Modelling > Aero-space

McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle Ideas and Inspiration

<< < (2/75) > >>

elmayerle:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on February 12, 2012, 02:18:29 PM ---One concept I am toying with is the idea of an F-15 fitted with a probe & drogue air-to-air refuelling arrangement.  Either for the proposed F-15N or as an option for export versions.

--- End quote ---
I've been doing a bit of doodling on that for a navalized F-15 (I'm calling it a F-15M since someone took the F-15N designation on another board for a VG navalized F-15) and it looks like I could handily replace the flying boom receptacle with a probe & drogue set-up that would use much the same real estate.  Contra-wise, I've found enough now to reverse that for a F-14 for USAF use.

kitnut617:

--- Quote from: elmayerle on February 13, 2012, 05:19:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on February 12, 2012, 02:18:29 PM ---One concept I am toying with is the idea of an F-15 fitted with a probe & drogue air-to-air refuelling arrangement.  Either for the proposed F-15N or as an option for export versions.

--- End quote ---
I've been doing a bit of doodling on that for a navalized F-15 (I'm calling it a F-15M since someone took the F-15N designation on another board for a VG navalized F-15) and it looks like I could handily replace the flying boom receptacle with a probe & drogue set-up that would use much the same real estate.  Contra-wise, I've found enough now to reverse that for a F-14 for USAF use.

--- End quote ---

I've been contemplating the very same set-up for my AV-19 build Evan,  seeing as the Marines favour that type of refueling system.  I had wondered if the probe would be too far back though, or is there something that would extend the probe far enough forward to be seen easily from the cockpit.

elmayerle:
I don't think you can extend it forward enough and have it fit the available "real estate".  My F-15M was going to be a two-seater and the GIB could help with watching the probe and drogue.  In your case, would the probe be that much farther aft than it is on the current Harrier?

elmayerle:

--- Quote from: dy031101 on February 12, 2012, 01:24:58 PM ---The discussion with production F-17 makes me wonder about one thing- did GE compete for the engine to be used by the F-15?  If they did, what engine did they enter the competition with?

--- End quote ---

I believe the naval version of the GE engine in the original competition was the F400 but I'm not totally certain (it *has* been some 40 years after all).  I know P&W competed in the B-1 competition with an engine with the internal designation JTF20 and the F100/F401 family was the JTF22 but I don't know the GE designations any closer.

kitnut617:

--- Quote from: elmayerle on February 13, 2012, 05:45:04 AM ---I don't think you can extend it forward enough and have it fit the available "real estate".  My F-15M was going to be a two-seater and the GIB could help with watching the probe and drogue.  In your case, would the probe be that much farther aft than it is on the current Harrier?

--- End quote ---

Considering that my AV-19 is heavily influenced by the F-15, I had done a lot of viewing of F-15 pic's, the seat position in the AV-19 is a bit closer to the wing root fairing of an F-15, but then I moved the wing root back a bit on the AV-19 so looks about the same distance to where the recepticule is.  I think though we could have some sort of extender working in the probe mechanism but I was really wondering just how much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version