Author Topic: Amt 1\25 Plymouth Fury (Christine)  (Read 17941 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Amt 1\25 Plymouth Fury (Christine)
« on: March 26, 2014, 11:58:26 PM »
hi all thought I would post the progress on my AMT Christine

I do feel a bit ripped off by AMT the box says Christine and we all know the film was made using a Belvedere
but since it says on the box Christine i was not expecting to have to remove the Belvedere badges off the car. so this kit is really a reboxed 1\25 Belvedere kit (which i bet if i looked would be cheaper than the kit ibought), anyway with that rant out the way what do you think so far.
once I have built it out of the box i am going to make a dio of her from the film where she kills moochie, but i want to do it as if it is being filmed so i have to either scratch build a bulldozer or see if i can find a reasonably priced 1\25 kit to push her into the loading bay as they did on the film.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: Amt 1\25 Plymouth Fury (Christine)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 12:05:33 AM »
 :)
Cant wait to see the finished product.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 04:08:29 AM »
Looking good I too cant wait to see the finished product.
Lotta careful masking to paint silver.  Love those tail fins :-*

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 05:01:14 AM »
A little update

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »
Looking good!  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 12:03:07 PM »
Nice job.  :)

As you figured the kit is a re-release of the AMT Belvedere kit with all of its errors intact.
The only new stuff are the decals and packaging.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 06:33:16 PM »
well this is the kit built now to start on the dio any ideas how i am going to crumple the wings up.

I did think about cutting them off and trying to scratch build some bent up ones but not sure my skills are up to that, then i thought about taking a blow torch to her and bending her that way but there is a lot of plastic on the front there and i think that would be to risky to recover from should it all go wrong.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
Very nice

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 12:47:04 AM »
Very nice!

I thought the movie was made using a Belvedere, and if the kit is a Belvedere, then I guess I am not seeing what the problem is? Or did the movie use a Belvedere with Fury badging?

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 01:03:22 AM »
yes she was supposed to be a plymouth Fury not a plymouth Belvedere

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 04:14:00 AM »
Nice work.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 02:53:53 AM »
Wow is that sweet! The paint work and finish are outstanding!

Brian da Basher

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 04:13:49 AM »
Hi all I have made a start on the dio and it is going to be a long slog. I am making the walls of the loading bay out of foam board and I tried printing the bricks off but it is almost impossible to get the scale right and anyway it just doesn't look right as there the mortar line is smooth, so I thought I would use foam board and draw the scale bricks on it as, if you press reasonably hard you can leave an impression which will hopefully look more like a mortar line. Well that's a job I wish I hadn't started(still hopefully it will be worth the effort) .

Incidentally we know the film is full of mistakes, like the bit I am doing where he could have quite easily got away by jumping on Christines bonnet and running over the top of her, well I have thought of another flaw it's supposed to be a loading bay, usually an arctic can fit in a loading bay, but if Christine can't fit in there that means even a van can't, that makes it a pretty useless loading bay.
Here are some pics of the 1\24 scale wall with the mortar colour painted I know it looks orangy but trust me its not, dont know what happens with my camera sometimes.

was hoping that the last pic would show the bricks effect but it shows a lot better on the next one.

I think the effect will be better when i paint the bricks, this has taken me 2 days so far and i recon I will need at least 1 more to finish all the brickwork.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 01:13:56 AM »
Hi guys need some help I have been trawling the Internet trying to find pics of the type of cameras used in the filming of movies, in particular the type they have on wheels that extend on rams for filming shots looking down on the subject but can find nothing. I have typed in boom cameras and variations on that as I thought that's what they were called but can find nothing of any use. I need some pics so I can scratch build one for my Christine dio (preferably of an 80s type, can anyone in the know tell me what they are actually called so I can Google them, any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance Ken.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 02:46:02 AM »
Hi guys have started on the base it is going to be quite large when finished 510 x 700
i also managed to get some pics of a camera from 1980s of the type used in the film so, because its a photo I had to scale it up to full size then scale it back down to 1\25, I used the hand grip as a starting point in order to scale it up then reduced the measurements by 1\25 when i actually build it i will round the fractions up (I mean were only talking fractions of a millimeter.
when it comes to the dolly that is going to be a whole new ball game to scale up then down.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 04:07:40 AM »
made a start on the camera

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 04:17:18 AM »
Well considering how small it is I am really pleased with my scratch built camera and stand.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 04:38:19 AM »
That's a nice rendition of a period 'video' camera, unfortunately it doesn't look much like the Panavision 35mm film cameras they used.

