Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 905163 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #1300 on: May 11, 2016, 06:46:12 AM »
It's just scary how right that Viper canopy etc. looks on a Skyhawk

That's some truly inspired genius!

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #1301 on: May 12, 2016, 01:38:50 PM »
Thanks folks!  :D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1302 on: May 14, 2016, 05:15:19 AM »
Reminds me a little of this one:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1303 on: May 23, 2016, 12:00:55 PM »
Okay, that A-4X has to be done! But, meanwhile, you asked about a P-40 using same floats as the Spitfire seaplane:
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=904.msg107940#msg107940

I present the Curtiss AP-40B 'SeaHawk'

Below: A Curtiss AP-40B 'SeaHawk' of the 48th Fighter Group newly arrived at Guadalcanal in mid-October 1942. Deployed to cover the US Army's 164th Infantry Regiment, the AP-40Bs operated from floatplane tenders off the coast. Ironically, Guadalcanal 'SeaHawks' are best remembered for their participation in the Battle for Henderson Field.

The AP-40B was a quick adaptation of Curtiss P-40B airframes by the Edo Aircraft Corporation. The initial designation was PA-1 in a new USAAF 'Pursuit, Amphibian' category. However, before the prototype conversion had flown, the aircraft was redesignated AP-40B as an Amphibian sub-type of the P-40B pursuit.

The Army's first WW2 float-fighter unit had previously been the 48th Bombardment Group (Light). After conversion onto P-40s, the unit relocated to McChord Field in Washington State. Basic float training was undertaken at the nearby American Lake Seaplane Base with advanced training at the Seaplane Base at Naval Air Station Seattle (Sand Point).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:36:03 AM by apophenia »
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #1304 on: May 23, 2016, 12:35:10 PM »
Nice silhouette, very harmonious! :-*
I am not sure this is very efficient in dogfighting, but in dreams this is just perfect.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #1305 on: May 23, 2016, 12:44:19 PM »
Maybe not as pretty as the floaty Spit but very funky! 8)

Like the Spit, a good short-order filler for a perceived need.

As a fan of the P-40, I really like the look of this. :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #1306 on: May 23, 2016, 01:06:36 PM »
Cool, however as to basing, NAS Seattle at Sand Point would be more likely for training as the first Catalina to arrive
at the seaplane base at Whidbey didn't arrive until December 1942, and then it had to land out in the bay as the harbour
was choked with logs.

:icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1307 on: May 23, 2016, 11:43:00 PM »
however as to basing, NAS Seattle at Sand Point would be more likely for training as the first Catalina to arrive
at the seaplane base at Whidbey didn't arrive until December 1942
it depends in which universe you live, in my dreams the date of arrival at Whidbey is 2042... ;)

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #1308 on: May 24, 2016, 12:27:47 AM »
however as to basing, NAS Seattle at Sand Point would be more likely for training as the first Catalina to arrive
at the seaplane base at Whidbey didn't arrive until December 1942
it depends in which universe you live, in my dreams the date of arrival at Whidbey is 2042... ;)

I'll have a drive up (it's about a 90 minute drive north of me) in 26 years and let you know if a Catalina arrives.  ;)
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1309 on: May 24, 2016, 04:54:26 AM »
Love the AP-40B 'SeaHawk' - now do a later model one based on the longer fuselage P-40N / Kittyhawk Mk IV.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1310 on: May 24, 2016, 09:41:52 AM »
Cool, however as to basing, NAS Seattle at Sand Point would be more likely for training as the first Catalina to arrive
at the seaplane base at Whidbey didn't arrive until December 1942, and then it had to land out in the bay as the harbour
was choked with logs.

Changed! Thanks Jon. Good to get the timeline right ... and best to avoid the log sorts and Davis Rafts  ;)

Love the AP-40B 'SeaHawk' - now do a later model one based on the longer fuselage P-40N / Kittyhawk Mk IV.

I was considering an AP-40E for the final phase of the Aleutians campaign ...  :D

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1311 on: May 31, 2016, 11:16:21 AM »
As promised, the Curtiss AP-40E 'SeaHawk' for the Aleutians.

The Curtiss AP-40E used the Hawk 87A airframe (in place of the AP-40B's Hawk 81). Compared with the earlier SeaHawk, the AP-40E adaptation featured a number of major changes.

The Edo floats were essentially the same but the float pylons were shortened (reflecting the higher thrustline of the Allison V-1710-39 powerplant. The revised pylons also incorporated the engine coolant radiators (the AP-40B's undernose radiator 'scoop' having had a tendency to collect sea water on take-off runs). The AP-40E's oil cooler remained under the nose (but was moved back to fair into the wing centre-section leading edge).

