Author Topic: Amt 1\25 Plymouth Fury (Christine)  (Read 17942 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Amt 1\25 Plymouth Fury (Christine)
« on: March 26, 2014, 11:58:26 PM »
hi all thought I would post the progress on my AMT Christine

I do feel a bit ripped off by AMT the box says Christine and we all know the film was made using a Belvedere
but since it says on the box Christine i was not expecting to have to remove the Belvedere badges off the car. so this kit is really a reboxed 1\25 Belvedere kit (which i bet if i looked would be cheaper than the kit ibought), anyway with that rant out the way what do you think so far.
once I have built it out of the box i am going to make a dio of her from the film where she kills moochie, but i want to do it as if it is being filmed so i have to either scratch build a bulldozer or see if i can find a reasonably priced 1\25 kit to push her into the loading bay as they did on the film.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: Amt 1\25 Plymouth Fury (Christine)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 12:05:33 AM »
 :)
Cant wait to see the finished product.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 04:08:29 AM »
Looking good I too cant wait to see the finished product.
Lotta careful masking to paint silver.  Love those tail fins :-*

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 05:01:14 AM »
A little update

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »
Looking good!  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 12:03:07 PM »
Nice job.  :)

As you figured the kit is a re-release of the AMT Belvedere kit with all of its errors intact.
The only new stuff are the decals and packaging.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 06:33:16 PM »
well this is the kit built now to start on the dio any ideas how i am going to crumple the wings up.

I did think about cutting them off and trying to scratch build some bent up ones but not sure my skills are up to that, then i thought about taking a blow torch to her and bending her that way but there is a lot of plastic on the front there and i think that would be to risky to recover from should it all go wrong.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
Very nice

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 12:47:04 AM »
Very nice!

I thought the movie was made using a Belvedere, and if the kit is a Belvedere, then I guess I am not seeing what the problem is? Or did the movie use a Belvedere with Fury badging?

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 01:03:22 AM »
yes she was supposed to be a plymouth Fury not a plymouth Belvedere

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 04:14:00 AM »
Nice work.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 02:53:53 AM »
Wow is that sweet! The paint work and finish are outstanding!

Brian da Basher

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 04:13:49 AM »
Hi all I have made a start on the dio and it is going to be a long slog. I am making the walls of the loading bay out of foam board and I tried printing the bricks off but it is almost impossible to get the scale right and anyway it just doesn't look right as there the mortar line is smooth, so I thought I would use foam board and draw the scale bricks on it as, if you press reasonably hard you can leave an impression which will hopefully look more like a mortar line. Well that's a job I wish I hadn't started(still hopefully it will be worth the effort) .

Incidentally we know the film is full of mistakes, like the bit I am doing where he could have quite easily got away by jumping on Christines bonnet and running over the top of her, well I have thought of another flaw it's supposed to be a loading bay, usually an arctic can fit in a loading bay, but if Christine can't fit in there that means even a van can't, that makes it a pretty useless loading bay.
Here are some pics of the 1\24 scale wall with the mortar colour painted I know it looks orangy but trust me its not, dont know what happens with my camera sometimes.

was hoping that the last pic would show the bricks effect but it shows a lot better on the next one.

I think the effect will be better when i paint the bricks, this has taken me 2 days so far and i recon I will need at least 1 more to finish all the brickwork.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 01:13:56 AM »
Hi guys need some help I have been trawling the Internet trying to find pics of the type of cameras used in the filming of movies, in particular the type they have on wheels that extend on rams for filming shots looking down on the subject but can find nothing. I have typed in boom cameras and variations on that as I thought that's what they were called but can find nothing of any use. I need some pics so I can scratch build one for my Christine dio (preferably of an 80s type, can anyone in the know tell me what they are actually called so I can Google them, any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance Ken.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 02:46:02 AM »
Hi guys have started on the base it is going to be quite large when finished 510 x 700
i also managed to get some pics of a camera from 1980s of the type used in the film so, because its a photo I had to scale it up to full size then scale it back down to 1\25, I used the hand grip as a starting point in order to scale it up then reduced the measurements by 1\25 when i actually build it i will round the fractions up (I mean were only talking fractions of a millimeter.
when it comes to the dolly that is going to be a whole new ball game to scale up then down.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 04:07:40 AM »
made a start on the camera

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 04:17:18 AM »
Well considering how small it is I am really pleased with my scratch built camera and stand.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 04:38:19 AM »
That's a nice rendition of a period 'video' camera, unfortunately it doesn't look much like the Panavision 35mm film cameras they used.

Here is Carpenter on the set of Christine in 1983 with a Panaflex in the background:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 02:47:15 AM »
Thanks for that back to the drawing bord then i suppose.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 03:37:16 AM »
Hi all I have decided to get back to Christine and here is what i have so far

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 02:59:17 AM »
thanks all for the encouragement done a bit more on the stageing

this is what i am using for the TarMac

I have used the pva glue round the patches and the joins I am hoping it will look like the liquid tar they use to fill the joins on a TarMac road when painted black also i will be injecting pva under the sandpaper in a few places to make it uneven and i am going to try and create the wrinkle you get when the Tar cracks in the heat.
I did think about printing a Hershes bar ( Ithink thats what they are called) wrapper reducing it to 1\24 screwing it up with a bit of foil and chucking it in the loading bay against the end wall for some wind blown rubbish, will have to do some research on what type of junk food was avaliable then so I can add some to the dio.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 08:25:02 PM »
Hi all after a lot of searching the web for a reasonably priced 1\24 - 1\25 Bull Dozer I decided I am not payin £80-100 quid and then £20 quid postage (as most of them seem to be in the good old US of A. I thought I would buy a 1\16 scale and cut it down to 1\24 as it looked like a simple enough job.
well the Dozer has arrived and I think it's an Oops moment I chose it as it looked a simple cut up and reassemble as a 1\24 model but its a lot more detailed than i thought, and it is HUGE I put it on the dio just to see the effect and i wont get away with that scale.

as you can see it towers above everything, the way I see it I could cut the roof off the Cat and see if it looks like i can get away with that or i shorten the dio and sort of just show the shovel of the Cat and leave the rest to everyone's imagination, I am open to suggestions Guys, help !!! any suggestions at all will be welcome.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 11:48:15 PM »
I guess it all comes down to what sort of presentation you'd be happiest with.

I always remember the great Kelly Johnson's sage advice K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

For me, all the work cutting down the cab and upper engine on the bulldozer would be too much and I'd probably stuff it anyway.

Were this mine, I'd go with just the blade of the Cat and leave the rest to the viewer's imagination.

This would be in keeping with the official BTS slogan of "Where Imagination Trumps Reality".

Brian da Basher

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 12:34:23 AM »
thanks Brian I think what i am going to do is try to cut the dozer up because even if it fails I will still have the blade and could just, as you say show that, if I do stuff it up it will be a loss of £22 cause thats how much the Cat cost.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 01:45:02 AM »
Ok I have managed to figure out how it comes apart and here are the constituant parts. I still have no idea where to begin there are so many parts which when cut will affect so many other parts.