Author Topic: F-80 drop-tank bodied Bonneville Salt Flats racer.  (Read 2760 times)

Offline CSMO

• Don't need no filthy stinking airbrush!
  • Plastic Butcher, & Master of Three-foot Scale.
F-80 drop-tank bodied Bonneville Salt Flats racer.
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:44:51 AM »
In the '40s and '50s, American Hot-rod builders built speed record cars to race at the Bonneville Salt Flats using airplane drop-tanks for body shells.

One slow afternoon, I got the idea to build one in 1/72 using the junk parts in my scrap-box. In one hour and twenty minutes I came up with this. It is an Airfix F-80 tank, wheels from two FROG DH.88 Comets, and Revell SPAD exhausts combined with scraps from the bottom of the box(windscreen, scoops, seat, and steering wheel). Paperclip wire is used for the axles and the moon hubcaps are punched from .010 card with an office punch. I painted it freehand with Testors Silver and Gloss Red.

It is not pretty but some of the real ones were pretty crudely built. The U.S. penny gives the size of the little bugger.

Adios, Larry.

Field Artillerymen do it with a bigger BANG!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: F-80 drop-tank bodied Bonneville Salt Flats racer.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 02:59:50 PM »
Cute
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 02:00:08 AM »
Now load that in the back of a 1/72nd C-5.....

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 06:37:01 AM »
Cool.  Looks good

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 10:21:21 AM »
I remember those !   Back thru the 60's I was a huge fan of the car and hot rod mags.  I have to say that the only thing wrong with yours it ... It's TOO nicely done. Those guys weren't into good looks but speed.  You have just done TOO good a job,lad !    I must admit, this is a project I've always wanted to do. I just only build aircraft in the "one true scale".  I know yours is in it but I have always wanted to do one in 1/(24/5) scale. One day I'm going to do just that,too. 
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 06:31:07 AM »
Larry this is one of my favorites of yours yet!

It takes some skill to work in such a small scale and you sure have a winner with this little beauty!

Brian da Basher