Here is Carpenter on the set of Christine in 1983 with a Panaflex in the background:
conspiracy.”

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 02:47:15 AM »
Thanks for that back to the drawing bord then i suppose.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 03:37:16 AM »
Hi all I have decided to get back to Christine and here is what i have so far

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 02:59:17 AM »
thanks all for the encouragement done a bit more on the stageing

this is what i am using for the TarMac

I have used the pva glue round the patches and the joins I am hoping it will look like the liquid tar they use to fill the joins on a TarMac road when painted black also i will be injecting pva under the sandpaper in a few places to make it uneven and i am going to try and create the wrinkle you get when the Tar cracks in the heat.
I did think about printing a Hershes bar ( Ithink thats what they are called) wrapper reducing it to 1\24 screwing it up with a bit of foil and chucking it in the loading bay against the end wall for some wind blown rubbish, will have to do some research on what type of junk food was avaliable then so I can add some to the dio.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 08:25:02 PM »
Hi all after a lot of searching the web for a reasonably priced 1\24 - 1\25 Bull Dozer I decided I am not payin £80-100 quid and then £20 quid postage (as most of them seem to be in the good old US of A. I thought I would buy a 1\16 scale and cut it down to 1\24 as it looked like a simple enough job.
well the Dozer has arrived and I think it's an Oops moment I chose it as it looked a simple cut up and reassemble as a 1\24 model but its a lot more detailed than i thought, and it is HUGE I put it on the dio just to see the effect and i wont get away with that scale.

as you can see it towers above everything, the way I see it I could cut the roof off the Cat and see if it looks like i can get away with that or i shorten the dio and sort of just show the shovel of the Cat and leave the rest to everyone's imagination, I am open to suggestions Guys, help !!! any suggestions at all will be welcome.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 11:48:15 PM »
I guess it all comes down to what sort of presentation you'd be happiest with.

I always remember the great Kelly Johnson's sage advice K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

For me, all the work cutting down the cab and upper engine on the bulldozer would be too much and I'd probably stuff it anyway.

Were this mine, I'd go with just the blade of the Cat and leave the rest to the viewer's imagination.

This would be in keeping with the official BTS slogan of "Where Imagination Trumps Reality".

Brian da Basher

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 12:34:23 AM »
thanks Brian I think what i am going to do is try to cut the dozer up because even if it fails I will still have the blade and could just, as you say show that, if I do stuff it up it will be a loss of £22 cause thats how much the Cat cost.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 01:45:02 AM »
Ok I have managed to figure out how it comes apart and here are the constituant parts. I still have no idea where to begin there are so many parts which when cut will affect so many other parts.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 03:19:09 AM »
Ok I have started hacking these first 2 pics show the difference in size of the cab when cut down

I think I have miss calculated on the bonnet width and it is a bit narrow but i can always alter that later if it looks too bad.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 12:26:41 AM »
Hi Guys I am excited my figures came today from China via Ebay a full fortnight early

I have got 5 packets and each packet contains these figures
I have changed the bonnet on the Dozer as it was too narrow I think it still is but thats the best I can do.

I thought I would make this a non sexist dio and will be having a woman driving the Dozer.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 03:35:18 AM »
Hi Guys  have started painting the Dozer

thats the base coat

dont know what to do with the tracks (only built one tank and that was in mud) no idea what to do with road going tracks. Do I highlight a lot of silver where the Tar has worn the rust off, would they still be muddy, I dont know any help here please.

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 05:14:13 AM »
That dozer conversion is waaaay neat !!!!!  8)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2014, 10:10:34 PM »
Hi all another update I have started doing the scaffolding.

