Author Topic: AVRO Lancaster, Manchester, Lincoln and Shackleton (and derivatives) Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 88396 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
... But, RW got in the way ----

Don'tcha hate when that happens?  ;D

Good approach though. Hit 'em up for the floats only. Even if one had a 1/32nd Spit, I can't think what could be done with the rest of the conversion set ...
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Random idea for a subtle whiff:  RCAF Avro Lincoln in scheme such as below:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
What was really interesting was his follow up suggestion, that after 100 two stage Merlin Lancasters were built, production should switch to a higher powered version using a license manufactured version of the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp.  Now just imagine that a late war RAAF Lancaster III with three or four twin .50" cal turrets and four massive Double Wasp radials, that would be an interesting wiff build.

I have read a bit on this as well.  The plan was definitely for the DAP Lancasters/Lincolns to be R-2800 powered.  It is very tempting to model one.

Interestingly, there were also pushes from the USAAF for Australia to produce the P-47 using the same engine. A RAAF P-47 in P-51 scheme would also be interesting.

And right now I have four R-2800 resin nacelles/engines winging it's way over to here to do just that. I've been contemplating what the nacelles would have looked like, I'm leaning towards nacelles like what Tudors had ----

So the Quick Boost F7F R-2800 nacelles arrived a short while ago, and I've done a trial fit. I can report that the nacelle fits the Shackleton nacelle almost too perfect, like they were planned to be used in the first place.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Intriguing ... 

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Found on another site :- https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/luftwaffe-lancaster.38096/

model built by tc2324 on Fighter Control .co.uk - (pics no longer there).

NOTE :- the schrage-musik installation.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 07:41:45 AM by raafif »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues

model built by tc2324 on Fighter Control .co.uk - (pics no longer there).

He is a member here but hasn't posted for a couple of years.  You can see his work here.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 04:35:00 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Random idea:  what if the Avro Lancaster was given a similar modification to the Vickers Wellington High altitude models (Mk VI shown below) so as to give a High altitude (40,000ft or greater) capability?

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 01:31:21 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
 ;)  . . .

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
V Shackletons

« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 03:28:16 PM by ysi_maniac »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Interesting

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Those look fine.  V-Bomber fronts are cool modernization.  8)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
More reference than inspiration but my partner found this interesting period documentary for me ...

Avro Lancaster Bombers during WWII (36:21)
-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPg6Yqe0HB0

The caption reads: "Vintage footage in colour of a squadron of Avro Lancasters circa 1943."

That caption is inaccurate - the filmed operation was from 'HL' and No.170 didn't move to RAF Hemswell until November 1944 onwards The aircraft shown - Lancaster B.III RE126 (c/n 8545) - was completed in early 1945, then delivered to No.170 Squadron on 21 March 1945.

[/nerd mode] Anyway, plenty of interesting interior shots as well as bombing-up. At the very beginning, there is also footage of a Rose-Rice turret being installed and armed (0:24-0:58).
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Stolen from Secret Projects Forum

Helmover giant WWII torpedo

I recently read David Edgerton’s excellent “Britain's War Machine: Weapons, Resources and Experts in the Second World War” which made mention of the “Helmover” giant, R-R- Merlin powered aerial torpedo. This weapon was designed by Air Commodore William Helmore, PhD, MP, chief science adviser to the RAF in WWII and famous for the Turbinlite and his radio broadcasts of the Schneider Trophy races and D-Day. Most of his own scientific work was on ignition for internal combustion engines which he put to use in designing the huge Helmover torpedo.

Tony Williams described the Helmover as thus on another web forum:

"There's a ten-page chapter on it in 'Rolls-Royce Armaments' by David Birch, published by the Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust. An excellent book, BTW, with much information about lots of obscure projects.

The idea of the Helmover was that it ran for much of the time on or just under the surface (with a snort to provide air to the engine), under radio control from the aircraft which had dropped it (which would fly figure-of-eights at a safe distance above and behind it). On approach to the target it would be directed to submerge, the Meteor engine continuing to run via compressed air bottles. One problem was that it could not be guided when submerged.

Speed was 40 knots (surfaced or submerged) range 50 miles on the surface, three miles submerged. It carried exactly one ton of explosives, which should have been enough to deal with any ship. For use against ships in harbours protected by booms, they were experimenting with a nose shaped to ride up over such obstacles.

It was indeed sized to be carried in a Lancaster bomb-bay. There was a proposed ship-launched version which was much longer to provide more volume for fuel and oxygen cylinders. This measured 49'9" long and weighed 20,900 lb. Ranges were 150 miles surfaced, 8 miles submerged. I've no idea how they would have controlled that (perhaps a spotter plane) but it makes the 24" Long Lance look like a little toy..."

Images attached.

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues