Modelling > Post Apocalyptic GB

Post-Apo VL Nomads

<< < (3/3)

Gingie:
I'm on the FMTV camper group! :-) A friend of mine wants to convert a Steyr 96 (HLVW) to an overlander.

There is a F450 superduty 4x4 quad cab for govt auction, only 36,000km. Tempted to build my overlander on that, instead of the Xterra I'm currently working on.

The HEMMT is insane! Hahah! You'd need a couple motorbikes for scouts.

apophenia:

--- Quote from: Gingie on September 24, 2021, 02:30:19 AM ---I'm on the FMTV camper group! :-) A friend of mine wants to convert a Steyr 96 (HLVW) to an overlander...

--- End quote ---

Interesting! I remember Mac Mackay at Truckfax mentioning surplused HLVWs a few years back. IIRC, the first HLVWs to go were the 25T wreckers (which couldn't suspend-tow the LAV III, HESV, MSVS, etc.).

I note that GC Surplus listings all specify "HLVW - Sold for Scrap Metal". Minimum bids start at $500 but winning bids average about $3k.

The listing are odd. A complete beater (wrecker?) just sold for #3,200. While another Petawawa sale in August (of what looked like a pristine cargo HLVW) went for $2,750. Go figure.

--- Quote from: Gingie on September 24, 2021, 02:30:19 AM ---...The HEMMT is insane! Hahah! You'd need a couple motorbikes for scouts.

--- End quote ---

Yep! I'm imagining a bike on either side hoist-mounted between the wheel pairs  :smiley:

Old Wombat:
Had to come one of the long ways home tonight due to a fatal MVA on the freeway & saw a beautiful ex-Army 'Mog sitting at the front of a property ... If only I'd had the cash when they were auctioning them off! :-*

Now, there's a basis for a survival camper/motorhome! :D

apophenia:
Sure, but why trust one German-made vehicle and not another?

Hmmm, what to do with that surplus Unimog 416 and a trashed Westfalia ...  ;D

GTX_Admin:
 :smiley:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version