Author Topic: Claymore's AH AFVs: Take 2  (Read 144276 times)

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
Re: Claymore's AH AFVs: Take 2
« Reply #400 on: July 31, 2023, 11:52:53 PM »
Zhukov's Babies - completed:

Another one of my projects started while I was in the US (2019-2022) and finally completed.  Although it does appear elsewhere, it has been some time and so I will re-post the full details.  This has been fun!

Backstory:

History records that the T-34 was the most heavily produced tank of WW2 with some 84,070 coming off the Soviet production lines between 1941 and 1945. However, with 44,900 lost during the war, the T-34 also suffered the most tank losses ever. With the transition in production from the T-34/76 to the T-34/85 in Jan 44 all possible efforts were made to churn out the new design as quickly as possible in order to replace all the earlier models in the Soviet's combat formations. The fate of the earlier T-34/76 models was, ultimately, destruction on the battlefield or recovery, disassembly and recycling in the foundries. However, a few survivors, still in working order, were converted to other roles such as artillery tractors, recovery vehicles, etc; although most of these conversions were done in field workshops and, consequently, individual variations were commonplace.

One of the stranger variants to come out of the 1st Ukrainian Front was an attempt to produce a more effective reconnaissance/scout tank that could successfully operate on the mobile battlefield – both the T-60 and T-70 had their limitations. Based on a cut-down T-34 hull (0.945m removed forward of the engine compartment firewall), with the turret removed and only 4 roadwheels per side, the T-34 Бес (Imp) – as it was known to its crews – was fast, extremely manoeuvrable and, for a scout, was very well armoured. Indeed, such was the success of the few Imps produced that eventually their existence came to the attention of no less than Georgy Zhukov. Zhukov fully appreciate the importance of good battlefield intelligence and approved mightily of 1st Ukrainian Front’s initiative, and he wanted more of these novel little T-34s. Unfortunately, there was just no way that the field workshops, even at Front-level, could produce more than a handful of Imps let alone match Zhukov’s demands. Their availability was further frustrated by the inherent structural fragility of a tank that had basically been chopped in two and welded back together again – the sad fact was that the T-34 Imps were falling apart just as fast as new ones were being cobbled together.

Realising that greater availability and quality control would inevitably mean factory-level production, Zhukov applied what influence he could. On a visit to the Krasnoye Sormovo Factory No 112 in Nizhny Novgorod in May 1944, he managed to secure a limited production run of what was now termed the T-34-Скоростная разведывательная машина (High Speed Reconnaissance Vehicle) or T-34-CPM for short. In all, only about 100 T-34-CPMs were produced before STAVKA shut down the operation and Zhukov had to acquiesce to their demands for the unabated priority production of T34/85s.

Although not a major T-34 sub-group, the T-34-CPM equipped Special Reconnaissance Units nevertheless served Zhukov well - following him from command to command as his own personal scouting formation. Given the diminutive size of the vehicle and Zhukov’s personal patronage, it was not long before the T-34-CPMs became known as Zhukov’s Babies.

The model depicts a vehicle of the 67th Battalion of the 103rd Separate Guards Reconnaissance Regiment of the Soviet 1st Belorussian Front circa March 1945. The vehicle carries the motto 'ХАБАРОВСКИ' (Khaborovski) after the Khabarovski Krai on the Pacific coast of the Eastern USSR - perhaps in acknowledgement of those who donated towards the vehicle's production. The model is made from a Tamiya T-34/76 “ChTZ” version, a MiniArt DShK weapon mount, some odds and sods and the inevitable plastic card.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:22:25 PM by Claymore »
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #401 on: August 01, 2023, 12:04:53 AM »
Hmmm, a rare deviation from the typical forward-opening hatches found on most Soviet vehicles. ???

With that length-to-beam ratio she would have been really manoeuvrable! :smiley:

Yet another fantastic build! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

« Reply #402 on: August 01, 2023, 12:12:55 AM »
Many thanks mate!

The voices in my head are telling me the cupola has just been turned 180 degrees…  ;)

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #403 on: August 01, 2023, 01:54:40 AM »
Without turret looks hotroddy in tank terms.   Tackle ruff terrain well.   Weathering is spot on.  :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #404 on: August 01, 2023, 02:22:20 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #405 on: August 01, 2023, 02:56:07 AM »
Without turret looks hotroddy in tank terms.   Tackle ruff terrain well.   Weathering is spot on.  :smiley:

Thanks muchly!

