Author Topic: Claymore's AH AFVs: Take 2  (Read 144934 times)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Claymore's AH AFVs: Take 2
« Reply #425 on: August 03, 2023, 03:10:50 AM »
M4A3E8 76mm be nice kitbash mod for M3.
Optionally could go with M46/47/48 90mm.

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #426 on: August 03, 2023, 04:11:03 AM »
Ah the mythical M3 Grant prototype fitted with a 17pdr, which turned out to be a badly restored museum piece with the wrong gun ;D

Strangely enough, that particular vehicle which resides in the Lahore National Army Museum in Pakistan, is odder than you might think.  Having acquired several pics of it from different angles, it turns our to be the hull of an ex British Canal Defence Light vehicle - itself rarer than hens teeth.  The gun is not a 17pdr (photographic perspective does strange things) but is more likely a 76mm - readily available from ex Pakistani use (albeit the mussel brake is clearly a poorly made replica).  Quite why the vehicle sports this gun when with its original CDL turret fitted/replicated, the museum would have a unique and valuable exhibit is intriguing. 

My son in law is from Pakistan and I intent to ask one of his family to visit the Lahore museum (which incidentally is a quality national institution not some second rate chop-shop) to get some more details - hopefully including interior shots that will, hopefully, clarify the gun’s ID and whether or not it is a bodge up or an actual modification.

Either way, I have a model on the slips so adapted (waiting for the extra detail) which I will complete and post in due course with a suitable backstory! 🙂
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 04:13:16 AM by Claymore »
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #427 on: August 03, 2023, 04:11:27 AM »
Ah the mythical M3 Grant prototype fitted with a 17pdr, which turned out to be a badly restored museum piece with the wrong gun ;D

No way, man! Those were real. 

Offline Story

« Reply #428 on: August 03, 2023, 04:14:40 AM »
  Having acquired several pics of it from different angles, it turns our to be the hull of an ex British Canal Defence Light vehicle - itself rarer than hens teeth.  The gun is not a 17pdr (photographic perspective does strange things) but is more likely a 76mm - readily available from ex Pakistani use (albeit the mussel brake is clearly a poorly made replica).  Quite why the vehicle sports this gun when with its original CDL turret fitted/replicated, the museum would have a unique and valuable exhibit is intriguing. 

My son in law is from Pakistan and I intent to ask one of his family to visit the Lahore museum (which incidentally is a quality national institution not some second rate chop-shop) to get some more details - hopefully including interior shots that will, hopefully, clarify the gun’s ID and whether or not it is a bodge up or an actual modification.

Either way, I have a model on the slips so adapted (waiting for the extra detail) which I will complete and post in due course with a suitable backstory! 🙂

You seen this?

Offline Claymore

« Reply #429 on: August 03, 2023, 04:15:29 AM »

Riiigghhhttt… 🙄

Offline Claymore

« Reply #430 on: August 03, 2023, 04:17:36 AM »
You seen this?

Yup, and that truly is just chopped up rubbish! 🙄

Offline Story

« Reply #431 on: August 03, 2023, 04:19:26 AM »

Riiigghhhttt… 🙄

You don't like my artistic creation? My delicate feelings!!!

I paused construction when I melted my donor barrel.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #432 on: August 03, 2023, 04:33:09 AM »
You don't like my artistic creation? My delicate feelings!!!

Sorry mate, please accept my profuse apologies!  ;D ;D ;)

I paused construction when I melted my donor barrel.

Never let a droopy barrel get in the way of creativity!   :o  ;)

Offline Claymore

« Reply #433 on: August 23, 2023, 06:02:30 AM »
Cambodian Wildcat - Another great idea from La Rouge Beret's (a mate from the AlternativeHistory.comsite) excellent 12 Minutes to Midnight TL.

Background:

Following the brutal but ultimately failed North Vietnamese Army (NVA) excursions into Cambodia as described in La Rouge Beret’s excellent 12 Minutes to Midnight storyline, the Cambodian Army found itself worryingly deficient in armoured assets. Whilst the procurement of the 120mm armed King Tigers (see my Completed AH AFV Models thread, page 3, post #54 for details) went some way to redressing the situation there simply wasn’t going to be enough of them to go around and, in particular, to equip the Strategic Reserve ‘Naga’ Division. Ironically, however, the Cambodians also found themselves the proud owners of several ‘liberated’ NVA T-72 which were looking for a new home.

