Author Topic: Lockheed P-380  (Read 1131 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Lockheed P-380
« on: March 12, 2023, 09:15:00 AM »
1 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

When Lockheed was handed the contract to develop a jet aircraft in 1943, they were given 180 days in which to do it. They accomplished it in 143, when the first prototype of the P-80, Lulubelle, was certified as ready for flight.

Their speed was somewhat undone when the first engine decided to suck the intake ducts and various attachments into the engine during a full power run-up by Guy Bristow, from de Havilland. It was damaged beyond quick repair, and they had to wait until a new engine arrived from Britain. Two months later, on day 203 of the contract, Lulubelle flew, with test pilot Milo Burcham at the controls.

2 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

But even before it took off, legendary engineer Clarence 'Kelly' Johnson was already working on a revised wing planform, with more rounded tips and significant changes to the chord at the root. In order to fly the new wing before installing it on another prototype P-80, it was tested on a company P-38 Lightning, given the code name P-380, and the identification numer of 77, one before Lulubelle's 78. It was left in bare metal, both to save time and to avoid affecting even the slightest deviation of the airflow. Tests proved successful, and the new design was accepted as the standard going forward. It also tested the revised placement of the pitot tube, under the nose instead of the wing.

3 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

4 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

5 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

The Kit

The major part of this bash is the Hobby Boss 1/72nd P-38L-5-LO, with the wings from the venerable Airfix F-80C. This simple (lie) conversion was done by sawing off the P-38 wing, separating the F-80 wing from the centre section, and easily (more lies) mating them to the P-38 booms. This is the first time I've decided to stick with the foil covering technique, other attempts were not good. This time it went much better (would you STOP lying?), and here it is for all to see. Paints were Tamiya X-7 over XF-7 for the red, Tamiya white primer, Revell Aqua for black parts, and Model Master Olive drab for the anti-glare panel.

The Hobby Boss P-38 is an interesting kit. The majority of it exists as one piece. The overall fit of the components is excellent, detail is adequate, and it should be easy for younger and/or less experienced modelers. There are, however, some intricate fiddly bits that could cause frustration, and, in my opinion, the instructions themselves leave a lot to be desired. A larger set would make for easier construction. Another problem is nose weight. I've seen some P-38 builds with weights added to the engine cowlings, but despite stacking in as many split-shot weights as I could it still rotated for take-off. Of course, this was after the nose had been glued on. Careful prying released it, more weight was crammed in there, and the space ahead of the cockpit, and it finally leveled out.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 02:21:31 AM by The Rat »
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Lockheed P-380
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 12:42:33 PM »
Little known piece of Lockheed history.  Looking so fine  :smiley:

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 05:02:09 PM »
P380? Here I thought Lockheed switched to making firearms!
Look coool!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 01:42:42 AM »
The new wings are not obvious at first glance. The plane looks great in red, metal and white!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 05:11:24 AM »
Very nice!  As Frank stated, really hard to see the changes unless you know what to look for. 

By the way Dave, your html links embedded in the images do not work.  I was hoping to see a larger image to get a better look at the small details. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline aerospacer

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 01:08:49 PM »
Ok, so the intro reads: "When Lockheed was handed the contract to develop a jet aircraft in 1943, they were given 180 days in which to do it." All I see is a propeller driven design - what gives?
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 03:58:06 PM »
Really like that colour scheme

Offline The Rat

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 04:36:13 AM »
Ok, so the intro reads: "When Lockheed was handed the contract to develop a jet aircraft in 1943, they were given 180 days in which to do it." All I see is a propeller driven design - what gives?

The first two paragraphs refer to the development of the prototype P-80, named "Lulubelle," and are 100% factual. The rest is the fantasy, in which the future production P-80 wing was test-flown on a P-38.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 02:20:39 AM by The Rat »
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline The Rat

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 04:38:37 AM »
Very nice!  As Frank stated, really hard to see the changes unless you know what to look for. 

By the way Dave, your html links embedded in the images do not work.  I was hoping to see a larger image to get a better look at the small details.

Thanks! Don't know about the links, I just copied what Flickr gave me and pasted them. But if it's one of my builds, the last thing you want to see are small details!  ;D