Another change was in tail assembly. The AP-40's ventral fin provided the needed side area but could also slow take-off runs should it 'dig in' to choppy seas. Accordingly, the AP-40E abandoned the ventral fin approach in favour of an extended tail. This provided sufficient side
area and employed standard P-40E vertical fin and rudder surfaces.

The AP-40E was considered a success but never fought outside of the Aleutian campaign. Opportunities for aerial victories were rare although there were confirmed kills of two Japanese Mitsubishi A6M2-N Rufe floatfighters over Attu Island. Mostly the AP-40Es were used in the close support role. After the retaking of Kiska Island, the 'E model SeaHawks provided aerial defence of the Aleutians until mid-1944 when they were finally withdrawn from service.

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1312 on: May 31, 2016, 11:25:59 AM »
VERY Beautiful!  :-*

The AP-40E's oil cooler remained under the nose (but was moved back to fair into the wing centre-section leading edge).
Yes, the new nose makes the difference, with enhanced beauty, thanks!

Another change was in tail assembly. The AP-40's ventral fin provided the needed side area but could also slow take-off runs should it 'dig in' to choppy seas. Accordingly, the AP-40E abandoned the ventral fin approach in favour of an extended tail. This provided sufficient side area and employed standard P-40E vertical fin and rudder surfaces.
I noticed this difference at first glance, and your explanation is good, thanks!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #1313 on: May 31, 2016, 11:33:56 AM »
Very nice, extended rear fuselage as on the late P-40F's and the P-40L and P-40M?  I wonder if one of these trialed the vertical stabilizer fillet that appeared on the P-40K?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #1314 on: May 31, 2016, 12:07:54 PM »
Nice one, mate! :)

Sensible conversion but I miss the big chin. :icon_crap:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1315 on: June 01, 2016, 02:15:36 AM »
Love the AP-40E :-*

Any chance of some RAAF ones?

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1316 on: June 01, 2016, 11:01:29 AM »
but I miss the big chin.
So different feelings... (The big chin removal was the very reason of my loving this profile)... :)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1317 on: June 02, 2016, 07:40:52 AM »
Thanks folks!

Any chance of some RAAF ones?

Sorry Greg ... the Curtiss AP-40E never served outside of the Aleutians. The next best thing would by the RAAF's Kittyhawk F.Mk IIIP (P for Pontoon). Based on the P-40N-5-CU Warhawk airframe, the Kittyhawk IIIP was otherwise similar to the earlier AP-40E SeaHawk.

Australian service came about when the RAAF concluded that it would require a float-fighter for use in New Guinea. The USAAF was set to receive a dozen AP-40N-5-ED SeaHawks but was more than happy to relinquished them after the end of the Aleutian campaign. The RAAF Kittyhawk IIIPs deployed to New Guinea with No. 88 Squadron (as part of No. 9 Operational Group). The first 'FloatHawk' missions were air support operations flown towards the end of the Huon Peninsula campaign.

Shown here is the first Kittyhawk IIIP after assembly at Aircraft Erection Depot Townsville. The aircraft was test-flown from the Platypus Channel Eastern Breakwater Pier before being delivered to the RAAF in late Sept 1943.

Old Wombat: Apologies, still no sea-scooper nose ;)

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1318 on: June 02, 2016, 11:20:45 AM »
Beautiful also on the P-40N basis! :-*
Thanks for this aesthetic surgery turning ugly ones into beauties... ;)

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #1319 on: June 02, 2016, 07:30:29 PM »
excellent work!!

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #1320 on: June 02, 2016, 08:07:54 PM »
A lot of interesting works here,
I really like the metal fatique impression and the texture.Nicely done!
Alex

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #1321 on: June 02, 2016, 11:15:34 PM »
Old Wombat: Apologies, still no sea-scooper nose ;)

No need to apologise, I understand the logic of it completely.

I just happen to prefer the aggressive look of the jutting, macho chin of the P-40 rather than the wimpy, hand-wringing clerical look of the chinless AP-40.

;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1322 on: June 04, 2016, 05:01:54 AM »
 :) :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1323 on: June 04, 2016, 05:11:39 AM »
Hmmm...maybe some floatplane P-40s could make it into civilian schemes for the post war revival of the Schneider Trophy (Non Military GB Suggestion)

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1324 on: June 04, 2016, 12:06:14 PM »
maybe some floatplane P-40s could make it into civilian schemes for the post war revival of the Schneider Trophy (Non Military GB Suggestion)
And maybe the winner is here! (of the Scheider Trophy II and/or the Non-Military GB) ;)