Author Topic: What to build?  (Read 7343 times)

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
What to build?
« on: July 19, 2014, 06:19:24 AM »
Hopefully in the early part of October,I will be building something for a 1946 group build on another site. One of the rules is,no technology/weapons past late 1945. Basically,it is if W.W.2 went into 1946. I have yet to decide what to build. Here are some choices.

Syrian E-25

Syrian Sturmgeschutz III or IV.

M18 tank destroyer with a Sherman T23 turret.

M4A1E8 Sherman with an A2 diesel engine deck,and the turret from an M36,
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: What to build?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 06:40:22 AM »
Syrian Sturmgeschutz III or IV. :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 06:48:11 AM »
M4A1E8 Sherman with an A2 diesel engine deck,and the turret from an M36

Sounds neat!  Only suggestion would be to make sure to include the turret roof covers and use version with the 90mm gun!
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 06:00:47 AM »
Thanks for the replies Greg and Cliffy. :)
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 06:05:18 AM »
Not on your list but something that sparked my imagination and thought it should be shared with you: How about an M22 Locust with the turret from the M8 Scott 75mm Howitizer Motor Carriage?  You can make M22 airborne 75mm Howitzer Motor Carriage with the M8 turret and then turn around and put the Locust turret on the M8 or the M3/M5 Stuart to make a different looking Stuart with a cast turret instead of the squarish welded arrangement usually seen on that vehicle. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 06:07:08 AM »
Not on your list but something that sparked my imagination and thought it should be shared with you: How about an M22 Locust with the turret from the M8 Scott 75mm Howitizer Motor Carriage.  You can make M22 airborne 75mm Howitzer Motor Carriage with the M8 turret and then turn around and put the Locust turret on the M8 or the M3/M5 Stuart to make a different looking Stuart with a cast turret instead of the squarish welded arrangement usually seen on that vehicle.

Very interesting.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 06:10:47 AM »
Not on your list but something that sparked my imagination and thought it should be shared with you: How about an M22 Locust with the turret from the M8 Scott 75mm Howitizer Motor Carriage.  You can make M22 airborne 75mm Howitzer Motor Carriage with the M8 turret and then turn around and put the Locust turret on the M8 or the M3/M5 Stuart to make a different looking Stuart with a cast turret instead of the squarish welded arrangement usually seen on that vehicle.
Very interesting.
I knew that would get your attention :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 08:57:29 AM »
how about a "desperado" lash-up ? ... any tank hull with big artillery mounted on top.  There were Pz-IV with Pak-38 (bridge-layer after use) & Pak-40, a German 8x8 A/car with Pak-38 etc.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 09:32:18 AM »
Syrian Sturmgeschutz III or IV. :)

seconded  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 11:21:11 AM »
M4A1E8 Sherman with an A2 diesel engine deck,and the turret from an M36

Sounds neat!  Only suggestion would be to make sure to include the turret roof covers and use version with the 90mm gun!

I'll second this one.

AND

Not on your list but something that sparked my imagination and thought it should be shared with you: How about an M22 Locust with the turret from the M8 Scott 75mm Howitizer Motor Carriage?  You can make M22 airborne 75mm Howitzer Motor Carriage with the M8 turret ..... 

This one!

:)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 12:23:35 AM »
The first two require a major history rewrite to get the German equipment to Syria.

In OTL, Syria was under French control when the war started, under Vichy control following
the French campaign, invaded and taken over by Free French and British forces in 1941,
Free French control until "independence" in 1944 (on paper, the French stayed through 1946
and actually bombed Damascus in May 1945 and attempted to arrest the democratically
elected Syrian leaders), declared war on Germany and Japan in February 1945. True
independence April 1946.

So, the US vehicles would be more likely "real world" terms,  ;), but I could see a captured
and refurbished ex-Afrika Korps Stug III assigned to the new Syrian Army.
 ;D

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 01:22:53 AM »
Stug III  :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 02:53:00 AM »
The first two require a major history rewrite to get the German equipment to Syria.

In OTL, Syria was under French control when the war started, under Vichy control following
the French campaign, invaded and taken over by Free French and British forces in 1941,
Free French control until "independence" in 1944 (on paper, the French stayed through 1946
and actually bombed Damascus in May 1945 and attempted to arrest the democratically
elected Syrian leaders), declared war on Germany and Japan in February 1945. True
independence April 1946.

So, the US vehicles would be more likely "real world" terms,  ;), but I could see a captured
and refurbished ex-Afrika Korps Stug III assigned to the new Syrian Army.
 ;D

I think the Syrian reference comes from the fact that Syria received around 60 Panzer IVs that were refurbished in France during 1950-1952, followed by 50 others purchased from Czechoslovakia in 1954.  Moreover, Syria did in fact also have some Sturmgeschütz IIIs as well.  These were sourced from either France or the USSR:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:57:19 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 04:34:59 AM »
Yep, I'm aware of the Syrian panzer history, but they didn't have them in 1946.  ;D
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 04:48:15 AM »
I have permission to tie my build in with another member from this site. Here is his back story.
http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/1946/148601-m38-nevada-front

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 04:50:21 AM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 02:13:46 AM »
Yep, I'm aware of the Syrian panzer history, but they didn't have them in 1946.  ;D

Doh!  I missed the 1946 bit... :-\

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 06:54:30 AM »

Doh!  I missed the 1946 bit... :-\

For this build,Syria would have some armor in 1946.  :)