The Cambodian Army were only too well aware of the T-72’s credentials – both positive and negative – and whilst relatively simple to maintain and operate it would not be a logistical or tactically simple matter to press them into service without a few fundamental alterations. Essentially, the Cambodians wanted increased turret protection and armament, ammunition, sighting and fire control systems compatible with their existing King Tigers.

As it turned out, the West German defence companies of Krauss-Maffei and Wegmann had already been working together (the first time they had officially joined as Krauss-Maffei Wegmann GmbH & Co. KG (KMW)) on a customisable T-72 turret augmentation package as part of their thriving export department and the ever-increasing demands of the various chapters of the International Pimp-my-T-72 owner’s club. The upgrade was exactly what the Cambodians were after and the Wildcat (Satvaprei) was born.

Armament: The Wildcat is armed with the fully-stabilized Royal Ordinance L11A5 120 mm rifled gun. The L11A5 is a significantly improved version of the Chieftain's gun and is extremely accurate. Like earlier British 120 mm guns, it is insulated by a thermal sleeve. It is fitted with a muzzle reference system and fume extractor, and is controlled by an all-electric control and stabilization system. The Wildcat is equipped with an automatic loading system, eliminating the need for a dedicated crewmember, decreasing the size and weight of the tank. In addition to the 22 auto-loaded rounds, the Wildcat carries 17 rounds conventionally in the hull, which can be loaded into the emptied autoloader trays or directly into the gun. There is also a L94A1 EX-34 7.62 mm chain gun mounted coaxially with the main gun, and a 12.7mm M2 heavy machine gun mounted on the turret roof.

Sights & Fire Control: The Wildcat’s digital fire control computer is from Computing Devices Co of Canada and has capacity for additional systems, such as a Battlefield Information Control System. The Thermal Observation and Gunnery Sight, from Thales, provides night vision and is displayed on both the gunner's and commander's sights and monitors. The gunner has a stabilised primary sight using a laser rangefinder with a range of 200 m to 10 km while the commander also has a panoramic gyro-stabilised sight with laser rangefinder. The driver's position is equipped with a Thales Optronics image-intensifying Passive Driving Periscope (PDP) for night driving.

Protection: The turret is enhanced with Chobham composite armour - a combination of steel and ceramics which provides a much higher level of protection, comparing to any monolithic steel armour. Additional explosive reactive armour (ERA) can be fitted to the hull and turret as required. The tank is fitted with automatic fire suppression and NBC protection systems and on each side of the turret are five L8 smoke grenade dischargers. The Wildcat can also create smoke by injecting diesel fuel into the exhaust manifold.

The model depicts the Cambodian Wildcat as it was first released to the Media at KMW’s headquarters in Munich in 1988 and is made from bits from a fairly dreadful ESCI T-72 kit, an equally dreadful Trumpeter Type 85-II AP kit, a Tamiya Challenger I, some odds and sods and, of course, the ubiquitous plastic card.

(Note: It is interesting to note that in 1989, the Norinco Group of the People’s Republic of China stated that they had developed a new MBT - the Type 85-II. Given that the turret of the Type 85-II was almost an exact copy of the KMW offering (albeit mounting a 105mm gun) it can only be assumed that, true to form, the Chinese had been participating in some gratuitous industrial espionage.)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:31:23 PM by Claymore »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #434 on: August 23, 2023, 06:34:36 AM »
Nice one. :smiley:

These kind of builds are a perfect solution for a less than average kit base. At least they end up possibly on a shelf and not the never ending unboxing and reboxing around swap and Sells.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #435 on: August 23, 2023, 03:32:32 PM »
Yup, a very simple conversion of two kits that would otherwise have ended up in the bin.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #436 on: August 23, 2023, 04:26:05 PM »
Very different but very cool! :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #437 on: August 24, 2023, 02:18:28 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #438 on: August 31, 2023, 08:28:00 PM »
Going to base my next build project on this obscure (and not very good quality) photo that purports to show an IS-3 turret mounted on an M48 hull. Can't remember where I picked it up but the article it was attached to said that the vehicle was Egyptian.