I have put the video camera in there just to give an idea of the look I have not finished the Panavision 35 mm camera yet.

the previous pic shows the start of the Panavision camera and the difference in size to the video camera.
the tracks are off the Dozer as I am attempting to weather them.
Loads more to do there is the lighting, chopping up the figures to get them in the right position, details in the loading bay, got to do something with the Tar Mac. The list seems to keep growing all the time.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2014, 03:49:23 AM »
another update
I have chosen the figure to be Moochie will need some fattening up and shortening also needs a Hoodie but it's the best in the bunch of figures I have

also made some progress on the Panavision camera

not sure how i am going to clamp it to the scaffolding yet but will no doubt figure something out.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2014, 10:34:23 AM »
Holy Cr@p! That Panaflex is awesome! :icon_surprised:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 03:16:50 AM »
Nice camera.  :)

Lemme look through my early '80s American Cinematographer issues/cuttings and I'll see
if I can find a good pic of a mount.

conspiracy.”

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2014, 02:02:39 PM »
Thanks have cobbled together an invented one as I can only find pics of it attached to a dolly and there is no room on the scaffold for the dolly as well, I would like to have something a bit more realistic than the one I've made.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2014, 03:48:20 AM »
Ok Guys and Galls this is my worst subject so be gentle with me here is my first set of figures for the dio sorry in advance I know they will let everything else down but Its the best I can do.

like I said sorry.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2014, 11:54:10 PM »
Hi Guys and Galls I have decided to add a beverages trailer to the dio and it will be towed by this poor old girl

she is missing a wheel apart from a bit of cosmetic work she is ok I have gone through my spares box and from the dozens of sets of wheels i have I dont hav a single set of four so I think I will do 2 small wheels on the front an 2 larger wheels on the rear, I dont think it will look too out of place with the roof chop.
I will be scratch building the trailer got a few ref picie's I want to do this as there will be a lot of boring Tar Mac on the dio otherwise.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2014, 12:36:40 PM »
OK, have looked through my stuff and, of the photos I could find, most show the camera
mounted on a short legged, stoutly built tripod when not on a dolly or motion-control rig.
This includes ground level and 'platform/scaffold' setups. The semi-circle mount like you
have is mounted on the camera bottom and the tripod head has a couple of control wheels,
very similar in appearance to those on an artillery piece.

HTH

conspiracy.”

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2014, 04:19:44 PM »
Thanks for checking in was hoping that there would be some sort of clamping device, as you can see from the scaffolding there is no room for a tripod and I can't make the scaffolding any wider as it would be so far forward it would be nearly no top of Christine will just have to leave it as it is, the only other option would be to scrap the base and start again with a longer one and it is already so big its awkward to move around my model room (well I say room I mean cupboard). As I said thanks for checking.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2014, 12:07:42 AM »
Hi all couldn't resist putting all what I've got together so far I am quite pleased with the results.

the matchbox is where the generator will be when complete as I think its about the right size, not sure yet as I have not started to build it yet. cant find a kit of one so will have to be another scratch built one.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 03:37:58 AM »
Hi all did some work on the base tonight, think it looks a bit better now

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2014, 04:17:45 AM »
started working on the Mercury tonight took it apart enough to clean.
never realized how much detail there was inside (I dont know what possesed me on the colour scheme, cant find the instructions but I blame them I cant beleive I would choose colours like that) fixed the front wheel and the only wheels and tires I have for the back are too big so have had to jack up the rear suspension. dont know weather to change the colour scheme on the interior or not as once the body is on you cant see it. and I have noticed the rear bumper is missing and the drivers side rear lights are missing so that's another thing to fix but getting there.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2014, 12:45:30 AM »
Hi all another update been flitting about today doing a bit here and a bit there, not really finishing anything.
done some grass on the TarMac, did some work on the figures, done some work on the Trailer, and did some work on the Mercury.

you can see the grass in the next pic have to paint the glue brown or something when its dry.

not sure what to call the tea van its obviously got to be american, and not a tea van I would like to incorporate KP into the logo but have no idea at the moment.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2014, 04:00:11 AM »
I have done some work on the Super Troupers (that's film lighting apparently)there will be 4 of them not sure how i am going to put the wires for the leds yet but will think of something.

also did some rough ideaa for whats prob going on the trailer

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2014, 02:58:26 AM »
Hi all I think I've finished the generator

just need to make some sort of plugging in area which I will do when I know how many things will need plugging in to it .

