Modelling > Engineering Dept.

F-4 air intakes

(1/3) > >>

Geoff:
Ok this may be a bit of a daft question but -

The UKs F-4K and M had 20% bigger air intakes for the Speys. The splitter plate looks to be the same on both US and UK models.
1, Am I right in thinking this is because of the boundary layer of air from the fuselage in front of the intake?
2, If you changed the nose significantly the splitter plates would change???  I am thinking of a longer radome and different engines, 2 Lyulka Al-21s, but I am unsure about dimensions, if too wide then a reverse engineered J-79. Yes I know this has been done before I am not an original thinker I'm afraid :-[
I have checked the physical dimensions and they are close enough for my purposes. O0

I hope this makes sense.

Kerick:
I don't believe the splitter plate would change as it is meant to control the airflow before it gets to the engine. I think it would have to be a radical change in the nose shape or quantity of air going to the engine to require a change.

Geoff:
Thanks - that's what I needed to know. So my Su-19 will have "normal" F-4 intakes and splitter plates (or something similar) ;D

elmayerle:
In as much as the intakes on the F-4K and F-4M were wider, not taller, there's no reason the splitter plates should change as the airflow in that area stays the same, as does the basic structure.  A quick check shows that the Al-21 matches the diameter of the version of the Spey used in the F-4K/M and you could probably use those intakes without a problem.  A small spacer between the top and bottom of the intakes and the fuselage would allow you to adapt standard F-4 intakes to the higher mass flow requirement.

Geoff:
Thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version