Yup, a bit like my Formula Tank Class 30 Racers on pages 9 & 10 of this thread.  :smiley:

Offline Mig Eater

• Munch, Munch, Munch
    • Mig Eater Studio
« Reply #406 on: August 01, 2023, 03:17:56 AM »
The Landkreuzer P.1000 'Ratte'

Still a work in progress but at 1:35 scale it is a considerable drain on resources.  Nevertheless, here is where I am...  ;)

Did you ever finish this, I imagine it would be quite the imposing sight!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #407 on: August 01, 2023, 03:31:48 AM »
The recon T-34 is a fantastic design and looks great! I can see it in the various Middle East battles (and changing hands more than once)

Offline Claymore

« Reply #408 on: August 01, 2023, 03:57:29 AM »
The Landkreuzer P.1000 'Ratte'

Still a work in progress but at 1:35 scale it is a considerable drain on resources.  Nevertheless, here is where I am...  ;)

Did you ever finish this, I imagine it would be quite the imposing sight!

Oh it is still there on the slips, looking very grumpy and forlorn.  Every one of the backlog projects that gets finished brings the Ratte closer to the front of the queue…  :smiley:

Offline Claymore

« Reply #409 on: August 01, 2023, 04:23:41 AM »
The recon T-34 is a fantastic design and looks great! I can see it in the various Middle East battles (and changing hands more than once)

Many thanks.  Yup, it was a fun project that started out as a bit of a laugh but became more and more plausible as time went on…  :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #410 on: August 01, 2023, 06:21:12 AM »
Really nice work.
Would be a total double take model, being a simple modification that is really a major modification once you realise that a whole roadwheel set is gone.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #411 on: August 01, 2023, 07:13:47 AM »
Thanks my friend, much appreciated.  :smiley:

Offline Claymore

« Reply #412 on: August 01, 2023, 10:47:47 PM »
M9 Gun Motor Carriage (GMC) “Sheridan” - another from the backlog, completed and posted in full.

Backstory:

Nazi Germany’s opening offensives of the Second World War and their successful employment of concentrated armoured forces in fast moving offensives had shocked US military observers. Even to armies which had previously experimented with large-scale mechanized warfare, the effects were remarkable; the collapse of Poland in 1939, followed by the defeat of the French Army and the British Expeditionary Force in France in 1940, gave rise to an impression that massed tank forces were effectively invincible when used against unprepared defenders.

Mobile armour was, however, an expensive investment. Towed anti-tank guns were cheaper and dominated most armies as a default solution for enemy tanks and became organic parts of large units like corps, divisions and regiments. Standard practice was to place these anti-tank guns at the front line, spread out to ensure full coverage. Nevertheless, experience showed that neither infantry, anti-tank guns, or tanks, when used statically could withstand the deep envelopment manoeuvres of armoured "spearheads". While some anti-tank guns or tanks could help defend the area the enemy chose to attack en masse, they could never be enough to prevent the inevitable breakthrough. Moreover, anti-tank guns were vulnerable to infantry and artillery attacks, and even attacks from the tanks they were targeting.

To counter this threat, Germany built on the already existing Sturmgeschütz ("assault gun") range of armoured vehicles. These relatively inexpensive assault guns had no turrets and were under the control of the artillery branch, and were essentially armoured artillery cannons mounted on or in a tank chassis. Originally short barrelled, these vehicles were upgraded with longer, higher velocity cannons, which made them more effective against armour without taking much away from their direct fire infantry support mission. As a result, they were used effectively against Soviet armoured thrusts on the Eastern front. Additionally, Germany also developed the Jagdpanzer ("hunting tank") range of armoured vehicles, very similar in design to assault guns but with the main purpose being the destruction of enemy armour. They could also function as mobile assault guns when required, blurring the line between the two designs.

But by the time the US entered World War II, it had neither the quality nor the quantity of armoured vehicles capable of fighting a modern war, including the ability to deal with massed armoured attacks by an enemy on a narrow front.

In April 1941, a conference focused on the future of antitank operations. The immediate effect was to create an anti-tank battalion in infantry divisions, but this organic anti-tank capacity was not deemed sufficient. The conference gave broad support to the idea of creating mobile anti-tank defensive units which could be deployed to meet an armoured attack.

The first such units were deployed during the Louisiana Manoeuvres of 1941, equipped with towed 37 mm anti-tank guns (the largest gun that could be towed by a jeep) and surplus 75 mm M1897 guns mounted on half-tracks (the M3 GMC), and again in the Carolinas manoeuvres that September. Their employment was judged a success and on 27 September, General George C. Marshall ordered the establishment of a tank destroyer Tactical and Firing Centre at Fort Hood, Texas and the activation of 53 new anti-tank battalions under the command of General Headquarters. The term "tank destroyer" was used from this point on, as it was seen as a more psychologically powerful term. On 3 December, all existing anti-tank battalions were reassigned to General Headquarters and converted to tank destroyer battalions.

