Current and Finished Projects > Aero-space

Firebrand GF 2

(1/3) > >>

Dr. YoKai:
Although the 'GF' designation was not destined to last long, the handful of Burney-armed aircraft that used it would make their mark
on the problematic German and Japanese hydrofoils that would prove so effective in the last two years of the war. With the small and
extremely fast attack craft making torpedoes all but useless in the channel and North Sea, the Firebrands TF IVs and Vs entering service
in 1945-46 were soon re-equipped with an airborne version of the 3.45 inch RCL developed by Sir Dennis Burney.

(I'm always a little nervous attempting back stories like this - but I have been putting off building my CzechMaster kit for far too long.)

DSCF0411 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Nothing too radical in terms of modifications, just the underwing gunpods. Fit has been less than stellar, as I think you can see from the
puttying. I will likely try and build this wheels up on a stand, and I am still a bit vague on a color scheme, but it should come together fairly quickly.
DSCF0423 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

The 'GF' is for 'Gunfighter', natch. I think the GF I is a Firefly with a pair of 40mm under wing. But it could just as easily be a
Swordfish with a Bates Eight-barreled Bottle thrower.

Buzzbomb:
Fantastic !

The Firebrand is right on topic and a terrific aircraft, it is a monster for a single seater. I built the Contrail Vacform many a year a go, so really interested to see how the Czechmaster kit comes up/

Dr. YoKai:
This should come together over the coming weekend - as you can see, construction isn't particularly involved, but the fit is less than ideal, calling
for a fair amount of putty work. I should be able to primer it some time this week.
DSCF0450 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

DSCF0449 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

It's a shame, because the surface detailing is superb. Very delicate panel lines and control surfaces, but not the greatest fit - I probably should have done more test fitting, but super glue and resin don't allow for much compromise. Currently trying to decide on a paint scheme. It will be either a blue/green/grey combo, or something...experimental.

Sport25ing:
One of my favourite 1946 aircraft's :3 (yes, I've bad taste)

Dr. YoKai:
 Thought I did this last night - Not quite finished, so if I could get this moved to the regular aviation sub forum, please. :-[ Still not quite settled on what scheme to use, and roundels... But I'm glad I finally started on it, anyhoo.

DSCF0480 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version