Author Topic: Tupolev I-4 - A One Wing Biplane  (Read 5465 times)

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
Tupolev I-4 - A One Wing Biplane
« on: June 11, 2021, 03:54:32 AM »

Tupolev I-4 - A One Wing Biplane

Designed by Pavel O Sukhoi when a brigade leader of Andrei N Tupolev's AGOS (Aviatsiya, Gidroaviatsiya i Opytnoye Stroityelstvo - Aviation, Hydro-aviation and Experimental Construction) collective within the TsAGI (Tsentralnyi Aero-gidrodinamicheskii Institut -Central Aero and Hydro-dynamic Institute), the ANT-5 was the first Soviet all-metal fighter.
A single-seat sesquiplane powered by a nine-cylinder Gnome-Rhone Jupiter radial of 420hp, the first prototype underwent testing between 10 August and 25 September 1927. A second prototype, or dubler, with a 480hp Gnome-Rhone Jupiter 9ASB, was flown in July 1928, and underwent state testing between 1 December 1928 and 4 April 1929, series production of the type having meanwhile been initiated as the I-4.
 The first series I-4 underwent state testing between 15 October and 26 November 1929, subsequent aircraft having the 480hp M-22 engine, a licence-built version of the G-R Jupiter 9ASB, and an armament of twin 7.62mm guns. Second series aircraft had the  controllable slats occupying 44.5% of the remaining wing's leading edge, and an engine cowling incorporating cylinder helmets.
Designated I-4bis in this form, the prototype was tested by the NIl VVS, the Air Force's Scientific Research Institute, between 11 and 23 September 1931. No further development of the I-4bis was undertaken. Three I-4s were used for aerial launch and retrieval trials from 31 December 1931 by Vladimir S Vakhmistrov utilising a TB-1 bomber as an Aviamatka, or "mother aircraft". Also in December 1931, one I-4 was tested with a 76mm Kurchevski recoilless cannon mounted beneath each wing half.
A total of 369 I-4s was built to January 1934, these equipping 18 eskadrii at their service peak; the type remaining in first-line service through 1933 and for training  tasks until 1937.
The model carries the markings of the 'Krasnyye Strelki' (Red Arrows), the premier aerobatic display team of the Soviet Air Force during the Inter-War period.

Original text from Aviastar,org :-

http://www.aviastar.org/air/russia/ant-5.php

cheers,
Robin.

By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline robunos

Re: Tupolev I-4 - A One Wing Biplane
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 12:06:34 AM »

Okay, some progress on this Build . . .
As usual, fuselage assembly first.

The wings marked out for cutting,

and then cut.

I then marked and then trimmed the lower wing, to make the new centre-section.

Test fitting showed the wing roots needed trimming to get a decent fit to the fuselage,

This done, the wing parts were assembled.

While this was drying down, I turned to the tail feathers. Other Builds on line pointed out the difficulties with this part of the build, so I proceeded carefully. The tail parts, 

and assembled. The tailplane halves have to be joined, cutting off one of the tabs in the process, left to dry, then a slot filed in the joint to allow the fin to fit . . .

When all was dry, the wings, tail, and fuselage were mated.

Then the undercarriage was fitted, this needed to be altered as the front legs should fit to the fuselage, but now the wing is in the way . . .

Lastly, the helmets for the engine cylinders were added.

Next stop the Paint Shop.

That's All For Now, Stay Tuned . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 06:37:23 AM »
Your Tupolev fighter is looking sharp!

I assume that this the Nakotne/Encore kit. Looking at the parts, it would seem quite simple for the toolmaker to have devised a simpler tailplane assembly. Like mould the fin/rudder with the fuselage ... radical concept, I know  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline robunos

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 03:39:07 AM »
The edges of the flying surfaces are, but because of the moulded on detail, it's not really possible to smooth them off . . .
I assume that this the Nakotne/Encore kit. Looking at the parts, it would seem quite simple for the toolmaker to have devised a simpler tailplane assembly. Like mould the fin/rudder with the fuselage ... radical concept, I know  ;D
Mine's the Zvezda re-box, but checking with scalemates, it's the same kit. The tailfin is separate because it's possible to build the prototype ANT-5 from this kit, which has a different fin, but I agree, a better design would have been to have a one piece tailPLANE, with either a hole, or a slot, to take a peg on the fin . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 08:03:43 AM »
The edges of the flying surfaces are, but because of the moulded on detail, it's not really possible to smooth them off . . .

So, wing trailing-edges as serrated blades  ;D

... The tailfin is separate because it's possible to build the prototype ANT-5 from this kit, which has a different fin ...

Ah, that makes sense of it. Awkward to build, perhaps, but at least there's a logic behind it.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline robunos

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 09:59:17 PM »
The famous 'Russian Logic' . . .   ;D

cheers,
Robin.

