Modelling > Aero-space

Sikorksy S-61 Sea King

(1/12) > >>

Jeffry Fontaine:
Wikipedia entry for the Sikorsky Sea King

Click for larger image
(Source: Wikipedia - Sikorsky Sea King)

Designed by Sikorsky to meet a U.S. Navy requirement and eventually put into production by Sikorsky and license production by Augusta, Mitsubishi, Westland, and United Aircraft of Canada.  The Sea King has been around for a long time and has performed many different missions with some more successful than others. 

A long time ago on another forum that shall remain nameless I put forth an idea to kit bash the Sea King with the Black Hawk in the same scale to come up with an amphibian helicopter that would have a Sea King appearance with much modification provided by the addition of the Black Hawk tail rotor, main rotor, tail empennage and what ever else could be added on with minimal effort.  The idea was met with some enthusiasm and one of the members volunteered to take on the project.  All of the kit parts for the project were boxed up and sent off to that member and not long after the project stalled thanks to life getting in the way of the hobby. 

I still like that idea of an improved Sea King with signature features that would set it apart from a stock Sea King.  As to what that would be really depends on how much putty and patience you have for such a project.  Granted, the original concept of an amphibian Black Hawk with a Sea King being the basis for the project might be a bit far fetched.  I think now that something a bit more conservative might be in order such as just replacing the main and tail rotors with the same parts from a Black Hawk to establish a visible difference.  Other bells and whistles such as a nose mounted FLIR would be attractive and of course some kind of interior which is seriously lacking in the 1/48th scale Hasegawa kit.  It would take little effort to add in the passenger seats from the Black Hawk and maybe the auxiliary fuel tank that is often found inside of the special operations Black Hawks to extend range.  Door guns for the passenger and crew doors would be sourced from the same Black Hawk kit as well as the forest of antennas that now appear on the top of the fuselage. 

That is all I have to start off this new topic.  Looking forward to seeing what others can suggest on this subject. 

***Edit to address broken image link -- jjf

Maverick:
Amongst others, this Sea King with H-60 powertrain was done by me for Damian many moons ago.

Regards,

John

taiidantomcat:
^ That is excellent  :-*

Litvyak:
Agreed, that looks /great/.

elmayerle:
There are a number of S-61s being rebuilt to a new S-61T standard with upgraded equipment fits.  A number of these are intended for US Department of State.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version