This project will also involve repurposing one of my earlier whiffs - I have already done an improved version (M60A4 Avenger) as a commission build (see page#6 of this thread) and have been slowly robbing bits and pieced from this one - so time to be reincarnated. The turret is a left over from another build I did (see paget#10).

Details and pics of the build to follow in due course...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:35:40 PM by Claymore »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #439 on: August 31, 2023, 09:00:48 PM »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Mig Eater

• Munch, Munch, Munch
    • Mig Eater Studio
« Reply #440 on: August 31, 2023, 09:06:27 PM »
The Is-3/M48 looks very sus, the colour difference between the hull & turret, the inconstant shadows, it looks like a Photoshoped job IMO. The idea is cool & worthy of a kitbash tho :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 09:12:49 PM by Mig Eater »

Offline Claymore

« Reply #441 on: August 31, 2023, 09:37:33 PM »
The Is-3/M48 looks very sus, the colour difference between the hull & turret, the inconstant shadows, it looks like a Photoshoped job IMO. The idea is cool & worthy of a kitbash tho :P

;D ;D ;D I should have known that I wouldn't be able to pull the wool over your eyes!!  ;D ;D ;D

The original pic is indeed entirely made up by none other than yours truly - although I actually used nothing more than MS Paint and a couple of filters from Microsoft photo editor!  Reducing it in size was the key to hiding many of the more obvious mis-matches - my first attempt at anything like this.  Anyhoo, the idea of the composite pic was for a bit of a laugh and to help build up the backstory in due course but - busted!  ;)

Original donor pics:

The project build itself will, nevertheless, continue...  ;)

Offline Claymore

« Reply #442 on: August 31, 2023, 09:41:28 PM »
M48/IS-3 Hybrid Update:

I have been doing a little preliminary work on my IS-3 turret to get it back into shape after a few years festering in one of my many 'spares' boxes. The complete DShK mount (ring and cradle) had long since departed this mortal realm as had about half of the grab handles and those that were left were looking distinctly sorry for themselves.

So, I have built a new DShK mount from scratch - the actual DShK itself will not be fitted to the final model as all I want is the cradle.  ???

I have also fabricated new grab handles from some paper clips I had lying around - lots of holes drilled then the fun and games of bending the wire to fit the required length and, of course, no two were the same!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:42:23 PM by Claymore »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #443 on: September 02, 2023, 06:34:12 AM »
Interesting combo.

Something your might find in  Angola, Chad or something like that.

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #444 on: September 03, 2023, 01:52:14 AM »
I could believe the idea of it being an Egyptian development.  Look at the Ramses II tank after all - basically a T-54 with a lot of M-60 tech
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Mig Eater

• Munch, Munch, Munch
    • Mig Eater Studio
« Reply #445 on: September 03, 2023, 06:35:00 PM »
AFAIK the only M48 tanks that Egypt had were captured from Israel? 

Offline Claymore

« Reply #446 on: September 03, 2023, 07:04:02 PM »
AFAIK the only M48 tanks that Egypt had were captured from Israel?

Absolutely got it in one! 👍👍👏👏👏

Offline Mig Eater

• Munch, Munch, Munch
    • Mig Eater Studio
« Reply #447 on: September 03, 2023, 07:21:43 PM »
Israel used captured Egyptian T-55 tanks to make the Tiran. So this is Egypt doing the same thing but with Israeli M48 tanks :P

Offline Claymore

« Reply #448 on: September 03, 2023, 09:47:51 PM »
Israel used captured Egyptian T-55 tanks to make the Tiran. So this is Egypt doing the same thing but with Israeli M48 tanks :P

Something along those lines.  :smiley:

Offline Claymore

« Reply #449 on: September 03, 2023, 09:50:01 PM »
M48/IS-3 Hybrid Update:

A little bit more activity with the acetylene torch...

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:42:56 PM by Claymore »