Current and Finished Projects > Profiles and Pixels

Profile Requests

<< < (23/33) > >>

Gingie:
Just when I think I've come up with something original!

ptdockyard:
I think the Wendell-Williams XP-34 has a lot of potential. Here are plans and  an interesting page I found on Reddit. Of course I am thinking of a USN version but the AH ones are really cool!

Dave G

M.A.D:
Has anyone got a profile drawing of either the towed Polsten Quad 20mm and the experimental Canadian 6x6 Chassis Quad 20mm anti-aircraft gun?

(P.S. my apologies I don't know the manufacturer or designation of the Canadian 6x6 armoured vehicle😔)

Cheers
MAD

apophenia:

--- Quote from: M.A.D on July 20, 2021, 06:51:24 AM ---... I don't know the manufacturer or designation of the Canadian 6x6 armoured vehicle...

--- End quote ---

M.A.D: Don't have any drawings but the 6x6 you're looking for is the John Inglis Company Quad Mount conversion (aka AEDB Project 41).

A few details on the vehicle itself. The base vehicle was a Canadian Ford 4x6 chassis converted to 6×6 drive under the Army Technical Development Board's late 1942 Project 48. Actual chassis conversions were performed by Windsor-based H.V. Welles Ltd., the Canadian distributors for the US-made Thornton rear bogies used.

In its first incarnation, ATDB's 6x6 was a gun tractor (two test articles being sent to the UK for trials). As an artillery tractor, the 6x6 didn't seem to impress.  Meanwhile, back in Dec 1942, the AEDB had approved development of two mobile, wheeled AA concepts - Projects 41 and 42. The former was the mount you're interested in (Project 42, the John Inglis twin-mount Polsten concept, having been cancelled in Feb 1943). BTW, the prototype vehicle in your photos had an unarmoured 'cab' on the Quad Mount ... so a bit of a working mock-up.

Project 41 was wound up after trials and the quad Polsten turrets ended up being mounted on Canadian Army CMP 4x4s instead.

-- https://milart.blog/2014/09/07/6x6-artillery-tractor/

M.A.D:
Thank you for the clarification apophenia.

Hope you and your family are well Stephen during these crazy times!

Nice to put a name to the vehicle.
It seems a very neat and compact design all in all.

Thanks again for your assistance.

MAD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version