Current and Finished Projects > Aero-space

Lightning P1 Resurrection

(1/6) > >>

Robomog:
Hi all

This is a project that was started some time ago and has been put on the backburner so many times I  have lost the the original progress shots.

Here's the original model.....

by Robomog, on Flickr

The Heron in the background has already been restored.

So here is the brief, I want to resurrect the P1 using as much of the original as possible but I also want to make it a bit more presentable.

So objectives

1. Try and rescue the canopy

2. Cut out the forward blanking plate and move it backwards so it is less noticeable

3. Cut out the cockpit and pilot head area and add a proper cockpit/pilot

5. Add some jet pipes and and additional blanking plate at the back

4. Recreate the undercarriage and doors

And the story so far......

It has been taken apart (sort of, Mog the Younger was very generous with the glue in those days) and some of the replacement parts have been sourced from an incomplete Lightning kit.

by Robomog, on Flickr

The forward blanking plate and cockpit have been cut out and I am working on the cockpit detail, based around a Lightnig F6 seat and console

by Robomog, on Flickr

The jet pipes have been installed

by Robomog, on Flickr

The canopy has been revived somewhat but it's far from good, I will tack it place temporarily until I can source a decent part or  attempt to mold one

by Robomog, on Flickr

I have a lot of surface faults to clear up, mostly caused by myself trying to weaponise the aircraft for wargaming, but also some kit faults like those ejector marks on the wheel doors and fine raised lines where the decals should go.

by Robomog, on Flickr

This is gonna take a bit longer than I thought  ;)

Thanks for looking.......

Mog
>^-.-^<

Buzzbomb:
Working with old gold there. Looking forward to how it comes out at the end

apophenia:
Me too! Great to see a classic being restored  :smiley:

Robomog:
Thanks guys, a bit more progress

by Robomog, on Flickr

The cockpit tub now fits and a forward blanking plate has been installed. This leaves a convenient pocket under the pilots seat to place the nose weight. I did toy with contouring the inside of the air intake but whimped out,  way too many curves  ::)

by Robomog, on Flickr

I have virtually completed rubbing down all the pools of dried glue, so a bit of filling to do before the main assembly and more filler.

More when it happens...........

Mob
>^-.-^<

Kerick:
Have you considered a soak in Simple Green or similar degreaser to remove the old paint? The old paint may not play well with the new stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version