Modelling > 1920s/1930s GB or Between the Wars GB

Halfway House Hawkers

<< < (4/4)

apophenia:

--- Quote from: robunos on June 28, 2021, 09:56:44 PM ---I have a scheme for a Gloster Gauntlet>Gladiator> Gxxxxxx series of Builds myself, may end up accidently borrowing some aspects of this...

--- End quote ---

Ooo, looking forward to that! Hopefully you'll come up with better names than I did  :-[

Kelmola:
A couple of years back on whatif forums (posting with different nick there), I already suggested possible Gloster names in "arms & armour" theme (what with Gauntlet, Gladiator, and Javelin, even though it begins with a J; a native English speaker may be better able to suggest earlier style bird names. To crosspost:

Gloster Gousset
Gloster Gambeson
Gloster Greaves
Gloster Gorget
Gloster Gardbrace
Gloster Guige
Gloster Greatsword
Gloster Guisarme
Gloster Glaive
or for a bit of Colonial style flavour:
Gloster Guangdao
Gloster Gada

apophenia:
Good stuff! I really like Greatsword and Gada  :smiley:  And someone recently used Glaive.

Here's a list of historically used alliterative Gloster aircraft names: Gannet, Grebe, Grouse, Gorcock, Gamecock, Guan, Goldfinch, Gambet, and Gnatsnapper. Other 'G' names were the ungulate Goral, armoured glove Gauntlet, and Gladiator.

I don't know what/whom the Gloster Goring was named after. Was it the Goring baronets? The Oxfordshire village?

Some other British Isles bird names for Glosters might be: Gadwall, Gallinule, Godwit, Goldcrest, Goldeneye, Goosander, Goose, Goshawk, Gosling, Greenshank, Grosbeak, Gull, or Guillemot. Some of those names are stepping on other aircraft makers' toes and none by Goshawk suggest anything martial.

Some more weapon names (including for export or empire): Gáe (Gaelic spear), Gladius, Gastraphetes, Galatine (Gawain's sword), Girish (Shiva's sword), Gram (Odin's sword), Gríðarvölr (Thor's giant-killing staff), Grus (Polish export), and Gungnir (Odin's spear). For the Danish Gauntlet, I briefly considered 'Grendel' before moving on to Danish bird names ...

Small brown dog:

--- Quote from: apophenia on June 23, 2021, 07:18:09 AM ---

--- End quote ---

This is another one I could fancy having a bash at - love it.

apophenia:

--- Quote from: Small brown dog on July 01, 2021, 02:15:15 AM ---This is another one I could fancy having a bash at - love it.

--- End quote ---

On please do! I'd love to see what you did with it  :smiley:

My sideviews are quite drab but I'm thinking that the prototype Harrier Mk.I might have been silver all-over. You know, shiny ... hint, hint  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version