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2014, 10:04:27 AM »
Well, the lights will have to plug into the generator to look realistic, so I would use actual wire for the leads & modify the generator to hold the battery(ies) & work an external feature into a switch.

Unfortunately that will mean rebuilding the genny, or building another one. ::)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2014, 12:15:21 AM »
Hi all my new leds have turned up. it always tickles me how big the box is they come in

but this time they came with a high quality brochure here are an assortment of pics from said brochure

all very nice so when I want my 30 million pound yachts lighting upgraded I know where to go.

Anyway thats not why I posted this is my simple but not particularly elegant method for lighting the super troupers
take one led

bend thus

make a plasticard tube the size of your chosen batteries. inset 2 batteries place bent led over the plastic tube and onto batteries

insert piece of plastic between the negative pole

light goes out. remove plastic card

light comes on.
now all I have to do is figure out how to get that inside the super troupers, the batteries and led slip in nicely, its figuring out the switch.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2014, 03:38:40 AM »
Hi all tonight's installment thought i ought to do some work on the director and his stuff and finish the lights. here is where I am at now.
Here is the little guy I am going to use as Mr John Carpenter.

with a little persuasion I got him to sit.

So now of course he needs a seat.

and here he is with the finished lights

so thats tonights installment.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2014, 11:46:15 PM »
Lights Camera action

I have got to say I am quite chuffed with John Carpenter

I dont know if he has one now but the photo I have with him on the set of Christine he is sporting a moustache so I have given my little man one, he dosn't look much like John, I mean john is much slimmer than mine and he is only wearing a jumper on the pic I have, but he could have been wearing a jacket earlier so not too worried about that.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2014, 03:34:48 AM »
Well I've started building the other 2 cameras this time they are not Panavision they are Cisca they are being built as a pair but I am giving one a different lens, also one will be on a tripod and the other will be on a dolly.

little bit more detail to put on them then build the tripod and the dolly, then the camera men\women the rest of the crew a boom mike I just suddenly thought of (i wonder if that could\would be mounted on the dolly with the camera) some kit boxes, film reels, all the cables then the dreaded crushing christine into the loading bay.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2014, 03:45:11 AM »
Hi folks and tonights update is,

got to try and figure out how to attatch the seat to the dolly for the camera man/woman to operate the camera and then figure out how to attatch the boom mike to the camera then some wheels for the dolly. We really are on the home run now.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2014, 03:23:02 AM »
Well this shows you how far along we are I have started crushing christine into the loading bay I am so nervous, this is make or break. I have the bumper and grill bent into it, it's now the car. No pics I really should have Christines lights working but to late now I think especially when. The wings are crushed in (not enough room all my leds are 5mm) and I can't damage the paintwork as I mixed the colour and spilt the pot I had it in, so if I ruin the paint I have to spray the whole car again.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2014, 12:57:16 AM »
Well,,,,,,,, it's,,,, Finished!!!

unfortunately one of the super troupers failed and to fix it I would have to take it all apart, so, since its glued in place it will have to stay off (insert swear word here).
So what do you think have I pulled it off

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2014, 02:45:11 AM »
Well done.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2014, 03:18:12 AM »
Wow ........... some great work here, esp love the lighting and the scratched cameras  8)

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2014, 09:00:55 AM »
Niiice!!!

But ya know the shitters'll hate it.  ;)

conspiracy.”

Offline MaxHeadroom

• The man has built a jet Stuka, need we say more?
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2014, 12:11:40 AM »
A great idea and a rrreal good job!

Norbert

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2014, 07:57:12 AM »
I just saw the finished product and it is superb in both concept and execution.  "Bravo!", sir.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2014, 12:56:56 PM »
Is done! Is good! :)