In the second half of 1941, the Medium Tank M3 was the US Army’s only effective medium tank and, therefore, it was this hull that was selected for the development of a new mechanised tank destroyer. The initial design, designated 3-inch GMC T24 used the M3 hull with the turret, sponson and hull roof removed and a redundant 3” M1918 anti-aircraft gun installed. Whilst trials proved the concept, the availability of the M1918 guns was an issue as was the open-topped fighting compartment which, given the vehicle’s intended forward fighting position was deemed to be too high a risk to crew survivability. Design adjustments led to the T25 which incorporated the new 3” M7 gun (intended for the cancelled Heavy Tank M6 programme) in a fully enclosed casemate not unlike Germany’s assault guns. In early-1942, the T25 was redesignated M9 GMC and rushed into production at the Baldwin Locomotive Works.

The M9 first saw action with the British Royal Artillery in North Africa during May 1942 with mixed results. There was no questioning the 3” M7 gun’s ability to destroy German panzers from all aspects but, as a non-standard ammunition type for the British Army, logistical issues often led to M9 units running short of ammunition and, consequently, the vehicle’s tactical availability was not always all that it could be – much the same issues were experienced with the 105mm M9 Priest in UK service. As was the convention, US lend-lease armoured vehicles in British service were named after US Generals and so the M9 GMC was called after Union general Philip Sheridan. The name also transferred, unofficially, into US Army usage.

A number of US Army Sheridans were deployed to the North African theatre but by late-1942/early-1943, the M9’s design and tactical limitations were becoming increasingly at odds with the rapidly evolving Tank Destroyer Command’s doctrine. In terms of vehicle design, mobile tank destroyers were to be heavily armed, but with speed given priority over armour protection – something the M9 could just not achieve.

In the end, in much the same way that the Medium M3 was only ever intended as a compromise until the more effective Medium M4 could be produced, it was always anticipated that the M9 would also be replaced by an M4-based tank destroyer. And so, the initial combat debut of the 3” GMC M10 on 23 March 1943 at the Battle of El Guettar in North Africa effectively spelled the end of the Sheridan’s short and none too glorious career as a tank destroyer. From that point on, all remaining Sheridans in US service were relegated to the ignominy of artillery towing tractor duties.

However, that was not the end of the M9 GMC. It is of interest that a number of Sheridans in British service, having initially been the cause of such logistical headaches, remained in active duty until the end of the war in the SE Asian theatre of operations alongside their M3 sisters. These vehicles had their US 3” M7 guns replaced by the QF 17pdr and were redesignated as the 17pdr SP Ajax.

The model depicts 'Lexington', a vehicle of A company, 701st Tank Destroyer Battalion, 1st Armored Division (United States) and is made from the hull of a Tamiya M3 Grant, the tracks from a Takom M3 Grant CDL, the Barrel from a Tamiya M10 and, of course, lots of plastic/styrene card.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:25:50 PM by Claymore »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #413 on: August 01, 2023, 11:51:20 PM »
An M3 based tank destroyer seems like a natural evolution of the design and one I've always wanted to build. Looks great!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #414 on: August 02, 2023, 12:06:37 AM »
Many thanks and it compliments my twin-barrelled M3 Stonewall (see page 5).  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #415 on: August 02, 2023, 12:29:23 AM »
Bit of a shot trap around the gun mantlet, & it suffers from the same high profile as the M3 Medium, but, then, it is a stop-gap TD. ;)

I like it a lot; it totally fits the burgeoning Tank Destroyer Branch ethos & doctrine of the era! :smiley: :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Mig Eater

• Munch, Munch, Munch
    • Mig Eater Studio
« Reply #416 on: August 02, 2023, 12:30:07 AM »
Another great build & a very plausible evolution of the T40/M9 design :smiley:

Offline Claymore

« Reply #417 on: August 02, 2023, 01:01:15 AM »
Thanks gents, much appreciated!  :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #418 on: August 02, 2023, 02:45:12 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #419 on: August 02, 2023, 03:07:00 AM »
Love your M9 Sheridan! It looks exactly the way you'd expect an interim TD based on the M3 to appear (thanks to your tidy plastic-card surgery). Nice!

And your T-34-CPM is too cute! Also a clever bit of armour recycling  :smiley:

Great backstories on both too, BTW  8)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Claymore

« Reply #420 on: August 02, 2023, 05:28:13 AM »
Thanks muchly!  :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #421 on: August 02, 2023, 06:32:48 AM »
Eaking more life out of the M3 Platform... love it  :smiley: :smiley:

It fits in the same sort of mindspace as the Churchill 3" gun carrier, get more Whoomph on the existing wheels.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #422 on: August 02, 2023, 07:10:34 AM »
 Quite so!  ;D

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #423 on: August 03, 2023, 01:34:17 AM »
From the reference file of a parallel build, some bias confirmation

There's so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

- Dire Straits

Offline Mig Eater

• Munch, Munch, Munch
    • Mig Eater Studio
« Reply #424 on: August 03, 2023, 02:45:33 AM »
Ah the mythical M3 Grant prototype fitted with a 17pdr, which turned out to be a badly restored museum piece with the wrong gun ;D