Author Topic: English Electric and Martin B-57 Canberra  (Read 56168 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: English Electric and Martin B-57 Canberra
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2013, 11:41:19 AM »
Carlos: I do like that swept tail on your Canberra derivatives  :-*
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2013, 01:14:46 PM »
^^^^
Just skewed original tail 30 degrees

Offline PR19_Kit

• Likes to brag about how long his...wings are.
  • Made it at last!
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2013, 05:56:30 PM »
^^^^
Just skewed original tail 30 degrees

And still made of wood?  :) :D
Regards
Kit

--------------------------
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2013, 04:39:38 PM »
More Canberras. Hehehe many of you will recognize turboprop engines and some will recognize wings too. ;)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2013, 05:51:34 PM »
Inverted Mustang fuselages?

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2013, 08:45:38 PM »
^^^^^ :)

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2013, 11:02:32 AM »
Canberra with the Brit style offset canopy... to allow room for the GAU-8 in the nose?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2014, 04:20:37 AM »
Did any version of the Canberra carry a refuelling probe for AAR?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2014, 11:32:56 AM »
Did any version of the Canberra carry a refuelling probe for AAR?

Several did experimentally but none that I am aware did so on production variants.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2014, 02:49:19 AM »
Hmmm…subtle whiff in mind. ;)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2014, 07:06:42 PM »
How about the RAAF, really missing having guns on their Canberra B20s (as per the .50cals and 20mm fitted to the USAF B-57s) in Vietnam for the COIN missions, adopts the Pave Gat M-61 Vulcan in an Emerson turret (as in the video back on page one). 

What I would really like is the RAAF, impressed with the Olympus Canberra demonstrator decides to order a Batch II from GAF using the existing jigs and fixtures, as a cheaper option than replacing them with V bombers.  The B20s would be relegated to the RAAF reserve, training, reconnaissance and maybe ESM/ECM as well as possibly selling remaining aircraft to the RNZAF.  While developing this improved version GAF becomes aware of the changes Martin are incorporating into the B-57B, in addition to those already adopted in the B-57A and follows suit introducing the rotary Bombay, tandem cockpit canopy and wing guns (4x30mm Adens though). 

These aircraft serve in Vietnam along side the USAF and adopt the Tropic Moon III and Pave Gat mods converting them into extremely viable COIN and close support aircraft that remain in service into the early 90s, last seeing combat during Desert Storm in 1991.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2014, 07:06:38 AM »
As an alternate to the above, maybe the RAAF acquire some Canberra B(I) Mk.12s interdictiors for use in Vietnam...or perhaps the RNZAF deploy theirs there...

Taking it one step further, what about a Canberra B(I) Mk.12 updated with FLIR and terrain following radar (say taken from Grumman Intruder) to provide basis for updated interdictor.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2014, 10:35:53 AM »
Well, they are not WHIFS but I believe the Canberra Kid won this war:

From 72nd Scale Aircraft
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2014, 09:42:41 PM »
What a fantastic collection, I have about a quarter of those shown including a RB-57D & F and a bunch of those weird Brit Canberras

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2014, 10:58:24 PM »
So what if there were a requirement to provide the Canberra (and B-57) with in-flight refueling capabilities?  Several aircraft from that time period were fitted with both AAR features.  Examples are the F-101 Voodoo, F-105 Thunderchief, and some versions of the F-84 Thunderjet/Thunderflash.   

If this practice had been continued for the B-57 it might have been given both types of refueling features.  For the British Canberra I would suspect it would be just the probe for the hose and drogue type connection.  As for the style of IFR probe, would it just stick out like probe on the A-4 Skyhawk, F-100 Supersabre, and, A-3 Skywarrior?  Where would it be located?  On the wing or fuselage?  Would space have been available to have the IFR probe hidden away under a door on the fuselage like the F-4 Phantom (Navy and Marines), F-101 Voodoo, and, F-105 Thunderchief?  How about a Canberra with the Tornado style semi-retractable IFR that was hidden away under a bulge/bump on the fuselage?

How about a KB-57 Canberra or a Canberra K?  Hose and drogue unit in the rear fuselage with the HDU from the KA-6D Intruder or KA-3 Skywarrior attached underneath the fuselage?

Any other suggestions?
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2014, 11:23:53 PM »
I have been toying with the idea of a B-57 derived night/all weather interceptor similar in concept to the EE. P.12 all-weather Canberra fighter.  Maybe arm it with early Sparrow missiles and/or Falcons.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2014, 11:28:32 PM »
Taking the aerial refuelling Canberra idea a step further, what about RAF Canberras operating in pairs with one as a buddy refueler so as to increase strike range?

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2014, 11:54:14 PM »
Use only the fuselage, paint it meat red, model up a bun, put mustard on it and voila, it's an oversized hot dog advertisement for some sidewalk cart.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2014, 12:36:08 AM »
In reference to the refueling probe location, if it was added on after the aircrafts final design it would be the exposed probe while is designed into the aircraft from the start it was the retractable type. At least from this era. So I don't believe the Canberra was initially designed with war in mind so an exposed probe would be appropriate. Of course it's your project, go any way you wish.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2014, 02:37:00 AM »
Taking the aerial refuelling Canberra idea a step further, what about RAF Canberras operating in pairs with one as a buddy refueler so as to increase strike range?

In the latest Air-Britain quarterly Aeromilitaria (Sept 2014), there's an 'in-flight' photo of Canberra (WH734) operated by Flight Refueling Ltd fitted out with a hose and drogue and refueling a Mk.8 Meteor (WE934). The caption says the event was the first jet-to-jet refueling in Jan 1954.  The hose drum is set at the forward end of the bomb bay.

And here's a photo of it refueling a Javelin --

http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/AI/AI56-1/21-2.jpg
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 02:42:13 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2014, 03:07:23 AM »
For a tanker version, go with the rotary weapons bay of the B-57 and use a bulged door as on the Buccaneer with the HDU at the aft end.

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2014, 01:21:03 PM »
In early 1956, the 4080th SR Wing moved to Laughlin AFB, Texas. Midair-refuelling capable RB-57Ds (Group B and the sole Type C) were deployed in 1957 to Rhein-Main AB, West Germany to support USAFE operations. All RB-57D operations were under heavy security and very little information ever leaked out about their early operations.
[Emphasise added]
[Source]

Offline PR19_Kit

• Likes to brag about how long his...wings are.
  • Made it at last!
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2014, 07:24:39 PM »
IIRC the RB-57Ds had AAR refuelling sockets somewhere on the fuselage. I have NO idea how I know this, but I'm sure I've read it somewhere.

'Goldfish Bowl' canopy Canberras might have had a job with having a probe in the nose somewhere as there's precious little space to get the pipework past the cockpit area. Perhaps a roof mounted probe a la Buccaneer that ends up directly over the canopy so the pilot can see the action properly? Maybe a wing mounted probe like the USAF F-84s had?
Regards
Kit

--------------------------
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2014, 09:14:11 PM »
IIRC the RB-57Ds had AAR refuelling sockets somewhere on the fuselage. I have NO idea how I know this, but I'm sure I've read it somewhere.

'Goldfish Bowl' canopy Canberras might have had a job with having a probe in the nose somewhere as there's precious little space to get the pipework past the cockpit area. Perhaps a roof mounted probe a la Buccaneer that ends up directly over the canopy so the pilot can see the action properly? Maybe a wing mounted probe like the USAF F-84s had?

Why not like the Valiants?  A nose mounted probe with external pipework to carry the fuel around the goldfish bowl to the fuel tanks behind?