Offline robunos

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 11:41:36 PM »

I've got a Silver Machine !      ;D    :icon_music:

Now off for masking and painting . . .

cheers,
Robin.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 11:44:35 PM by robunos »

Offline apophenia

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 11:39:54 AM »
... Now off for masking and painting

Looking good  :smiley:

I've got a Silver Machine !

" And I'm still feeling mean ..."  ;D

Lemmy Kilmister & Hawkwind Silver Machine 1972 Live
-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdTFeW8FCto

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 12:05:33 PM »
The biplane version looked ridiculous with that stunted lower wing. Your conversion looks far, far better!

Offline apophenia

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 03:14:19 AM »
The biplane version looked ridiculous with that stunted lower wing. Your conversion looks far, far better!

Agreed. I generally like the look of sequiplanes but Tupolev took it to an extreme with the RW I-4. The one-wing I-4 is a vast improvement  :smiley:

Offline robunos

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2021, 05:03:05 AM »
... Now off for masking and painting

Looking good  :smiley:

I've got a Silver Machine !

" And I'm still feeling mean ..."  ;D

Lemmy Kilmister & Hawkwind Silver Machine 1972 Live
-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdTFeW8FCto

Thanks,  :-[ . When I was a young man, I saw Motorhead live on their classic 'Bomber', Ace of Spades', and 'Iron Fist' tours . . I'm sure that's what done my hearing in . . .
The best comment from the linked video :- 'Absolutely no drugs were harmed during the making of this video'      ;D

cheers,
Robin.

Offline robunos

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 05:10:39 AM »

Agreed. I generally like the look of sequiplanes but Tupolev took it to an extreme with the RW I-4. The one-wing I-4 is a vast improvement  :smiley:

It was a logical progression, the first I-4 production series had a small lower wing, the second just had stubs, and the third and final batch were parasol monoplanes. The later I-14 had a low wing, and retractable undercarriage.

cheers,
Robin.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2021, 07:23:11 AM »
.. I'm sure that's what done my hearing in . . .

Kamerad!  My youthful hearing sailed through the 1970s (despite a worrying heavy metal habit) only to be sucker-punched by Iggy Pop in a tiny dancehall! ("Does that system go any louder Mr. Osterberg?" "What?!" "I said: Does that ...")

If only we could replay our misspent youths. If I had it to do again, I'd buy waaay bigger stereo speakers  :icon_music:

Offline robunos

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2021, 06:26:18 AM »

Actually, thinking about it, it's more likely to be the nearly thirty years I spent operating noisy printing machines with no ear protection . . .  :icon_nif:

If only we could replay our misspent youths. If I had it to do again,

Oh, how wonderful that would be ! With hindsight, I think that with every major, irreversible decision I had to make, I would the choose other option, instead of the one I did . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2021, 01:15:33 AM »
With hindsight, I think that with every major, irreversible decision I had to make, I would the choose other option, instead of the one I did . . .

There's no point rethinking the past.  You can't go back and change it.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline robunos

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2021, 04:13:50 AM »
With hindsight, I think that with every major, irreversible decision I had to make, I would the choose other option, instead of the one I did . . .

There's no point rethinking the past.  You can't go back and change it.

Well, not until I get my Time Machine up and running . . .   ;D   ;D   ;D
Seriously, you are correct, it's just I've had quite a bit of time on my hands recently, got to thinking about the past, playing the 'what-if' game with my life . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2021, 04:21:07 AM »
No point having those sorts of thoughts it will only depress you for no gain.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2021, 05:06:23 AM »
The possible combinations that atoms can form in is very large, but not infinite. Space is probably infinite, but we can only see a small fraction of the universe - limited by the expansion rate of space. If matter is distributed throughout the universe as it is in our little bubble, then there's an infinite number of yous out there, since the possible ways atoms can combine is not infinite. The other yous have done all the right and wrong things you can imagine.

There's probably one instance out there, where Tupolev decided that the stub wing on the I-4 was dumb, and made a one winged version instead.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 07:47:09 AM »
...  You can't go back and change it.

Quite true. And in my case, it turns out that a set of cheap, modern earphones are actually better than those '70s speakers anyway!

Weird as the present may get, its too easy to forget all of the benefits of 'living in the future'.

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2021, 10:19:43 AM »
After checking I-4 pictures, must your build looks much better.  Legit looking early monoplane.  :smiley:

Offline robunos

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2021, 05:29:33 AM »

Tupolev I-4, in the markings of the 'Krasnyye Strelki' (Red Arrows), Moscow, May 1931.

cheers,
Robin.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2021, 07:28:19 AM »
Oh, that is gorgeous  :-*  But, somehow still looks really business-like.

Love all that red and those oversized, slightly chubby stars  ;D

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2021, 08:04:46 AM »
Well that turned out  nice, very thirties   :-* :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Mòg
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2021, 01:05:19 PM »
Thinking of it as Russian P-26 equivalent.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2021, 02:08:12 PM »
That's nice! :D :smiley:

Obviously the chubby stars are to give the aircraft a "friendlier" look for the massed comrades, during fly-overs of May Day Parades. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."