and cargo over 1,000 mile range, the new aircraft was a hit.

More to follow...

Brian da Basher

Empty Handed:
That is decidedly neat looking!  :)

Jeffry Fontaine:
Wicked!  From what you described in our telephone conversation over the weekend I had a rough idea of what to expect but seeing it finished with the windows and door added certainly makes it unique.  Hopefully Msr. De Havilland will approve of this variation on his wooden wonder theme. 

Brian da Basher:
The new aircraft was the star of the Farnborough Airshow and was quickly dubbed the "Trike" due to its tri-motor configuration.

BOAC wasted no time and put the Trike in service for fast, executive transport and express cargo duties where speed was critical.

The Trike was seen often in British skies even after it was passed from regular service and used for route-timing. Today little remains of the once revolutionary aircraft except this desktop model.

However, the design was to be re-worked during W.W. II and eventually became the famous Mosquito.

Brian da Basher

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version