Modelling > Land

M3 and M5 Stuart Family of Vehicles

(1/24) > >>

Jeffry Fontaine:
Wikipedia - M3 and M5 Stuart Light Tanks

Click to view larger image

(Image source: Wikipedia

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I was pursuing an idea to mount the M8 Scott 75mm Howitzer Motor Carriage turret on the M113 Australian Army Fire Support Vehicle.  Both kits are quite old and have a lot of potential for modification.  I discovered that the M8 HMC turret will fit on the M113 FSV hull but it requires some major surgery to the ring in order to make it fit.  This was not the case for the Saladin turret from the M113 FSV fitting on the M5 (M8 HMC) Stuart hull.  It drops right in and there is no interference with the rear engine deck and the turret.  The resulting mock up was then imaged to share the idea here.

***With sincerest apologies, the image links are no longer valid***

So if anyone is in search of a quick and very easy modeling project involving to rather ancient Tamiya kits this might be just what you are looking for. 

GTX_Admin:
How about a tank destroyer type with fixed main gun...i.e. STUG type

Maverick:
Well, the Germans did it with the Hetzer (light tank into TD) so that's plausible.  The rear-mount engine has to be a bonus for that reason alone.

Regards,

John

Logan Hartke:
My gosh, that Saladin turret on a Stuart hull is brilliant!  Well done, I can't believe it wasn't done before.

Cheers,

Logan

Jeffry Fontaine:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on March 21, 2012, 05:15:53 PM ---How about a tank destroyer type with fixed main gun...i.e. STUG type
--- End quote ---

There was an anti-tank gun motor carriage based on the Stuart hull that had the engine mounted forward and the ordnance mounted at the rear of the hull.  Actually several variations on that theme but nothing that looked like a StuG Hetzer. 

I wonder what it will take to add HVSS to the Stuart hull to give it a different look.  The wider tracks would be a good thing for reducing ground pressure even further. 

Another possibility might be to try and fit the M24 Chaffee turret to the M5 Stuart hull. 

--- Quote from: Logan Hartke on March 21, 2012, 08:51:24 PM ---My gosh, that Saladin turret on a Stuart hull is brilliant!  Well done, I can't believe it wasn't done before.
--- End quote ---

Yes, it was an accident of sorts as it just fell into place without issue.  I had been focusing on the M8 HMC turret and trying to make that fit on the M113 FSV when I realized I had another whif staring me in the face with that Saladin turret on the Stuart hull. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version