Author Topic: Stevensons rocket as is and was  (Read 3813 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Stevensons rocket as is and was
« on: April 14, 2014, 05:10:49 AM »
hi all i was looking at a model of Stevensons Rocket and realised the one in the history museum bares no resemblance to the one we all know as he continued to modernise and try to improve on his original train so i thought i would do a dio to show the difference between how it was and how it actually is. those eagle eyed amongst you  will all notice the faces are not painted, i went to have my eyes tested at the optometrist yesterday and took my glasses off for the test and would you believe it they fell apart the frame snapped and the lens fell out, so this build has been finished wearing one lens and i could not see to paint the faces and it will be a fortnight till i get my new ones.

so whats the verdict what do you think

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: Stevensons rocket as is and was
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 06:20:03 AM »
That's no way to treat Sir Topham Hat! :o :(
Nice work!

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 05:05:09 PM »
_very_  Timburton-esque!!!!
 ;) ;D

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:52:47 PM »
Poor Rt. Hon. Huskisson!

What incredible realism.

Brian da Basher

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 12:35:59 AM »
And the prize goes to Brian for knowing who the victim is

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:30:18 PM »
fun !
I presume these are the Airfix/Dapol kits.  Would be fun to have a go on the larger Entex?/Academy one & other Airfix early loco.

Can you say a bit about the conversion of the black engine ?  Looks like you shaved down the boiler removing the wooden planks that are such a feature of most early locomotives.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 06:32:50 PM »
Yes I shaved off the planning and removed the two domes off the top not sure what they are but they are not on the one in the Science museum ,I also altered the angle of the pistons and altered the end of the boiler, on the one in the Science museum the funnel is completely enclosed in the end of the boiler, then I added rivet detail. On the tender I moved the water tank to make way for the crane (which was ok as the tender which no longer exists was altered and the tank was slung underneath ) the crane I fashioned out of copper wire soldered and some plasticard with a bit of rivet detail. I did the rivets by drilling small holes inserting fishing line then cutting it off as close as I could with a pair of scissors, once painted I think the effect is quite convincing and very easy to do.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 04:56:11 AM »
I might have a go at something similar - I'm a great fan of vertical boilers - I know they usually don't work well but the do look sexy !
Not a great choice of pastic kits out there tho (a few working HO models but expensive to chop up !).

I remember seeing "Rocket" on a siding from our train in the early '60's when my dad took us to the science museum.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:14:48 AM by raafif »

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 10:03:28 AM »
 Well that's ghastly....Bravo!