Author Topic: Scratch building a M108 Howitzer barrel from a WW2 M4A3 Sherman  (Read 2711 times)

Offline ChalkLine

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Scratch building a M108 Howitzer barrel from a WW2 M4A3 Sherman
« on: February 08, 2021, 12:40:02 PM »
Hi!

I'm looking to make the howitzer barrel off the M108 SPG (M103 gun) but the only barrel I could source was the M2A1 barrel off the old M4A3 Sherman.

Now, it's actually the same gun (sorta). I'm prepared to live with the different profile but I'm kind of stumped as to how to make the muzzle brake and the bore evacuator.

Here's an image of the part and the weapon.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline ChalkLine

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: Scratch building a M108 Howitzer barrel from a WW2 M4A3 Sherman
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 08:31:19 PM »
Yep, but as I'm doing a speculative vehicle I only need the barrel.

It's speculative Spanish M41 Walker Bulldog with one of their old M108's guns (it'd fit, I checked).

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 09:25:11 PM »
Ah! Gotcha! :smiley:

Styrene tube of the appropriate diameter & Aves Apoxy Sculpt might do the trick for the evacuator & brake.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 04:32:38 AM »

I'd build it up using concentric plastic tubing until the desired outside diameter is reached and
then file/sand to shape.

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014